• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of tapered jeans?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have really long legs and they are very skinny. I guess you could say "chicken legs". If I just buy straight leg jeans they are still too baggy for my waist size. Tapered jeans keep me more proportioned. Mind you not all tapered jeans are like tights. I am sure we have all seen jeans that you could mistake for American Apparel leggings, but a correct fit with a taper looks pretty proportioned and not feminine at all, I feel.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
I just bought some of my first skinny/tapered jeans today, and although I bought them as sort of an experiment they have really grown on me. After trying them on in the dressing room, my "normal" [straight] jeans felt weird and slightly baggy. IDK what it is, but tapered just feels better and I think it looks better. I never thought I was the type to buy tapered/skinny jeans, but they have really gotten my attention lately.

Karo

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of guys gunning for the april77 tapered look, but its ******* disgusting when they have thunder thighs and big ass calves, especially here in asia where most guys play soccer.

One bulge is enough on a tight pair of jeans.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with several posters that slightly tapered jeans tend to look better on skinny guys, but with a caveat: in very small waist sizes, the hem on a tapered jean can start to get ridiculously small and difficult to match with most shoes and sneakers. Because, like Get Smart, I prefer a hem of ~7.5", I generally go with a slim straight leg; I might prefer the look of a taper around my calves, but it's not worth a < 7" hem to me. If my waist were slightly bigger (e.g., 32-33"), I could get away with a taper and still have a large enough hem to look okay with my shoes.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Just a comment on the original post. I think tapered jeans look horrible on girls unless they are very skinny. If they have any ass at all, you just get this weird upside down triangle thing going on. The taper of the jeans draws your eye upwards and makes her ass look bigger I think.

bure

Reaction score
I like this thread 'cause I've been thinking about the same things.

I'm 5'8" and I'm athletic build, but not too stocky. I'm size 30 have a pair of sz28 APC NS and just bought some sz30 Rag&Bone RB15 straight legs.

At first I thought the R&B fit great (much better room in crotch and butt area) and looked good. I found the APC's tight at first, especially in the crotch and butt, but now comparing them in the mirror, I am preferring the APC's.

Keep in mind that my APC's were my first ever well-fitted slim jeans. I really feel like tapering my R&B's (so glad I have the option), but I also feel like I should have a pair of straight legs, emphasis on straight. Oh well...

My point being, since coming to this forum my view on fit has changed dramatically like I could never believe... it's a very good thing
smile.gif

yjs

Reaction score
A lot of people wear tapered jeans to show off their sneakers, if you're into that sort of thing...

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cookieoflife
Straight legs look like bootcuts when worn extensively. The knees tend to stretch out in the forward-back axis and pinch in on the sides, so from the front they look like an X around the knees. I actually got comments on how I was wearing bootcuts again when I was wearing my 5EP SDZ. No such comments on APC NS's, which are mildly tapered.

Actually APC NS do that too

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
I'm out of luck for the tapered look then, since I'm big and burly and have thick legs.

I can only go the NFL look route...*sigh*

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
You mean the NS has a slight boot cut, too? Doesn't it have a slight taper at the hem?
New Standards are NOT a boot cut, slight or otherwise.

bure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
You mean the NS has a slight boot cut, too? Doesn't it have a slight taper at the hem?

I think he means that for his APC NS "The knees tend to stretch out in the forward-back axis and pinch in on the sides, so from the front they look like an X around the knees."

So... is the general consensus that tapered jeans are better than straight leg jeans for shorter people who aren't stocky?

Really want to taper my Rag&Bone now
confused.gif

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bure
I think he means that for his APC NS "The knees tend to stretch out in the forward-back axis and pinch in on the sides, so from the front they look like an X around the knees."

So... is the general consensus that tapered jeans are better than straight leg jeans for shorter people who aren't stocky?

Really want to taper my Rag&Bone now
confused.gif

i would say so

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads