• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

DeadDJ

Reaction score
No, people are assuming (probably correctly) that Brian SD is saying TOJ jackets are based on the 5 zip. If that's the case, the claim is incorrect. Stock TOJ double rider jackets, for better or worse, are slim and balanced in measurements. The 5 zip is cut like a classic perfecto: exaggerated shoulder, medium arms, tiny torso, incredibly short.

I've owned multiple 5 zips and sold them because of their cut, and handled more. I've handled new and old ones; the cut was always the same. I've also owned multiple TOJ jackets and handled stock ones. And before anyone else asks, TOJ has categorically refused to do a full 5 zip replica.

Now, back to the Thurston Vanson SF MTO.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

if the original guy wrote something like the below it would not need an explanation

No, people are assuming (probably correctly) that Brian SD is saying TOJ jackets are based on the 5 zip. If that's the case, the claim is incorrect. Stock TOJ double rider jackets, for better or worse, are slim and balanced in measurements. The 5 zip is cut like a classic perfecto: exaggerated shoulder, medium arms, tiny torso, incredibly short.

I've owned multiple 5 zips and sold them because of their cut, and handled more. I've handled new and old ones; the cut was always the same. I've also owned multiple TOJ jackets and handled stock ones. And before anyone else asks, TOJ has categorically refused to do a full 5 zip replica.

thank you

Tuma

Reaction score
I am also interested in DR. Wouldn't change a thing in it thoug. Guys who want to get rid of the belt: would you leave the belt loops?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The ToJ pattern seems to have changed over the years, but @Brian SD is right. And he'd know better than anyone. Brian is one of the original moderators here, and an original Superfuture poster (me too, fwiw.) To put it in perspective, we met in person nearly a decade ago. And he and Drew predate ToJ, so he was there from the beginning.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am also interested in DR. Wouldn't change a thing in it thoug. Guys who want to get rid of the belt: would you leave the belt loops?

There are numerous versions of that Vanson, and the design is never exactly the same. We are dialing in o a really cool and balanced combination of details, and I think that you guys will be stoked when you see the design. We will likely use the same leather as the inspiration.

What lining? I want tartan with rayon sleeves, personally.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

StyleForum red rayon in body and sleeves. I assume there will be a patch, either on the inside back or inside breast pocket, indicating that the jacket is a SF x Vanson makeup?

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

is it possible to do a black check tartan? thurston said this is possible :
Regarding liner choices, here's the Lochcarron Minto Check Liner...it's pretty classic... Black Rayon is also a good choice...very versatile!
i for one think this would be cool because the red pops too much

DeadDJ

Reaction score

The ToJ pattern seems to have changed over the years, but @Brian SD is right. And he'd know better than anyone. Brian is one of the original moderators here, and an original Superfuture poster (me too, fwiw.) To put it in perspective, we met in person nearly a decade ago. And he and Drew predate ToJ, so he was there from the beginning.

It's entirely possible I'm wrong. If Brian spoke to him and he said that, then it's fact. If not, all of my experience points to the opposite - my first TOJ DR was from one of the first runs, very lightly altered (except for sleeve length, changes were well below 1"), and the fit was very different than the 5 zip. That said, I might reach out to Drew out of curiosity, see if I can find the original measurement chart. If anyone else is interested just PM me so we don't muck up this thread more with unrelated talk.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'm definitely not ******** on anyone I just mean to be realistic about expectations and what we can get out of this project vs other options. I still wear my SFx5EP jeans (god help them they're torn to bits) and I'd love to have another SF creation that will last me years. I'm gonna go try on some Japanese Vansons again today to see if I can offer anything further on the base pattern. Basically I want to see if I think I can fit into one with whatever modifications @LA Guy is planning.

As an aside, Drew and I talked about TOJ over beers long before it became reality, and the single thing it always came back to was "I want to make a MMM Moto that everyone can afford." He has plenty of designs now, and he's done an incredible job building his brand. It's a much bigger beast than I think he envisaged with his original concept.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm definitely not ******** on anyone I just mean to be realistic about expectations and what we can get out of this project vs other options. I still wear my SFx5EP jeans (god help them they're torn to bits) and I'd love to have another SF creation that will last me years. I'm gonna go try on some Japanese Vansons again today to see if I can offer anything further on the base pattern.

As an aside, Drew and I talked about TOJ over beers long before it became reality, and the single thing it always came back to was "I want to make a MMM Moto that everyone can afford." He has plenty of designs now, and he's done an incredible job building his brand. It's a much bigger beast than I think he envisaged with his original concept.

Hey @Brian sd - see if you can find a Junya Vanson, in a size that would fit me - I'm close to the size I used to be way back when, but with a bit more muscle tacked onto my upper body. I am a small medium in US, or a straight up medium European. I'll buy it if it's under $1.5k, and use as a base from which to tweak the stock pattern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics