• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Airports Are a Destination in Themselves?

Jerry52

Reaction score
OK, I admit I'm FAR from a frequent flyer, so maybe I'm easily impressed.

Recently I passed through the Charlotte, NC airport, and several things about it did impress me.

Good variety of stores and restaurants, including a neat kiosk with stylish pens and a Johnston & Murphy shop to name two. Those with disabilities or those confused where their gate is get whisked through the terminal concourses by special vehicles sort of like golf carts on steroids. The drivers yelling periodically for everybody to stay clear. And in a sign of real refinement and the gentility of days gone by, the washrooms have attendants, with nice chocolate mints and swigs of mouthwash available.

Of course like any airport I guess, the food prices are outrageous. The food concessions must be run by the drug companies!

For a scenic setting with a beautiful mountain backdrop, I nominate the Salt Lake City airport.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
The Denver airport is an interesting piece of architecture.

http://www.myrgroup.com/uploadedImag...verair_lrg.gif

And the Pittsburgh airport requires, as a condition of their lease, that merchants and restaurants charge no more in their airport location than they do in their regular retail outlets.

Three cheers for the Pittsburgh airport! Actually I'd like to visit Pittsburgh someday, I hear it's one of the nicest, most livable big cities. And they have several notable hot dog restaurants according to a special I saw on TV two or three years ago.

I would have enjoyed seeing the downtown Kaufmann's Department Store, which I heard was nice, but now it's a Macy's! What isn't? GROAN!

Jerry

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bias for Dulles International Airport in Washington, probably because I fly from there 10x more than anywhere else. Just the main terminal itself is a work of art, and no doubt my favorite piece of Saarinen architecture. The mass of the building really has a presence as you drive in. It's too bad I'll be done work there in a week
frown.gif

DSC_0467.jpg

IADTerm-Onramp.jpg

As far other airports I've visited just to go and see the airport itself:
Suvarnabhumi International in Bangkok-
_DSC1462.jpg

Princess Juliana International in St Maarten-
Juliana_2.jpg

Kansai International in Osaka-
P71114683e.jpg

Haneda National in Tokyo-
tokyo_airport_haneda_new.jpg

Chek Lap Kok International in Hong Kong-
54511.jpg

Dubai International in Dubai-
Dubai-Airport-2.jpg

King Khaled International in Riyadh-
riyadh.jpg

JB

jkennett

Reaction score
I always laugh when I run through the "light" tunnel in Detroit. Those who've traveled through Detroit will know what I'm talking about... Weird laser effects and strange drum and bass music on the walls above the "moving sidewalks". Heathrow is a destination in itself for the ridiculousness of it's layout. I like Dublin for their full Irish breakfasts.... Also, I like eastern European airports, like St. Petersburg, Russia with their grumpy customs agents, and their obviously de-militarized former Communist air-force bases. Oh... I also love all the women in Helsinki's airport.... Finnish women are so gorgeous.....

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your link didn't work, LK.

Since I'm bored I'll just get some other pictures so you don't have to bother with it.

TWATerminalInterior.jpg

image29copy1.jpg

JB

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
As far other airports I've visited just to go and see the airport itself:
Suvarnabhumi International in Bangkok

+1. Was just there a couple of months ago, design and architecture is magnificent. Given the size of the facility vs the small to moderate level of traffic it encounters daily, it feels incredibly spacious (quite near empty in some parts) which really complements the ultra-modern aesthetic.

BankerBoi

Reaction score

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of architechture I'd love to see the Kansai or the new Hong Kong airports.

In terms of actually using airports, the smaller the better for me. To and from the UK I generally use the budget carriers which generally use the smaller places like Parma, Bologna, Pisa, etc. I like the fact that within 30 minutes of the wheels touching the runway I can be through customs, passport control and baggage claim, having walked probably no more than 300metres. One airport which is architecturally interesting in its use of natural light (designed by Norman Foster, I think) is Stansted Airport, east of London. It's not too large yet well designed.

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildi...d_Airport.html

Jerry52

Reaction score
I've enjoyed reading all your posts and some of those photos were great! The best airports should be built in a way that integrates with their natural surroundings or in some other way reflects something unique about the local customs, as a way of greeting newcomers. Even if it's something rather simple like the "hearty Irish breakfast" that jkennett cited.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think JB waited his entire SF career for this thread. Is that pic from Princess Juliana undoctored?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The new Hong Kong airport is exceedingly large. You take a train to various terminals whereupon there is still an extremely long corridor to go through as well as a "duty-free hub" where numerous duty-free shops are centered around.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The new Hong Kong airport is exceedingly large. You take a train to various terminals whereupon there is still an extremely long corridor to go through as well as a "duty-free hub" where numerous duty-free shops are centered around.

The recently opened 'Terminal 2' is apparently quite a shoppers paradise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads