• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Professions Absolutely Require a Suit and Tie?

Frrrank

Reaction score
Which professions absolutely require a suit and tie? Any profession I'M in, suit and BOW tie, more specifically.

Always Suited

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frrrank
Which professions absolutely require a suit and tie? Any profession I'M in, suit and BOW tie, more specifically.
You hit the nail on the head. More offices should mandate formal dress codes.

Frrrank

Reaction score
Yep, even back to my school days. We were required to wear dress shirts, dress pants, dress shoes, and ties. I went a step further and wore BOW ties daily, and suits any time I could come up with even a fraction of an excuse. Just looks and feels nice to be buttoned up and a bit mo' formal than the rest.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
wedding photographer

I've worked with lots of wedding photographers, never seen one wear a suit and tie. Dress pants, dress shirt, sometimes a tie or sport coat, but never full-on suit or tie. You're running around the whole day, and never in the photos anyways. I saw on photographer who wore a tux... he felt like a jackass because people thought he was part of the wedding party.

Harry Haller

Reaction score
All jokes aside, I've been working with a legislator and pretty much everyone wears suits, although must of them have terrible fits. Though, there are a few legislators that arrive in a very rural-looking way....

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Limo Driver

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hospital CEO (have met a few that are pretty casual, generally they are very formal)

lately I have been working with a large group of Neurosurgeons, most of them will wear suits or at least a coat and tie when in the office. The exception is one of them, I have never seen him wear anything but black jeans.
He is pretty much the top neuroendovascular surgeon in the U.S. so really who cares?

Financier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
-1 on the banker. I suppose that it depends on your local market and your particular job. I work in commercial lending for the Dallas office of a major bank. Our group is business casual unless meeting with a customer that is suit and tie (rare these days). It's probably different in NYC and London, or in certain segments like I-banking. But for your standard garden-variety commercial banker suits are nearly an oddity these days.

Dallas, huh? I work in commercial banking as well, and have worked in several Southeast markets for a very large bank. A banker not wearing a suit and tie in any of our offices can expect to be asked about it. Golf outings, construction site visits, etc. are the only reasons for dressing down. The credit folks might skip the tie on days that have no customer appointments or serious meetings, but that's about it.

What do you do in commercial banking that you're not meeting with clients regularly? If it is more of back office role I can see the dreaded "business casual" being the norm.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babeef