• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to live in NYC?

bullethead

Reaction score
to live in manhatten and have kids, yeah, you must have a buttload of money. gotta send them to a private primary school, unless you live in one of those zones with a great public primary. of course, if you did, you would have a buttload of money anyway.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
nah, i prefer to raise my kids in the burbs. having 3 kids in a manhattan apartment does not sound appealing. for a 1500sq foot apartment, i'd have paid over 2 million. most kids who grew up in manhattan are dicks. not all, but most.

ALL OF THEM!!!

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
i dont know about the worst. I lived on 76/York for a while and it was rather boring, but you can do much worse. Be prepared for dog walkers and baby strollers. The western spur of the UES is as nice as you can get, but there isnt much soul.

Ha, we had a place there too. It really sucked having to come back up after hanging out downtown, but it wasn't a bad place to live, just a little boring, and holy **** was there a lot of dog **** everywhere. Very affordable for Manhattan, though, we were paying around 1500 for a studio on the third floor. Really wished we could have lived in the East Village, despite the drunks on Friday and Saturday night. I miss the village very much now.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was just looking at apartment prices and its pretty frightening. Maybe with one kid you could get a 2 bedroom 2 bath for around 1 million. I just can't imagine myself living in one of the burbs though, the image of the guidos in 7 series only confirms my fears.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^eh, it's fine. once you have a wife and kids, nightlife is not so important. we go to the city 4-5x a month (i'm here every day for work obviously) to engage with culture and civilization. i've made some very good nyc-transplant friends in the burbs.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were planning to do the 2-bedroom-with-random-roommate thing, you are better off using a broker to find the apartment, and then letting people come to you to apply as roommate. Make up the broker fee by charging $50 extra a month, or whatever.

Finding a NYC apartment on your own is a real pain **********, it is even harder to get in as a roommate. They will have 50 applicants for one spot.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^you're right. but roomates, aside from a spouse, are for college students. the simple answer is:

be more baller

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've lived in Manhattan on a buuuudddgggeeettt for a year and a half now. It is totally possible if you are willing to make some sacrifices. I lived in Harlem for a year (it was a 3BR though, not a 2) and was paying like $900/mo after all utilities to live with good friends in a nice apartment in a safe neighborhood. I've stepped my game up and now pay a lot more and live closer to the areas I'd prefer to live. With rent going down, I am confident that you could find a 2BR apartment in Harlem or if you're lucky, and this is the best case scenario, Morningside Heights. I mean, there would be nothing wrong at all living in this apartment: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/abo/965880742.html Also, if this is in any way accurate, this works too. http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fee/964333142.html And this is just a cursory search. Like I said, I've only lived here for a year and a half now, but I feel like there's just no grit in this city any more, no willingness to scrape or empathy for the starving artist or starving young businessperson. Finance and MTV's The City are ruining ambition and a willingness to work to get by. Yeah, I moved here and lived in Harlem with some friends; my parents didn't put me up in a doorman building in Tribeca or I didn't cash in my trust fund for a West Village shoebox that runs me $1800/mo but I can claim "it's small" and still feel blue-collar. You can live in this city for cheap. You can live IN MANHATTAN for cheap. You can still go out all the time and have fun and buy clothes. No, you won't pop bottles at the club and you'll live a life of normalcy, not exorbitance. A real life, not one from television.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
nah, i prefer to raise my kids in the burbs. having 3 kids in a manhattan apartment does not sound appealing. for a 1500sq foot apartment, i'd have paid over 2 million. most kids who grew up in manhattan are dicks. not all, but most.

no offense, but most kids from long island are not all that appealing either

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
none taken, but at least they know they are douchebags and have real sports teams. outside of bball, manhattan teams suck ass. i'd be embarassed to let my son play on a baseball team with son-of-rich assholes with no athletic ability.

and people who grow up in nyc have such airs as if 212 area code means everything. believe me, i'm a dick and i grew up in bklyn/queens but i have nothing on manhattan kids.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
If you were planning to do the 2-bedroom-with-random-roommate thing, you are better off using a broker to find the apartment, and then letting people come to you to apply as roommate. Make up the broker fee by charging $50 extra a month, or whatever.

Finding a NYC apartment on your own is a real pain **********, it is even harder to get in as a roommate. They will have 50 applicants for one spot.

Charging 50 dollars extra a month is not going to save you any money on the brokers fee for a two bedroom apartment. You'd have to charge like 200 or more extra.

Also, its not that hard to get in as a roommate as people are making it sound. You might have to email a **** load of people but you will get replies. I just moved in with this photographer/ graphic designer couple in a fairly large two bedroom in Tribeca for about 1500 a month. I have my own bathroom and bedroom.

To the OP: If you want to live in Manhattan I would just e-mail lots of random people on Craigslist, roomates.com, etc. and try to find a place that way.

If you want to live in a small studio by yourself which is fairly nice (but its close to NYU on Sullivan st and the atmosphere kinda sucks) there is 224 Sullivan St. which is pretty nice for what you get for about 1700-1800 a month. Its very small though but the building it self is nice and has a nice court yard for what it is.

KhouriC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

i have had this experience at being an "applicant" but keep responding to posts and something will come up. that is how i found my roommate and she is pretty awesome.

2br for 2k is out of the question if you want to live in an area that has something going on unless you look outside of manhattan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads