• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing your clothing

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Help! How do I fold my underwear?

OPTiK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
How many times do you wear a condom until you wash it?

Depends, if its the same girl I usually do a cold soak after.. if its a different girl i'll do a delicate
cycle in the washing machine. I get some sweet junk fadez that way.
nest.gif

On a serious note, I always wear a undershirt like Jekyll, so I usually wear it a few times until it gets too wrinkled/smells/gets a stain/stretches out. Dress shirts usually only last 2-3 wears though.

-OPTiK

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
A lot of basic questions on the forum lately. When do you wash your shirt? How do you handwash clothes? What socks do you wear with shoes? Your mamas should be ashamed for sending you out into the world so ill prepared.

What if we're orphans?

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
It is a basic question but one in which some people need help with. I live with 2 women (call me Jack Tripper) and for awhile the washing machine was running 24/7. I was like WTF so I started peeking in their laundry basket and asking questions.

"Hey, isn't that the tank top you wore yesterday?"

Yes.

"It doesn't look dirty and the fabric doesn't come in contact with the armpits so why wash?"

That's true - I guess there's no need to put it in the wash.

"What about these jeans, how many times did you wear them, does the butt crack area smell like ass?"

Ummm......no. I only wore that once too.

Long story short they've cut the washing in half and even thanked me for making them aware of it because it saves them alot of work (they like to iron everything.) They also admitted that anything they basically touched went straight in the wash just by habit. Also, I could buy an outfit each month with the money I save on water bills.

One thing to consider though is long term storage. I've heard that even the slightest amount of sweat/odor on fabric will attract moths and create yellow stains if they sit too long.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier

One thing to consider though is long term storage. I've heard that even the slightest amount of sweat/odor on fabric will attract moths and create yellow stains if they sit too long.

If one has insects in their closet....pest control, not clothes washing, should be the item looked into.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wear shirts once

dress shirts especially, always have 5 out at dry cleaners, and a good 15 in my closet, have a nice rotation going

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
t shirt = underwear. I was raised to wear clean underwear and therefore change them daily or as frequent as they become unclean.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
How many times do you wear a condom until you wash it?

Congrats on making your first funny post.
cheers.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
General guidelines:

Wash when you have a full load. (This will mean having enough clothes to get through the week.)

Wash like colors together (light with light, dark with dark, etc).

Use cold water only whenever possible.

Don't overdo the detergent.

Take special care with things that are delicate or whose colors might bleed. If a label says "Dry clean only," then dry clean only.

Don't let the wash sit in the machine for hours after it's been washed unless you're going for the sour milk smell.

Hang dry anything that might shrink in the dryer.

Make sure your machine is level to avoid damage to the machine during spin cycles.

Keep bleach AWAY from the washing area, unless you like the acid-washed look.

I'm sure there's more... .

Wow, I make a youtube video on this!

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the 6" armpit rule,,, if I can smell some BO on the armpits from about 6" away then it goes in for a wash, just be carefull missjudging it when you get sick with the cold ;-)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads