• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a suit with suspenders to a nightclub

PoundSand

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaymanjones
Amen.

so why the f' you asking?
plain.gif

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
$5 dollar white t shirts from the corner store, and jeans from the slae rack and air maxes=club attire.

Please provide a list of the places where such attire is the norm so that I may avoid them. Thank you.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Wait a minute... in this thread, does "nightclub" mean "strip club"? Because if it does, a suit is just fine. A tie is just fine. Not sure why you'd WANT to wear suspenders, but they would probably be just fine, too.

However, I can tell you from experience that actually rich people don't dress like that to go to strip clubs.

Why would you wear that many layers of clothing at a strip club? Track pants with no undwear FTW

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricky
Jeans, kicks and t-shirt is the way to go. Sitting in VIP and dropping a couple grand isn't that big of a deal. Lots of us do it...in jeans, kicks and t-shirts.

EDIT: not trying to sounds like a dick but I've hit a lot of clubs over the years and suspenders is just a bad look there.

Originally Posted by PoundSand
so why the f' you asking?
plain.gif

I see this thread has gotten out of hand quite quickly...

I do not go out trying to look "rich"... I don't give a **** what I wear or what other people wear... I have $30K watches, $7000 shoes, $5000 suits and the list goes on. It doesn't interest me at all if any of you believe me or not, that ain't my problem...

My whole point is that lately, I've become quite a suit lover and wear them quite often, and the point of this thread was merely finding out what the whole deal is with suspenders/braces is, that's all...I'm not very experienced with extremely elegant attire, cos just as tricky mentioned, I would always go out in jeans and a tee, I'd even go in a tracksuit if I knew the owner well. And I've had enough of that ****, it becomes boring and lame.

So here I am thinking I'd get some quality responses from some experienced individuals...Although some of you did give some good advice, so yeah, thanks for that gentlemen....

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is trying to be negative towards you but just trying to make a point that looking elegant in an extremely non-elegant venue is kinda sketch.

Maybe I'm not familiar with the types of venues you're attending but if you're hitting up a big club (and I'm guessing it's an EDM scene?) then you'll probably feel really out of place in suspenders.

I wasn't trying to imply that you're trying to look rich but you're gonna look like you're trying to showoff that you're rich if you hit up a party venue in elegant attire...even if you're not showing off.

It's like going grocery shopping in a tux because you love tuxes.

Anyways it's just my .02 but if you like em then by all means wear them to the club.

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricky
It's like going grocery shopping in a tux because you love tuxes.

Anyways it's just my .02 but if you like em then by all means wear them to the club.

Ya I feel you man, if I'm cool with it and feel comfortable then whatever *******...

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why dont you get your trousers with a side tab ? No suspernders and no belt

HPress

Reaction score
I see this thread has gotten out of hand quite quickly... I do not go out trying to look "rich"... I don't give a **** what I wear or what other people wear... I have $30K watches, $7000 shoes, $5000 suits and the list goes on. It doesn't interest me at all if any of you believe me or not, that ain't my problem... My whole point is that lately, I've become quite a suit lover and wear them quite often, and the point of this thread was merely finding out what the whole deal is with suspenders/braces is, that's all...I'm not very experienced with extremely elegant attire, cos just as tricky mentioned, I would always go out in jeans and a tee, I'd even go in a tracksuit if I knew the owner well. And I've had enough of that ****, it becomes boring and lame. So here I am thinking I'd get some quality responses from some experienced individuals...Although some of you did give some good advice, so yeah, thanks for that gentlemen....
At first, the comments in this thread made me want to post a very negative comment. Whatever. What I don't understand is how, if you have $$$$ like this, can you possibly care what people will think about your suspenders? I can't see them being a big deal for anyone either way. Try it out for a night. Start a trend. See if anyone compliments them, or makes a snide comment.

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del

I havent really seen that many around lately to be honest...Or maybe just didnt notice I guess...:s

Originally Posted by HPress
Try it out for a night. Start a trend. See if anyone compliments them, or makes a snide comment.

Word.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
If you're sitting in VIP, you don't need pants. * - B * PP

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by burnbulb
I don't think it matters what club your going to. As said before its your choice, if you like braces(i do ) wear them and don't care what people say and yes show them off.

Well said, burnbulb. *

- B

* PP

HPress

Reaction score
Besides, attitude matters so much more in a nightclub than clothes ever can. When people look at you, even from a distance, they immediately pay attention to how you interact with people around you (facial expressions, gestures, etc.) and judge you on that more than what you're wearing.

For example, imagine a movie star, dressed in a crumpled Home Depot t-shirt and faded jeans and ratty shoes, deftly entertaining a beaming crowd which is listening and leaning in eagerly and then a tired investment banker in a beautiful bespoke suit who is hanging onto the edge of a crowd and being ignored. Who looks better? Who would you rather hang out with? Party with?

The Silverfox

Reaction score
It's a big world, and different attires are received differently in different places. I'm not going to get into the whole snarkfest of whether or not suits are appropriate, who looks like a douche and who's seen the biggest club-bill. If you claim suits are appropriate for the kinds of clubs you go to in the part of the world you are, I believe you.

On the topic of suspenders/braces:

Braces are appropriate in any kind of setting where pants around the ancles would be inappropriate.

That's it... Yeah some people might think less of you for it, but an idiot might think less of you for claiming the earth was round not that long ago. They're not as common as they were, so some might think it a strange choice. You are just going to have to live with that, as I don't see any way of getting around it. If you get a question about it, just explain that they are a more functional and comfortable (in my mind at least) alternative to belts, and they'll either get it or they won't.

Personally though, I'm not that fond of showing off mine. I kind of feel that their appropriate classification is the old one, as underwear. I guess I feel about braces a bit like I feel about wildly-coloured fun-socks. That their charm is the fact that they only make an occational appearance. So going jacket-less with braces, as well as wearing short trousers with bold socks, is something that to me is too ostentatious. The charm is in the subtlety.

Annadale

Reaction score
I think you may all have misunderstood what I mean by "nightclub"...

Without being too blunt, Im talking about going to an exclusive club, on a vip table, and a bill that will most likely total over £2K.

And here's me attempting to be modest...

God, you are a bumptious little brat, aren't you?

lastlight

Reaction score
Ive worn linen pants, blue and white shirt and a tie, got lots of comments...... including one from CHUCK LIDELL (edit, i was drunk off ****** and he may have just said excuse me, but ill pretend it was way cooler. :p )

It worked (cause everyone was in affliction) but it also felt awkward, out of place, and really uncomfortable. The only reason it worked at all was I was in a ragtag group anyways (me, one in designer douchewear, and one in vans, beat jeans, and flannell carhart shirt). Would not do it again though.

PS DONT WEAR SUSPENDERS TO THE CLUB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads