• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Has Been the Worst Era for Men's Suits?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Seems pretty standard:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Regarding Rothstein, this is what I read "Rothstein was the Moses of the Jewish gangsters, according to Cohen, the progenitor, a rich man's son who showed the young hoodlums of the Bowery how to have style; indeed, the man who, the Sicilian-American gangster Lucky Luciano would later say, "taught me how to dress."

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do wonder though, what will weddings be like when those 20-something clubbers obsessed with thin lapels and skinny ties decide to settle down? One would hope that their sense of aesthetics will improve with age.

I have more than one jacket with 2.5" lapels - one vintage - and I wear skinny ties. My groomsmen and I looked like this at my wedding (and thanks for giving me another excuse to post the picture; I have a bit of a problem).

But, on the topic, obviously the 70's were the worst era for suits. Right now, I think we are at the beginning of a renaissance of wonderful, classic styling in suits. The skinny lapels are working their way out of fashion, and peaks have made a strong comeback. Pants are fitting well again, among those that know what they're doing when they dress - mine below are an off the rack pair from Brooks Bros, so hardly exotic, but they just plain fit, and are made with a reasonable rise. I hope it all also spills over into Tuxedos, as well.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Regarding Rothstein, this is what I read "Rothstein was the Moses of the Jewish gangsters, according to Cohen, the progenitor, a rich man's son who showed the young hoodlums of the Bowery how to have style; indeed, the man who, the Sicilian-American gangster Lucky Luciano would later say, "taught me how to dress."
I suspect "style" and "how to dress" are speaking to the broader field of proper decorum. This did probably extended to how one dresses, but in this he was simply transmitting his own upper class upbringing (rather than creating any sort of new style to be associated with gangsters).

Last edited:

mactire

Reaction score
I've been watching the series recently and aside from the baggy pants (and shirts) and way too big shoulders they're not bad at all. At least they don't have slim lapels, gorges that try to disappear on the shoulders or buttoning points at the diaphragm.

I think you've hit on what I subconsciously like about them, they're not as ridiculously big as the 80s, but still have a bit of a noirish feel to them or something. One of the last shows where everyone wore suits until the current revival I think.

MisterFu

Reaction score
I have more than one jacket with 2.5" lapels - one vintage - and I wear skinny ties. My groomsmen and I looked like this at my wedding (and thanks for giving me another excuse to post the picture; I have a bit of a problem).

But, on the topic, obviously the 70's were the worst era for suits. Right now, I think we are at the beginning of a renaissance of wonderful, classic styling in suits. The skinny lapels are working their way out of fashion, and peaks have made a strong comeback. Pants are fitting well again, among those that know what they're doing when they dress - mine below are an off the rack pair from Brooks Bros, so hardly exotic, but they just plain fit, and are made with a reasonable rise. I hope it all also spills over into Tuxedos, as well.
The morning suit will always get a thumbs up from me (I won't even nit-pick the non-standard pattern on your pants as I am so glad to see that somebody still knows how to dress for a daytime wedding). Frankly, I think it's time to bring back the stroller for daily wear ;-) .

I think you are right about a renaissance of sorts. A lot of it is driven by the fascination the public has with period television shows such as Boardwalk Empire, Downton Abbey, etc.. I have had a couple of suits with double breasted waistcoats that I thought would remain unique in this modern age. Yet starting last year, I see Paul Stuart, Ralph Lauren and now even Suit Supply all selling the double breasted waistcoat. If I had to venture a guess, it's in no small part thanks to the DB vests sported by Nucky Thompson in season 2 and 3 of Boardwalk Empire.

One strange side effect of this rediscovery of menswear by the public is that we are seeing an astonishing array of styling elements making a simultaneous comeback. Edwardian, Jazz Era, Mad Men; you name it and it's out there right now. My hope is this doesn't turn into the bizzaro-world of the 1970's where they attempted to integrate 20's and 30's themes with baroque elements (test-pattern jackets with giant hacking pockets and shirt ruffles). So far though, a lot of the stuff I am seeing in the last 18 months is pretty damn excellent.

Ralph Lauren Purple Label

Paul Stuart Phineas Cole

Suit Supply

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made a conscious decision to hi toward the more obscure, but traditional, check pattern. There is a long history of wearing check trousers with morning dress, it just hasn't been seen much since the mid 20th century. I assure you, my details are all absolutely correct. Plys I can wear these pants way more often than cashmere stripe. I also considered chalk stripe.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bumping this thread because it's an interesting subject.

Going back through the (now widely available thanks to Google pic search) centuries of menswear you can find what people have considered silly fads in each era. It's best illustrated by actually posting pictures of the good and the bad of each era, by a highly personal sense of taste of course. Let's start from the 40's:

40's

Hasn't aged with grace:

Good:

50's

Hasn't aged with grace:

Good:

60's

Hasn't aged with grace:

Good:

70's

Hasn't aged with grace:

Good:

80's

Hasn't aged with grace:

Good:

90's

Hasn't aged with grace:

Good:

00's - present

Will not age with grace:

Good:

So, what can be deducted from this?

Nothing really, but even though the 70's and early 90's saw an outbreak in widespread use of horrible menswear, every era has seen both crap and greatness. The common denominator of the successful looks seem to be an adhering to classic measurements, colours and fabrics. Even though we can clearly tell that the Cary Grant suit would look dated worn today, it doesn't make us laugh either.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still going with the Late 80s/ Early 90s.

Reaction score
1970s, followed by today.
When I was a young teenage my father offered to have 2-3 leisure suits made by his tailor (circa 1976). I told him that I would wear a leisure suit when President Ford and Walter Cronkite (then CBS news host, “the most respected man in America”). To his credit, Cronkite never wore a leisure suit; can’t say the same about Jerry. View attachment 1416279 View attachment 1416279

FPB

Reaction score
Ha! This thread is hilarious (and interesting). I'm glad it was resurrected!

1970s suits were bad in terms of colors and designs, but at least they (usually) fit well.
1980s-90s were bad for oversized fit, but generally patterns and colors were solid.
2000s - whenever. Nothing, I mean nothing looks worse than a man wearing a sausage skin suit. Please burn yours if you still have one.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it was hilariously awful all the way through. This, for example, was under the 60's, and caught my eye:

"The post-war era led to some dramatic cuts in the suit industry. Due to rationing of supplies, suit design became even more simplistic and streamlined, with double-breasted suits becoming exceptionally rare. This change influenced virtually all contemporary suits, from the Nehru suit of the ’60s"

First, rationing took place during the war, not after it. In the late 40s and early 50s (you know, what most people refer to as the postwar era- who the hell associates that with the 60s?), the style known as the "Bold Look" was a fairly popular design. Double breasted, large shouldered, loose fit. You know, a reaction to wartime rationing. The slimmer designs of the late 50s and 60s were a reaction against the loose and bold styles that were themselves a reaction to the closely cut suits of the 30s and wartime era.

It misplaces historic eras, doesn't understand what the hell rationing is and when it tends to exist, so on and so forth. It was just generally wrong throughout.
Rationing in the UK finally ended in 1954, well after the war. It hit them much harder than rationing in the US.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads