• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do you dress the way you do?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many reasons but the one that strikes me as most likely is that my dad taught me how to dress, tie a tie, buy a shirt, coordinate colors, etc.... I've been living thousands of miles away from him for a long time now, but when I see him and he says I look sharp, it matters infinitely more to me than the approval of a hundred SFers. I guess it's a way to stay connected to him every morning when I get dressed, even if I don't see him as much as I'd like.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are many reasons but the one that strikes me as most likely is that my dad taught me how to dress, tie a tie, buy a shirt, coordinate colors, etc.... I've been living thousands of miles away from him for a long time now, but when I see him and he says I look sharp, it matters infinitely more to me than the approval of a hundred SFers. I guess it's a way to stay connected to him every morning when I get dressed, even if I don't see him as much as I'd like.

This really resonates for me. I learned from my father as well. Among my fondest childhood memories are shoe shining sessions with my father, usually Sunday afternoons. He also always made sure that my brother and I were put together properly for church on Sunday mornings. As he was a very busy man who spent precious little time with us these moments still stand out in my mind as times when I felt most loved by him.

He passed away two summers ago. I guess we won't need Holdfast to tell us how that might be connected to my recently revived interest in shoes. :embar:

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I try to dress well to look good for my personal happiness. When you dress well eventually people will gravitate towards what.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads