• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches: Gadgets or Jewelry

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
lets just say most people don't wear watches because they want to know what time it is (myself included.)

other wear watches for utility, such as pilots, divers, hikers/mountaineers.

it's what you make it to be.

Couldn't they have a dual purpose, same as clothes, cars, houses, etc.?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bimmy
a watch is almost completely unnecessary in today's world...
This part I disagree with. For instance, I travel a lot, and I always set my watch to my home time zone. I cannot count the number of times that my cellphone batteries have died down and I've not been able to charge them in time. I always resort to my watch to run my schedule and know when my flights are. Until such time that "modern" gadgets (cellphones, laptops, iPads etc) have batteries that last years, I call bullshit on this one. Of course, it would work great if you lead a boring life where all you do is walk back and forth between your home and your office.

stinsonbass

Reaction score
I guess it is both? Currently I am wearing a Longines from the following collection: Les Grandes Classiques de Longines .. The name already says it .. (I'm not that into the "Rolex appeal") I think that I regard my watch as not really jewelry but rather a fashion accessory and gadget with an important utility + it matches my golden family seal ring

l4.205.2.11.2-1.jpg

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I manage a group which spans multiple time zones, with the majority of my staff in NYC and London. I use an IWC UTC (3251 classic dial) displaying local (NYC) time and London time in the UTC register. I use it probably 5-10 times per day, especially when traveling and checking calendars when remote.

As far as jewelery goes, I think a man should wear, at most, a wedding band and a watch, so sure, it fills that purpose too.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
The mechanical watch is pure utensil is anachronistic. The most basic quartz is light years better at basic timekeeping than any mechanical. That's not to devalue real watches, but to say that they're purely tools is a bit disengenuous.

yes as far as to the second timekeeping quartz is the clear winner. this does not however in my opinion make a mechanical watch less utilitarian if one chooses to wear one. does it matter if after a month my watch is 2 minutes off. most people when asked the time round it to the nearest 5 min anyway.

again a good mechanical watch is much more than that to me. just within your statement i think a mech watch can be very much utensil.

Originally Posted by blazingazn
lets just say most people don't wear watches because they want to know what time it is (myself included.)

other wear watches for utility, such as pilots, divers, hikers/mountaineers.

it's what you make it to be.

i wear my watch because i want the time. a glance at my wrist is much easier than grabbing my cell phone out of the holster, pressing the unlock button, looking at it for the time, pressing the button again and then putting it away.

now sure i have a watch that is more than just a time keeper, once im getting one might as well go with something i like. but 100% its prime function is to tell me the time.

and to echo what others have said, my watch keeps a second timezone with an AM/PM indicator which i set to the location of relatives who are a several hour time zone diferential than i am. this makes it easy to be sure im not calling them at 3AM

sorry if im a bit pushy about this but i am kind of a watch enthusiast

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
yes as far as to the second timekeeping quartz is the clear winner. this does not however in my opinion make a mechanical watch less utilitarian if one chooses to wear one. does it matter if after a month my watch is 2 minutes off. most people when asked the time round it to the nearest 5 min anyway.

again a good mechanical watch is much more than that to me. just within your statement i think a mech watch can be very much utensil.

i wear my watch because i want the time. a glance at my wrist is much easier than grabbing my cell phone out of the holster, pressing the unlock button, looking at it for the time, pressing the button again and then putting it away.

now sure i have a watch that is more than just a time keeper, once im getting one might as well go with something i like. but 100% its prime function is to tell me the time.

and to echo what others have said, my watch keeps a second timezone with an AM/PM indicator which i set to the location of relatives who are a several hour time zone diferential than i am. this makes it easy to be sure im not calling them at 3AM

sorry if im a bit pushy about this but i am kind of a watch enthusiast

This takes some from our argument.

kasakka

Reaction score
For me watches are mostly jewelry. I wear them because they look nice, the fact that they are also mechanical devices and show the time is just a bonus.

Nelton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Daseinflaw
It's actually a phone watch.
#

Yes my friend had one on early release last year or two years ago as his dad works for LG, retail price was mad like £900, it was just a bit of an awkward phone that you really can't talk into without looking strange and have to one handed text on it, I don't think it lasted long...

ggtk

Reaction score
Depends on the watch.. but I'd think mostly jewelry. My daily wear is a seiko black monster and I also use the divers bezel as a sort of stop watch timer for cooking. Sure, a casio quartz could do the same thing but I'd prefer to wear something more substantial than a plastic and rubber watch.

kraands

Reaction score
Jewelry for me. The battery in the watch I wear most has been dead since last fall. Shows how much I use watches for function.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads