• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding ring advice

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkshades
Yeah, I've heard plat scratches easier than gold, but I thought you could just buff out most knicks and dings? I guess I'm more concerned with long term wear...and from what I gather, platinum is the more durable of the two metals.

If you're that concerned about long term wear, get titanium. Realistically, you're going to see a platinum ring "break" about as much as white gold.

I can't imagine ANY given scenario where your platinum ring would outlast or pass some sort of "durability test" in the real world assuming daily wear and tear.

If your wife works in a factory where sheet metal is cut or welding torches are being tossed around, you might have a durability issue.

But honestly, all that bullshit about platinum's durability is only coming from one source:

your local jewelry retailer who wants the extra $$$

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
If you're that concerned about long term wear, get titanium. Realistically, you're going to see a platinum ring "break" about as much as white gold.

I can't imagine ANY given scenario where your platinum ring would outlast or pass some sort of "durability test" in the real world assuming daily wear and tear.

If your wife works in a factory where sheet metal is cut or welding torches are being tossed around, you might have a durability issue.

But honestly, all that bullshit about platinum's durability is only coming from one source:

your local jewelry retailer who wants the extra $$$

Umm, yah. And, you know this how?

OP, please don't listen to people like furo. They, quite obviously, have no idea what they are talking about.

I strongly suggest you read from this experts. This article is quite helpful: http://journal.pricescope.com/Articl...n-Jewelry.aspx

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
Umm, yah. And, you know this how?

OP, please don't listen to people like furo. They, quite obviously, have no idea what they are talking about.

I strongly suggest you read from this experts. This article is quite helpful: http://journal.pricescope.com/Articl...n-Jewelry.aspx

Right. I have no idea. That's why I bought an engagement ring with a PLAT 950 setting (six pronged) rather than a white gold setting. The band I bought was 18k white gold. Want to know why? Read your article.

I got the advantages of the white gold (appearance and scratch resistance) while also getting the benefit of PL950 in the prongs.

So clearly I must have been marsupialed in explaining that to the OP earlier in this thread

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Wait -- so if I were to buy a white gold Patek Calatrava, for example, the white gold "plating"would wear away? How come nobody ever mentions this?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Wait -- so if I were to buy a white gold Patek Calatrava, for example, the white gold "plating"would wear away? How come nobody ever mentions this?

Well, first, not all white gold is plated. I think they can mix rhodium into the alloy, but that's a rare solution and may not produce as white an appearance. I forget if Patek plates or not.

Second, a wedding band worn all day is going to get rubbed and dinged a whole lot more than a watch worn on your wrist.

Personally, I don't get why anybody would pick white gold over platinum, if not for cost or very particular application (white gold is easier to bend so it can be preferable for really complex pave settings). But as far as I understand, if platinum can do the job, it is functionally superior. As for appearance: all daily jewelry, regardless of the metal it is made from, will get dinged and scratched. 'Patina' is not a bad thing to me, and platinum doesn't suffer metal loss like gold does.

darkshades

Reaction score
Originally Posted by countcount
I understand that the common allergic reactions are to nickel, not the precious metal. Nickel is mixed with silver, gold and platinum. .925 Silver is 92.5% silver with the remaining 7.5% other types of metals, including nickel. I think that most platinum is mixed with nickel, except for the 1000 platinum, whcih is 100% platinum. There may still be allergic reactions to platinum, but I think it is most commonly to the nickel in the alloy.
This whole issue of allergic reactions was concerning me (my gf has sensitive skin), so I decided to do some research of my own and found out that platinum is in fact hypoallergenic. From what I read, platinum isn't alloyed with nickel (which can cause allergic reactions, as you said, and is often used in white gold). I went to the site http://www.platinumguild.com/output/page3211.asp and found out that in North America five alloys are typically used to manufacture platinum jewelry:

Pt950 / Ruthenium (Pt950/Ru)
Pt900 / Iridium (Pt900/Ir)
Pt950 / Cobalt (Pt950/Co)
Pt950 / Iridium (Pt950/Ir)
Pt950 / Heat treatable.

As far as I've heard, none of these cause allergic reactions.

P.S. Thanks, mafoofan, for the info. Platinum does seem like the more practical choice since it doesn't lose metal when it's scratched and can just be polished to look like new if the patina look isn't your thing (I personally think it would give the ring character, though).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
P.S. Thanks, mafoofan, for the info. Platinum does seem like the more practical choice since it doesn't lose metal when it's scratched and can just be polished to look like new if the patina look isn't your thing (I personally think it would give the ring character, though).

For what it's worth, neither my wedding band, which I've been wearing for almost a year, nor any of my wife's platinum jewelry, which she's worn for many years in some cases, look dull at all.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My platinum ring looks fine after years of wear. I take it to the jeweler for a cleaning every 12-18 mos.

yarnsforth

Reaction score
This whole issue of allergic reactions was concerning me (my gf has sensitive skin)...
A reaction may occur in some people because of moisture and soap being trapped underneath the band. This reaction may not be allergic but a result of a dermatology infection. Sensitivity may be influenced by whether the ring is removed at night or during bathing, the type of soap used, and even hormonal changes. This doesn't seem to be common but it does happen. Unless you already know, it may help to check with your gf about her experiences wearing different metals.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess no one advocated classic yellow gold? Depending on your skin tone, yellow may look better. And its more "traditional". 18k yellow has a wonderful richness to it.

Also, what kind of watch do you wear? I like to see a smooth color scheme between the watch and the ring. That is, don't buy a platinum ring if you're sporting a gold watch. Looks kinda odd, IMO.

This is where I've found the best prices and service:

http://www.e-weddingbands.com/

My 2 cents: Replating rhodium on a white gold ring gets annoying. (My wife's skin makes her white gold lose its color in 2 months!) Stay clear.

If you want the white look, go for the king: Plat. If you can't justify the price in your head, go for Palladium.

darkshades

Reaction score
That's reassuring to know your platinum rings are still holding up, mafoofan and philosohpee. Looking for a white metal, so I'm afraid no yellow gold. Haha, like your comment that about "the king" of white metals, sazon...didn't a famous king say platinum is the metal of kings, or something along those lines? As far as cost, I've read around that now is a pretty good time to buy platinum since the price gap between white gold and platinum is smaller than usual...figure I should probably strike while the iron is still hot. Have any of you heard much about cost differences or know a good place online to find rings or retailers?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
www.bluenile.com

It will blow away your local jeweler in price and quality for the money. I was able to get a very nice stone and a great setting as well for great price.

You can choose white gold or platinum, or do what I did and go with a white gold band with a platinum prong setting (the durability of PL950 is necessary for the prongs not the band).

They are very reliable, offer free shipping and returns if you don't like it.

I was able to save about $4000 compared to what I would have spent at Tiffany's for the same ring and quality of stone:
(VS2, EX/EX/EX on cut/polish/symmetry, F in color, GIA certified laser inscribed, and just a bit over a carat in weight). They also give you a free appraisal with it, which was appraised at the Tiffany's value
smile.gif
(a bonus for me due to insurance purposes ... make sure you get insurance for that bad boy!!!)

I've taken it into several jewelers to have it cleaned and ALL of them compliment the quality and clarity and brilliance of the stone... throw it under the microscope ... and ask me "where did you get this??"

Claus Ayden

Reaction score
Hi,

End of season sales are a great way to take advantage of large discounts and still get the ring that you want. A lot of times a jewelry store or department store will have an end of season clearance sale on various types of jewelry, including wedding rings. By taking advantage of these types of sales, you may find the perfect wedding ring at a great price. It is always essential to keep an eye out for retailers who are having clearance sales.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miltonaop