• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Is it bad for the cashmere to purposely shrink it by washing it in warm/hot water?

Originally Posted by RJman
It isn't good...

I did it last night to a hand-knit RLPL cashmere cable sweater ... used a cloth bag for the sweater and put it in the washer on hand wash with warm/cold cycle selected. It's drying right now while laying flat but I'm hoping for a couple inches of shrinking in every area, since the only sweater I could get ahold of was a Medium and I need a Small.

It might not be ideal to do this, but if it wrecks my sweater, that will be a lesson learned.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
It isn't good...

Well, no, I didn't figure it would be like a spa treatment, but I figured it might harm the integrity of the fibers or make them feel harder.

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Yeah, wtf
foo.gif
, you're still talking about cashmere? I thought you'd gone and picked up some nice Shaggy Dogs and called it a day...

Remember? I already decided what I'm doing pre-thread.

Originally Posted by furo
I did it last night to a hand-knit RLPL cashmere cable sweater ... used a cloth bag for the sweater and put it in the washer on hand wash with warm/cold cycle selected. It's drying right now while laying flat but I'm hoping for a couple inches of shrinking in every area, since the only sweater I could get ahold of was a Medium and I need a Small.

It might not be ideal to do this, but if it wrecks my sweater, that will be a lesson learned.

I've done this, too, although not entirely on purpose. The cashmere shrinks a little, but I can't tell if there are any other ill effects.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done this, too, although not entirely on purpose. The cashmere shrinks a little, but I can't tell if there are any other ill effects.

That's good to know, I'm hoping for positive results.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it bad for the cashmere to purposely shrink it by washing it in warm/hot water?

I would have thought the risk would be of uneven shrinkage, leading to warping of the garment? I would instinctively try to avoid the necessity of this.

ltontheqt

Reaction score
This has turned out to be a very useful thread. Pity I don't have money at the moment to take advantage. Does Portnoy have some sort of Netflix program? I'm good for the return.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
To reiterate......

Oh, and the standard disclaimer applies: I've already decided and, though valued, your opinions will have no effect.

Did no one else read this in Post #1? Why bother replying?

emptym

Reaction score
About eight years ago I wanted to shrink a sweater I'd had since the 80's. I'm pretty sure it was made of merino wool. In any case, since it was styled for the 80's, I thought it was too big. So I tried washing it in hot warm water and then drying it on low. This had barely an effect. So I tried boiling it, literally, on a pot on the stove. I was prepared to give it away if things went bad. At worst, I thought it would shrink a lot, that the weave would tighten up (on the way toward felt), and that the oils would be stripped. It did shrink a lot, about 4-5 inches, but only in the length. I think the weave tighted up, but just a bit. Not sure how much the oils were stripped though, since I used wool conditioner afterwards. I had mostly wanted it to shrink in width, so I gave it to a friend.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Yeah, wtf
foo.gif
, you're still talking about cashmere? I thought you'd gone and picked up some nice Shaggy Dogs and called it a day...

Wes, btw, did you get any of the McGeorge sweaters? Did they have any left in your size?

Foo, I'd love to see what you think about the J. press shaggy dogs, esp if you can see it in person. I am definitely planning on one next year.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Have shrunk two sweaters. The first was the Ballantyne Fred Astaire (he came in size XL for some reason). Worked perfectly.

The second was a made in England (thus pre-China production) Alan Paine cashmere turtleneck in spongy cashmere that was a shade too large. It shrank from too large to me to so small I passed it on to my mom.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Wes, btw, did you get any of the McGeorge sweaters? Did they have any left in your size?

Foo, I'd love to see what you think about the J. press shaggy dogs, esp if you can see it in person. I am definitely planning on one next year.

Nah, I'm not loving the colors they have left in a 36. Besides, while there's no doubt the McGeorge have that dry rustic appeal, I'm liking the fuzzyness of the Shaggy Dogs. Just having a hard time deciding which color to get...

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought one of the Mcgeorge's cable knits. Options were limited in my size, I wanted a medium gray and ended up with their light grey, but figure it will still be a rather versatile color that will go with a lot of things.

Thanks Vox for the recommendation. I only own two nice sweaters, both cashmere (RT and RLPL) and neither are grey, so this might fill a hole in my otherwise sparse wardrobe.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/mcg...ers_cabled.php I have no idea. I assume
foo.gif
is on the trail, but any search for sources in the US for this type of thing would start with O'Connell's or underneath the cobwebbed staff at Cable Car. For example, not cashmere, but here is O'Connell's remaining deadstock of McGeorge Shetlands...I would expect this inventory to be inaccurate, however. Cabled McGeorges. And the O'Connell's deadstock museum. - B

Thanks for info, I just ordered a light grey McGeorge crewneck. EDIT: Fark, I bumped a dying thread simply because I had the link saved on my desktop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics