• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
With what people have written, we're ruling out Check Tweeds and Tartans...we're off to our fabric source this morning to search for Japanese Florals...we'll try to post some photos up later today with ACTUAL liner options... Wish us luck!

hangten

Reaction score

With what people have written, we're ruling out Check Tweeds and Tartans...we're off to our fabric source this morning to search for Japanese Florals...we'll try to post some photos up later today with ACTUAL liner options...  Wish us luck!

Definitely would consider the Japanese florals. I have seen the Vanson bright red liner. Are there any other darker shades of solid red available?

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for Thurston Bros.

Are you going to make one single prototype of the base model jacket? Or will you be making several protos to display all possible options, i.e one with a belt, etc

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That would get expensive quickly... IMO if you want to salad bar options you should run the risk of doing it unseen. IMO some of the suggestions are already heading toward salad bar territory.

Last edited:

HeavenResign

Reaction score
Yeah the prototype is really just to nail down fit and other details, it doesn't take much imagination to see a belt on it, especially since there's a picture of the original on the first page

Last edited:

rbnman

Reaction score
Agreed. Key things design wise are lapel/collar sizing, zipper & pocket placements, hem line (straight or curved/scalloped) and back design. Not to mention the actual leather being used for the production model.

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Definitely would consider the Japanese florals. I have seen the Vanson bright red liner. Are there any other darker shades of solid red available?
The only two red options are Vanson's red rayon and red quilted liner...the red quilted liner is a classic British red liner that we see a lot in vintage Lewis Leathers and other British moto jackets.

Question for Thurston Bros.

Are you going to make one single prototype of the base model jacket? Or will you be making several protos to display all possible options, i.e one with a belt, etc

There's just going to be one prototype that we'll be working with to start the production process...the spec details can be altered for individual orders, but we'll have a single base model to work from.

We're going back out tomorrow to a different fabric source to do some further research...today's outing did not yield the fabric choices that we'd hoped for. All the Japanese florals we found were 100% cotton.

We'll post up swatches once we're back at the office!

HeavenResign

Reaction score
blue camo is cooler than I thought if we can't find any rayon dark florals/paisleys/etc

Last edited:

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the "special" lining is the one we all agree upon with the option of solid rayon also available? I vote no on camo, I feel like it's been camo overload for the last two years, can't take anymore.

Any pics of jackets with marlin and dutch blue around?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads