• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
I decided to get a new watch and narrowed my choice down to a single watch model. However, I'm torn between two styles of the model: one is a black face with black leather strap; the other is a white face with a black leather strap. Everything else is exactly identical. I know the difference seems trivial, but it's actually had me thinking for an inordinate amount of time, so I thought I'd poll the forum here.

I originally wanted the black face, but now I'm starting to lean towards the white face considering that I wear jeans/polo about half the time and a suit the other half. I think a black face would just be too awkward and formal when wearing jeans, but the white face would be appropriate in both dressy and casual.

And now I'm wondering if the black leather strap is perhaps too much for a jeans/polo outfit? Argh!

What do you guys think?

And yes, I've neglected to mention the brand name and such to avoid any bias. This is a pure style question only!

(It's not Fossil.)

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I thought that this was a Ted Danson/Bamboozled/Sambo thread. I'm sort of relieved and sort of dissapointed that it isn't.

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
You know, it only hit me a few minutes ago that some people may mistake the thread title for something racist. I abhor racism.

Haha this reminds me of that scene in American Psycho when Patrick Bateman asks the two hookers if they've "ever been abroad?" only to quickly rephrase.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
White face, without question. Much more versatile and elegant, IMO.
i disagree that's it's inherently more elegant, but it's definitely more versatile. if torn between the two, get the white one.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i disagree that's it's inherently more elegant, but it's definitely more versatile. if torn between the two, get the white one.

my feelings exactly. i tend to find black faced watches more fetching, objectively, but they are less versatile. I feel like if you get a black face/black strap watch, it pretty much becomes your black shoes timepiece.

wldthistle

Reaction score
I'd agree that a white face is more elegant, assuming the watch is fairly elegant to begin with. I have a sporty black-faced watch and am looking to get a dressier one, and I am sure I want a white face on it. Also, if you get a white face I think it'd probably look better if you ever decided to switch to a brown band.

That being said, neither choice is wrong. It will come down to what you see yourself wearing most often with the watch, and simple preference. If you had to take either watch right NOW, which would you pick? Sometimes overthinking these things can lead to wrong decisions.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer white for dress, and black for chronos or ones with lots of colorful details to tune it down a notch.

Newton

Reaction score
White faced.

I thought this thread was something to do with how white and black people suit different colours.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augustus Medici
You know, it only hit me a few minutes ago that some people may mistake the thread title for something racist. I abhor racism.

Haha this reminds me of that scene in American Psycho when Patrick Bateman asks the two hookers if they've "ever been abroad?" only to quickly rephrase.

I ignored this thread for ages because I thought it was racist. I was expecting a picture of a minstrel or something similar..

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bamboozled is Spike Lee's best film.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Bamboozled is Spike Lee's best film.
++ Man Tan & Sleep and Eat
cheers.gif
laugh.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black dials have their origin from tool watches, divers and pilots, so therefore will always fall short on a dress watch, IMO.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO this question just cannot be answered as is - it all depends on the watch. Some white dials are not well executed (color of numerals, blue hands or not...) and white dials are in my experience harder to design successfully. Specifically, white faces on sportier watches can be a disaster. Please show pics or let us know which watch you're referring to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads