• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versatile dress shoe for travel?

gachimai

Reaction score
Hello

I've looked through tons of old threads on this topic and gotten some ideas, but hoping for some more input.

I travel to Japan 2-3 times a year on business. I usually go for about 2-3 weeks at a time. Sometimes I do go when the weather sucks (rain, snow) I always seem to be there during a typhoon. So, dress shoes are important for meetings, but not slipping and keeping dry feet while walking 5-10 miles a day are more important.

So, I figured I have to get rubber soled dress shoes. I know Allen Edmonds has some options. What other brands have something that look good with a suit or dressed down, comfortable for walking in Tokyo and can handle some bad weather. I have seen some posts people suggesting chukka boots as well. Any advice?

Thanks!

ESmooth

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of Cole Haan dress shoes for work related activities like trade shows and customer visits. While they aren't necessarily loved here on the forum, I have to admit they are very comfortable and look nice enough. They have a Nike Air sole which means you can stand/walk in them all day comfortably, they are waterproof, and are even listed as being re-craftable. I figure for a pair of beaters, I could do a lot worse, especially since they are on sale.

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/product.jsp?catId=100&productId=426333&productGroup=426335

ESmooth

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of Cole Haan dress shoes for work related activities like trade shows and customer visits. While they aren't necessarily loved here on the forum, I have to admit they are very comfortable and look nice enough. They have a Nike Air sole which means you can stand/walk in them all day comfortably, they are waterproof, and are even listed as being re-craftable. I figure for a pair of beaters, I could do a lot worse, especially since they are on sale.

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/product.jsp?catId=100&productId=426333&productGroup=426335

gachimai

Reaction score
I did actually try on some Cole Haan's Saturday as I was curious about the Nike Air technology, I didn't like the look of the shoes they carried, and I knew I would never wear them other than on trips.

Thanks

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Brungomalis rubber-soled wingtip shoes are to go-to comfort shoes. :hide:

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I have lived in Japan for about 11 years. There was a time when I lived in the US, but travelled here for business once every 4 weeks. The advice used to be to bring slipons when you visit Japan. Depending on how much entertaining you do (or how much is done to you), that might be something to consider, but I have never really followed that advice. For that stretch of time, you probably want two pair of shoes to give one pair adequate time to dry out.

I personally don't like chuka boots, but they are an option.

How about a monk strap with a thin profile rubber sole? C&J's Savile with a toppy added?

Bic

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For 2-3 weeks you need two or three pairs of shoes. I would bring: 1. Calf, leather soled shoe, burgundy 2. suede danite soled shoe brown, 3. athletic shoes for the gym.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello
I've looked through tons of old threads on this topic and gotten some ideas, but hoping for some more input.
I travel to Japan 2-3 times a year on business. I usually go for about 2-3 weeks at a time. Sometimes I do go when the weather sucks (rain, snow) I always seem to be there during a typhoon. So, dress shoes are important for meetings, but not slipping and keeping dry feet while walking 5-10 miles a day are more important.
So, I figured I have to get rubber soled dress shoes. I know Allen Edmonds has some options. What other brands have something that look good with a suit or dressed down, comfortable for walking in Tokyo and can handle some bad weather. I have seen some posts people suggesting chukka boots as well. Any advice?
Thanks!

rubber sole dress shoes won't keep you dry.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just picked up a pair of Cole Haan dress shoes for work related activities like trade shows and customer visits.  While they aren't necessarily loved here on the forum, I have to admit they are very comfortable and look nice enough.  They have a Nike Air sole which means you can stand/walk in them all day comfortably, they are waterproof, and are even listed as being re-craftable.  I figure for a pair of beaters, I could do a lot worse, especially since they are on sale.

Boss is a great band and because of their defusion lines ie) boss orange, boss black etc etc they are really affordable! These are great and also look good for the casual looks. 
http://stylefeed.com/#products/4e6eeaceabd74e00b7b828a5

Yet another blind blind leading the blind thread.

Please keep the misinformation coming!

I travel just about every other week for work. I usually take a pair of loafers for ease at the airport (usually RL Marlows but sometimes Guccis) and a pair of dress boots or oxfords depending on what the weather will be. I also look at bringing something with a rubber toppy or Vibram if there will be rain or snow. Make sure to bring one set of shoe trees so that the pair you are not wearing can rest with them and gym shoes--if you work out.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I gotta second Patek here you guys are all citing crap brands.

Personally I go for RM Williams Comfort Craftsman on the actual flights. Also Paraboot or Heschung shoes with the Galaxy sole. Monk straps or laces replaced with elastic laces.

gachimai

Reaction score

I have lived in Japan for about 11 years. There was a time when I lived in the US, but travelled here for business once every 4 weeks. The advice used to be to bring slipons when you visit Japan. Depending on how much entertaining you do (or how much is done to you), that might be something to consider, but I have never really followed that advice. For that stretch of time, you probably want two pair of shoes to give one pair adequate time to dry out.
I personally don't like chuka boots, but they are an option.
How about a monk strap with a thin profile rubber sole? C&J's Savile with a toppy added?
Bic

When I lived in Japan, I did find myself using slip on shoes a lot. You'll find yourself going out drinking for work and will end up at some izakaya in which you have to take off your shoes.

Normally I would rather buy my shoes in Japan as I seem to find more options in my size (maybe that's cause I'm Japanese!)

I'll look for the C&F Savile, I like that, thanks for the suggestion. Problem is finding a place here in L.A. Too bad Leather Soul doesn't stock C&J

malat

Reaction score
I travel to Japan quite often throughout the year, usually staying 8-10 days at a time. When I do travel there, I bring three pairs of shoes: casual sneakers for walking around on weekends, black calf loafers (pic'd below), and brown suede lace-ups with a rubber sole for nights and wet walking (pic'd below).

black gravati loafer

brown gravati suede

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My boring but practical advice is black loafer with a topy'ed sole. Yes, you will need to remove footwear alot. Good socks without holes a must.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads