• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Days Of Wearing A Tie Are Numbered

millionaire75

Reaction score
http://www.gqmagazine.co.uk/daily_news/

WHY DAYS OF WEARING A TIE ARE NUMBERED The age of wearing a tie to work is on its way out, figures show. Just 40 per cent of big companies insist on formal dress, according to the Daily Telegraph. Smart casual dress, which includes a shirt but no tie, trousers not jeans and loafers but not trainers, is acceptable in more than half of firms

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
My company doesn't insist on it now.

I just do because it feels right to me. If anything, my dress has become considerably more formal in the past couple of years. Until they tell me to stop, I'll be wearing a jacket and tie to work.

torotoro

Reaction score
the worst part is when your company goes business casual and you still have 6-8 suits for every season along with a commensurate number of shirts and ties!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will wear ties 'till I'm in the grave.

Actually, I'll be wearing a tie in my grave.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not around these parts.

kali77

Reaction score
Unfortunately here in Annapolis, MD it is extremely casual. I still wear a tie everyday with either a suit or sportscoat. Unless I am downtown near the state capital I hardly ever see people wearing ties
frown.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I love the idea of formerly conservative items becoming symbols of rebellion--suits, ties, fountain pens, hats.
I see it as standing athwart sartorial decline, yelling stop.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I love the idea of formerly conservative items becoming symbols of rebellion--suits, ties, fountain pens, hats.

+1

esp as tattoos and shaved heads are no longer. This fall I will rebel by wearing tweed and neckties profusely

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LD, I don't know if you will be happy about this (depends if you want them or not), but I recently read an article that said that men with deeper voices have more children (probably for the same reasons that women find them more attractive.)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I've been hearing prophecies of this sort for a long time. I still see a helluva lot of ties for sale, so somebody must be buying them. I shall continue wearing them with great regularity. An act of rebellion? By all means--a defense of civility and decency and a protest against the slobwear regnant in contemporary America.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
The good news, according to the same source, is that women prefer men with deeper voices. Years of practicing my Barry White schtick are finally going to pay off.

just don't slip up and accidentally crack that voice

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Women seem to like Mandy Patinkin, so I think I'm good either way.

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads