• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What the hell is up with this place?

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been here quite awhile and have yet to post a new thread outside of the B&S forum. Everything I've ever wanted to know was discovered by either searching here or PM'ing a member who I think has an answer to my inquiry. That goes to show that the noobs are deliberately ruining the board with their redundant idiocy. This place is over-saturated with good info; however, if you're a lazy moron of course you wouldn't know that.

These days I find myself refreshing the pages over and over hoping to see something of interest popping up but to no avail. WAYWN is full of bickering, page after page which is my main reason for not posting fits here now that I got a new camera.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GY!BE
secondly it should be 100 posts or more before you can start a new thread
Whoa, that seems like a lot! I don't have a problem with new posters, as long as they are interesting. Eric Glennie and Mt. Spiffy posts are always gold. And sometimes when new people post really wacky pictures of themselves (like that toy figure guy), it's always good for a laugh. What we need is an algorithm that recognizes if a thread as boring as hell and then automatically sends it to page 5.

Reaction score
yeah the banter in WAYWT is annoying
i just skim through it looking for the sauce
:love:

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What about a noob questions subforum, where people under X posts/days can only post new threads in that subforum and those altruistic people who want to bother can read and answer their questions, and the rest of us can avoid them? I could restrict starting new threads in here, which might cut down on a lot of the crap.

Also, it would be nice if it were easier to merge threads into the small questions/jean question/etc threads. I wonder if I can write a function that just makes that a button the mods can press. I know I've merged a few threads into those before but it's kind of a pain and takes like 6 steps or something.

And what happened with the "designer" subforum? Do we still want that? Should it be a subforum of this one?

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
What about a noob questions subforum, where people under X posts/days can only post new threads in that subforum and those altruistic people who want to bother can read and answer their questions, and the rest of us can avoid them? I could restrict starting new threads in here, which might cut down on a lot of the crap. Also, it would be nice if it were easier to merge threads into the small questions/jean question/etc threads. I wonder if I can write a function that just makes that a button the mods can press. I know I've merged a few threads into those before but it's kind of a pain and takes like 6 steps or something. And what happened with the "designer" subforum? Do we still want that? Should it be a subforum of this one?
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
blahblah... Additionally, not all new members are style-illiterate. Every once in a while we get SUFU and SZ refugees who drop one or two bad ass fits in the WAYWT and then never post again...blahblah.. Maybe we could devise some kind of profiling quiz/poll/what have you upon registration so that we know who knows what's up and who doesn't. Obviously the mods can't go through every member who registers, there's just too many, so I don't know. Maybe we could build it into the forum some how? I don't really know anything about how this works technically speaking, but I've been on forums with some pretty complex algorithmic **** in place... .
Also, while I really liked the idea of designer subforum at the time, I feel like implementing it at this point it would just cut up what little dialogue is left.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
One other thing I'd love to see that I've mentioned a bunch of times, that AFAIK has never been implemented as a hack, is a post rating / threshold system, where if a post sucks and is voted suck by enough people, it gets rated down and most people won't see it unless they set their threshold to show all suck posts. It'd be like you see on youtube comments for example, where you can see that there is a post there with a -5 rating which means it's most likely crap, but if you want to see it you click on it. That would clean up the WAYWT nicely. Also some sort of "relevant posts" flag, e.g. for WAYWT posts with an actual outfit pic would be flagged up, so if you wanted to just see the fit pix you could set your prefs to only show those, etc.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
What about a noob questions subforum, where people under X posts/days can only post new threads in that subforum and those altruistic people who want to bother can read and answer their questions, and the rest of us can avoid them? I could restrict starting new threads in here, which might cut down on a lot of the crap.

Also, it would be nice if it were easier to merge threads into the small questions/jean question/etc threads. I wonder if I can write a function that just makes that a button the mods can press. I know I've merged a few threads into those before but it's kind of a pain and takes like 6 steps or something.

And what happened with the "designer" subforum? Do we still want that? Should it be a subforum of this one?

YES
YES
and NO
if we solve the first two, then there is no need for the third!

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My biggest issue with the forum right now is that the WAYWN thread sucks ass. Poor photography plus useless posts that have nothing to do with the fits kind of ruin it for me. J, I think your suggestions would go a long way to fixing the thread.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sufu style rep system. problem solved.

people like me who are clearly awesome start out with points.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ i knew it was you biatch!

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the hell is up with this place?

Everyone is coming to grips with their own boringness. Styleforvm group think tends to eliminate "flash" from everyone's style, so everyone is left looking identical to each other. WAYWT should be renamed to "what the clones are wearing today," because everyone wears the exact same kinds of raw denim, the exact same kinds of shirts, the exact same kinds of jackets, shoes, etc. There are really only a handful of posters who are creative. Admittedly I am not one of them.

The best thing styleforum did for me was help develop my eye for how different pieces of clothing should fit. But once you get to that point...everything does really look the same here. There's no excitement with any of the fits 99% of the time. And of course if someone does break the pattern, typically a n00b who hasn't been fully assimilated, he is usually told that "some jack purcells or chucks would look better" that he needs to "get some good raw denim" and basically follow the styleforum algorithm in order to look like every other boring clone.

I think people are getting bored. But don't really know how to spice things up. That's why I hang out in the big titty thread.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dunno. sufu and sz trump sf for fashion but traffic on sz is light and there's even more horseshit on sufu than there is here. my advice, diversify. or you can join me in the gi joe and marvel collectors toy forum.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
What the hell is up with this place? Everyone is coming to grips with their own boringness. Styleforvm group think tends to eliminate "flash" from everyone's style, so everyone is left looking identical to each other. WAYWT should be renamed to "what the clones are wearing today," because everyone wears the exact same kinds of raw denim, the exact same kinds of shirts, the exact same kinds of jackets, shoes, etc. There are really only a handful of posters who are creative. Admittedly I am not one of them. The best thing styleforum did for me was help develop my eye for how different pieces of clothing should fit. But once you get to that point...everything does really look the same here. There's no excitement with any of the fits 99% of the time. And of course if someone does break the pattern, typically a n00b who hasn't been fully assimilated, he is usually told that "some jack purcells or chucks would look better" that he needs to "get some good raw denim" and basically follow the styleforum algorithm in order to look like every other boring clone. I think people are getting bored. But don't really know how to spice things up. That's why I hang out in the big titty thread.
Very interesting and I think you may be right. Same for MC, too.
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i dunno. sufu and sz trump sf for fashion but traffic on sz is light and there's even more horseshit on sufu than there is here. my advice, diversify. or you can join me in the gi joe and marvel collectors toy forum.
I personally wish we had either a "designer subforum" or a more designer-friendly atmosphere. During the a/w09 runway shows, there were really interesting breaths of fresh air from a lot of unusual sources, but I didn't want to start threads about them because I didn't know where to do it that wouldn't get lots of "UGH nasty designer **** go away!" sorts of posts. I think that more openness in terms of styles, which runway collections can give, are great for presenting new ideas, new colors, and things we haven't thought of yet. As Lance mentions, we've been there/done that with raw denim and shirts/jackets/shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads