• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which knife?

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new chef's knife (approx 8-10 inches) and I'm comfortable in the $200-$300 range. Here are my current picks:

Takeda Gyuto 210mm
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagyas21.html

Kikuichi Gold Elite Damascus Gyuto 210mm
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kigoelsugy21.html

Shun Premier 8"
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shunpremier21.html

Hattori HD8 Gyuto 210mm (240mm if in stock)
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/HDSeries.html

Wantanabe Gyuto 210mm from the professional range
http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/pro/pro.htm

Open to suggestions for alternatives and feel free to tell me what's crap and what's decent.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
You need to find a place that lets you touch them, hold them, etc. They're all great choices but what matters is how it feels in your hand and how comfortable you are using it. Although my main advice would be get 8" over 10.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You need to find a place that lets you touch them, hold them, etc. They're all great choices but what matters is how it feels in your hand and how comfortable you are using it. Although my main advice would be get 8" over 10.

+1
a knife is a very personal tool, particularly a chef's knife. you'll know you've got it for sure when you pick up the right one. but not until then.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unless you are really good at sharpening, a blue steel knife, like the Watanabe, will suck for you. Other than that, no input.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, I'm quite the novice knife sharpener, that is good information.

And I wouldn't mind getting a hands on, gotta see what's nearby.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sharpening is a major issue with these fancy Japanese knives, in my opinion.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Unless you are really good at sharpening, a blue steel knife, like the Watanabe, will suck for you. Other than that, no input.

This is exactly right.

I once ordered half-a-dozen chef's knives for my girlfriend (who is in the industry) to check out and pick one for her birthday (the supplier knew this was the plan and was fine with me doing so). She ended up going with a knife made by MAC, which one probably the least expensive of the options, but just worked for her.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw the kikuchi at W-S the other day. It's pretty.

I like my Shuns and the warranty is good. Was talking to the W-S guy about my knives and he said they're pretty forgiving. He knows people that have bought second-hand and had warranty replace their knives w/o requiring proof of payment or anything.

I need to send knives back for repair though. Not sure if it's my fault or a problem with manufacture. Probably didn't take as good care of them as I should have. Been guilty of leaving them in sink at times. My 6" utility knife (not sure if right name) has notches in the blade from bits that have come off, maybe b/c of corrosion. My 8" chef's knife has a couple black dots in teh blade (not rust colored) that I think might end up pitting like on the 6" knife. And my paring knife was dropped and tip broke off. Small kitchens ******* suck. =/

Oh and I tried sharpening my shun the other day. I prob should take a course bc my sharpening skills suck.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I just noticed the same spots on my chef's knife. Strange. I've had trouble with chipping as well. I was going to send them in, but someone told me that Shun was getting rid of their free replacement policy. Not sure on that, I'll need to look it up.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I just noticed the same spots on my chef's knife. Strange. I've had trouble with chipping as well. I was going to send them in, but someone told me that Shun was getting rid of their free replacement policy. Not sure on that, I'll need to look it up.

Do you have shun classic?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those japanese knives are really brittle. and they are really hard to sharpen. honestly, if you're a beginning to intermediate cook, you'll probably be MUCH happier with wusthoff. and, i have to confess, i cooked with a friend's henkel over the weekend and didn't hate it. those knives are tough, easy to sharpen and will do 98% of what any reasonable person could want a chef's knife to do.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
those japanese knives are really brittle. and they are really hard to sharpen. honestly, if you're a beginning to intermediate cook, you'll probably be MUCH happier with wusthoff. and, i have to confess, i cooked with a friend's henkel over the weekend and didn't hate it. those knives are tough, easy to sharpen and will do 98% of what any reasonable person could want a chef's knife to do.
totally agree. With a Japanese knife you pretty much need an extra chef's knife to do some of the harder tasks. Crack shells etc.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am still happy with some cheap Henckels knives, and will probably continue to be so. Sharpening is easy and customary, and there isn't anything I've run into that I can't cut through. I have a good pair of the scissors and those help nicely with cutting down poultry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads