• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage" Clothes

Charles Rogers

Reaction score
What do you wear that you didn't buy the first time around? Here are some picks of what I just took from my dad's closet. His fraternity t:
dads14pf.jpg
dads26br.jpg
It could be fun to patch up later, but I kinda don't want to ruin it's unaffected state.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a sweet shirt - it does run into the "regimental tie" problem: Sig Phi Epsilon members might have a problem with you wearing it. How's your dad feel about you wearing it?

Duffer St. George did some frat-inspired shirts a few years back, but I think it would be considered more of a novelty in England. You don't see a lot of dudes sporting letters over there. Here you run the risk of looking like just another American Jackass.

People on SF seem to have incredible vintage finds. Personally, I have a few secondhand ties that I like, a couple of 80s polo shirts (le tigre, la coste, brooks bros), a badass Testament tshirt, and a few blazers. Also a member's only jacket that I cannot pull off.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duffer St. George did some frat-inspired shirts a few years back, but I think it would be considered more of a novelty in England. You don't see a lot of dudes sporting letters over there. Here you run the risk of looking like just another American Jackass.
The problem with Duffer St. George is that you will look like a Jackass wherever you are..... just my opinion though.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know lots of Sig Eps, and they would have a huge problem with you wearing that (assuming you're not a member).

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
a good 50% of my wardrobe is vintage (for me *vintage* only applies between late 40s-early 60s, anything after that is anathema) mostly 50s stuff, with a good handful of early 60s...sold off the few 40s pieces i had (cable knits, hollywood jackets etc) my latest score on ebay (which cost a good $$$
sad.gif
) is a shortsleeve pink 50s silk rayon gabardine shirt with UFOs all over it...this is actually something i have been searching for that i *finally* found in my size
laugh.gif
i have a few vintage 60s mod cut suits, 50s gabardine jackets and tons of 50s gabardine shirts and 60s acrylic/orlon knits for my body frame, the vintage stuff fits perfectly like it was tailor made. the shirts are slimfitting and there is a ton of good gear for a size Med 40" chest. plus the fabrics were awesome back then, vintage gabardines drape in a way that very few modern fabrics do without paying top dollar.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty,April 22 2005,10:27
I know lots of Sig Eps, and they would have a huge problem with you wearing that (assuming you're not a member).
EXCELLENT reason to wear it.
You do realize the man's father is a Sig Ep, right? I doubt he wants to insult the group.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey, if you're questioned, just say you're a Little Sister.

Cake

Reaction score
More alphabets in the UK than letters, usually "chav" inspired FCUK hoodies and T-shirts. Then there's your ubiquitous football (that's soccer to you) shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads