• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know who that is, so I'm not sure whether that's a compliment or a sarcastic swipe. Since you're a screen name on the internet, I'll just remain neutral for now and take another sip of coffee.
He fought The Flash a couple seasons ago:

Kilo11

Reaction score
Don't forget to keep your back straight while sipping the coffee.

So....seriously man... Like... I mean.... what you are saying kind of makes sense. But... like.... might sound a bit like... like... army, prison, monastery, concentration camp life style... so, so.. like... you gotta live a li'le.

I'm pretty sure I pointed out that I didn't mean everybody should be stuffy/uptight. Look, I grew up with nothing. Lived in a barn for awhile when I was a kid. My grandfather was a farmer and once got pissed because my mom and her siblings have him some navy trousers for Christmas. He refused to wear them because "Farmers wear khaki and bankers wear navy. All my friends will think I'm trying to show off." (He was pretty wealthy, but the kind of man who didn't want anyone to know that he was.) That's where I come from. I'm not some pedigreed guy looking down his nose at the peasants.

The overall point that I am making is that society is in a downward slide in terms of our collective expectations. Prestige isn't placed in the scientists, researchers, and others who are a net benefit to society. We idolize the ******* Kardashians. Think about the youngest one. One of the youngest (if not THE youngest) "self-made" billionaires. What does she actually offer to the world? Absolutely ******* nothing. The root of her success stems from her older sister making a adult content with a rapper and then making a name for herself by epitomizing the lack of virtue. A family of degenerates held in such high regard that the youngest can simply have a cosmetics company slap her name on some lipstick and because she has so many "fans" and "followers", boom, billionaire. Being an "Instagram influencer" is more profitable and held in higher regard than being a scientist.

It makes sense because as a whole, we've dumbed down nearly every aspect of society so that it takes less effort to meet expectations. In virtually every single aspect, we've adopted the collective attitude of "I don't want to be at the bottom, but RISING to the challenge it too much effort so I'll just demand that the bar be lowered to meet me." "Playing by the rules is hard, so I'll change the rules to accommodate my laziness."

Everybody gets a trophy. Obese people pushing the "beauty at every size" instead of taking care of themselves. People half-assing their work because "Who cares? Is it Friday yet? Gah..." People wearing shorts and flip flops, sipping Starbucks in church because "God doesn't care how I'm dressed." He probably isn't going to toss you into hell for the cargo shorts, but I'm sure He appreciates the gesture when you put a little bit of effort into treating the occasion like it matters. (Not pushing a religious narrative...just using it as an example.)

Every trend is to the more casual because it requires less effort. Casual dress, casual morals, casual standards, casual expectations, casual relationships, casual everything. I'm not a fan. It starts with the individual. Act like you're serious.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I pointed out that I didn't mean everybody should be stuffy/uptight. Look, I grew up with nothing. Lived in a barn for awhile when I was a kid. My grandfather was a farmer and once got pissed because my mom and her siblings have him some navy trousers for Christmas. He refused to wear them because "Farmers wear khaki and bankers wear navy. All my friends will think I'm trying to show off." (He was pretty wealthy, but the kind of man who didn't want anyone to know that he was.) That's where I come from. I'm not some pedigreed guy looking down his nose at the peasants.

The overall point that I am making is that society is in a downward slide in terms of our collective expectations. Prestige isn't placed in the scientists, researchers, and others who are a net benefit to society. We idolize the ******* Kardashians. Think about the youngest one. One of the youngest (if not THE youngest) "self-made" billionaires. What does she actually offer to the world? Absolutely ******* nothing. The root of her success stems from her older sister making a adult content with a rapper and then making a name for herself by epitomizing the lack of virtue. A family of degenerates held in such high regard that the youngest can simply have a cosmetics company slap her name on some lipstick and because she has so many "fans" and "followers", boom, billionaire. Being an "Instagram influencer" is more profitable and held in higher regard than being a scientist.

It makes sense because as a whole, we've dumbed down nearly every aspect of society so that it takes less effort to meet expectations. In virtually every single aspect, we've adopted the collective attitude of "I don't want to be at the bottom, but RISING to the challenge it too much effort so I'll just demand that the bar be lowered to meet me." "Playing by the rules is hard, so I'll change the rules to accommodate my laziness."

Everybody gets a trophy. Obese people pushing the "beauty at every size" instead of taking care of themselves. People half-assing their work because "Who cares? Is it Friday yet? Gah..." People wearing shorts and flip flops, sipping Starbucks in church because "God doesn't care how I'm dressed." He probably isn't going to toss you into hell for the cargo shorts, but I'm sure He appreciates the gesture when you put a little bit of effort into treating the occasion like it matters. (Not pushing a religious narrative...just using it as an example.)

Every trend is to the more casual because it requires less effort. Casual dress, casual morals, casual standards, casual expectations, casual relationships, casual everything. I'm not a fan. It starts with the individual. Act like you're serious.
What are your thoughts on lobsters?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think this is where we part ways. Sorry, but you're degenerating into Drunk Uncle territory now.

Back to suits. I like to dress well at work for many reasons. I also spend a lot time with the younger generation here. They are different and it's okay to accept that. I just set my own example and leave it at that for the most part.

Kilo11

Reaction score
I think this is where we part ways. Sorry, but you're degenerating into Drunk Uncle territory now.

Back to suits. I like to dress well at work for many reasons. I also spend a lot time with the younger generation here. They are different and it's okay to accept that. I just set my own example and leave it at that for the most part.

Fair enough. Coffee time is over anyway. Time to get cracking. Enjoy your day.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm with you man, although you do sound like a drunk uncle (thanks @smittycl ) . I happen to like people with temperament.
You'll be OK. Hope you don't try to seriously and radically right all the wrongs of the society you pointed out. ;-)

Kilo11

Reaction score
I'm with you man, although you do sound like a drunk uncle (thanks @smittycl ) . I happen to like people with temperament.
You'll be OK. Hope you don't try to seriously and radically right all the wrongs of the society you pointed out. ;-)

I certainly have opinions and don't mind expressing them, but with regard to actions, I mostly just worry about me. I take offense to very little in life, and certainly not to differences of opinion with people on the internet.

In the mornings, I drink coffee and partake in the normal associated activities. I take my time and to pass that time, I usually catch up on current events. "Reading the paper" as it were. This morning, I typed. Really nothing more to it.

Cheers. You all have a good day. Knock 'em dead.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, the point was that he was a very humble man and that I don't come from some snooty pedigreed bloodline.
No, brown is for farmers. It's a old joke that died in a dumb thread.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.