• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Chicago tomorrow

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, over in wheaton there is an Emilo's tapas which is worth the ride over there.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
My last experience at Gibsons was pretty horrific. One dinner companion's steak was still cold in the center and it was ordered medium. They sear the outsides well and make it look pretty, but I've had a better steak at Weber Grill.

Personally, I'm more of a Mr. Beef guy. Authentic Chicago. Bullshit free dining. Great people watching.

http://chicago.citysearch.com/profil...l/mr_beef.html

---- This is my experience with Gibson's steaks. It's amazing how the hype/ambience keeps people paying premium dollar for at best, average to poorly done steak Capital Grill, Ruth's, Sullivan's, Morton's all do a better job than Gibson's and Joe's 3 selections of Bone In's surpasses all consisently.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
Also, over in wheaton there is an Emilo's tapas which is worth the ride over there.

I hear this is excellent, but don't make it to Wheaton very often.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Gibson's at best, average to poorly done steak

Soph, it sounds as if you're having trouble getting a table at Gibson's
wink.gif

The food tastes much better when you don't have to wait.
sly.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Soph, it sounds as if you're having trouble getting a table at Gibson's
wink.gif

The food tastes much better when you don't have to wait.
sly.gif

---Unlikely, as you can freely walk into lunch at Gibson's and be seated inside/outside or at the bar. I've eaten at all three areas multiple times. We'll just agree to strongly disagree on this one, my friend. I do like lunch outside in the spring/summer at Gibson's though just for the people watching and the filet sliders with mashed.

And I dated some hostesses remember, seating usually wasn't a problem and one of my co workers like to get a bar table at 4:30 pm and sit there all night so I'm quite famaliar with that scene.

uslexus

Reaction score
Have any of you eaten at Grotto On State? I was there once and the service was so so but the food was cooked horribly, You'd find gibsons to be perfection compared to this place.

Have you been to the Signature Room recently for lunch? I think they might be under new management. They changed their menu around for lunch and was there not too long ago and found it to be pretty good. For dinner the views are great, but find it to be a big tourist trap.

But Soph, you've convinced me, I will try Joes in the next week or so and let you know you my thoughts!

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
I hear this is excellent, but don't make it to Wheaton very often.

There is one downtown, but I think the Wheaton one has better food, and the loop one has more elegant women.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In Greektown I usually go to Kostas. Is there a better place?

Pane Caldo for lunch.

ejquin

Reaction score
I just want to second the rec of Joe's bone in steaks. I've eaten all over the city, and thier bone in NY is phenominal.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
two questions -

any of you been to the charcoal oven in skokie? that is a pretty interesting place

sliders? are we talking little hamburgers? (I never get to these places for lunch)

charlief1975

Reaction score
All the food talk has me hungry...

But I wonder how the original poster's shopping trip worked or is working out.

Chicago

Reaction score
Might as well chime in about the food side of things.

1. If you go to Joe's, get the Alaskan Snow Crab as an appetizer. After you first cocktail or two, and after you've ordered your meal, call the sommelier over and ask for a reccomendation on at least 2-3 wines (you don't have to order them all of course). In my experience they've reccomended some fantasic wines to compliment the meals (they do however tend to pick out the pricier ones more often than not). The only negative thing about Joe's is that they tend to hurry you along, and it can be annoying.
2. For a great steak joint I highly reccomend the Erie Street Cafe. The steak is some of the best in the city, but beware, the portions are massive.

Other good choices I've seen: Capital Grill, Kostas, Riva on Navy Pier has pretty good seafood.

uslexus

Reaction score
SLIDERS! The Sliders at Gibsons are little Filet Mignon Sandwiches. They're actually very good.

I was at Rosebud on Rush tonight, had the Veal Piccatta, very good.

I need to get over and try Alinea, hear the service is the best, but there is a price tag to go along with it. I'm having a condo built not too far from there...need to get used to the area
smile.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uslexus
SLIDERS! The Sliders at Gibsons are little Filet Mignon Sandwiches. They're actually very good.

Try the steak and cake
inlove.gif

Jill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uslexus
...I was at Rosebud on Rush tonight, had the Veal Piccatta, very good.
Someone finally mentioned it! I think Rosebud on Walton is the best steakhouse in town. (And I ate steak 2-3 times/week when I was there on expense account for over a year!) My second favorite is The Grill on the Alley, which is just downstairs from the Westin on North Michigan. The third one I can't remember the name of, but it's in Schaumberg. The Chop House, or some such. For seafood, I like Nick's Fish Market. The Lobster Thermidor is amazing.

Back to clothes, ragdoll. Just stick to NoMi and Oak and you can't go wrong. Just make sure the car is full of gas before you go shopping though. You may not be able to afford to get back home otherwise! The Filenes of Mich Ave is pretty good, sometimes. You just have to hit 'em right. I hear there's a really good tailor there on Oak street, too.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads