• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uses for a pressure cooker

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
does it being alive effect the cooking time?

Well, it might still be alive and kicking when you eat it, but not any less cooked.
smile.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
No idea. I wouldn't cook a lobster I didn't kill, though. If you wanted to pierce its brain first, the cooking time ought to be the same. Don't know why you would.
See below
Originally Posted by iammatt
OK, take a live lobster, put in about 2/3 cup of sauternes (or other sweet wine) and 1/3 cup of OJ. Add some aromatic vegetables cut nicely, a tablespoon or so of butter (or olive oil) and some ginger (if you like it.) Close the lid, put over high heat. When it hits the first bar of pressure, or hits pressure set to the lower level, lower the heat and keep at this pressure for three minutes. Then remove from heat and leave another three minutes. Release the pressure, take the lobster out and let it cool a touch. Meanwhile, boil the liquid to reduce it a little and finish cooking the vegetables. Crack the lobster, put in a bowl and spoon the juices over. It will be perfect. Also, like Kyle said, braise stuff, but be careful because it can get pretty dry. Pot au feu, which your loved one would detest, is fantastic in a pressure cooker, especially if made with oxtails.
Just ******* with ya

RPMcMurphy

Reaction score
NYTHING you would usually braise.

Split pea soup.

chili

where my wife will use the slow cooker more, I use my pressure cooker way more!

I make dulce de leche in it too (put a whole can of condensed milk in it, unopened)

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can someone explain exactly what a pressure cooker does and how that translates to usefulness in cooking?

blackjack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RPMcMurphy
ANYTHING you would usually braise.

Split pea soup.

chili

where my wife will use the slow cooker more, I use my pressure cooker way more!

I make dulce de leche in it too (put a whole can of condensed milk in it, unopened)

I thought you were kidding at first...

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Dulce-De-Leche
In a Pressure Cooker

Brazil doce de leite (Portuguese for dulce de leche) is often made using a pressure cooker because it's safe and fast.

1 Put a liter of water in the pressure cooker with a can of sweetened condensed milk. Don't punch any holes in the can, but remove the label.

2 Bring the cooker to boil and wait for between 40 and 50 minutes after it begins to steam. Shorter time = lighter/softer doce. Longer time = darker/firmer doce.

3 Turn off the heat and wait until it cools down completely. While the cooker is pressurized by the steam, its pressure will counter balance the pressure build up inside the can, and prevent it from exploding. Let everything cool down before opening the pressure cooker. If you attempt to open a hot, or even warm can, an extremely hot jet of doce may explode out and result in severe burns. Wait until it is cool; then it will be perfectly safe to open the can and enjoy this great dessert.
That last bit of advice sounds very important! (underlined)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I have been told that, somewhat counterintuitively, risotto comes out pretty well.
Have not tried it myself.

My wife does risotto in a pressure cooker; it is good and cuts the time down.

Also, cassoulet works well.

blackjack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Can someone explain exactly what a pressure cooker does and how that translates to usefulness in cooking?
From high school physics, The Clausius–Clapeyron equation: ln(Pvap) = -DHvap/RT + b http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-pressure-cooker.htm
A pressure cooker is a relatively old technology that allows cooks to prepare certain foods in less time than required by conventional methods. A typical pressure cooker comes in the form of a large pot that includes a locking lid; they are ideal for a wide variety of recipes including soups, stews, beans and meat etc. The pot is placed on a stove and the liquid within begins to boil; the sealed lid prevents steam from escaping and the pressure increases. Water typically boils at 100°C (212°F) but when it is under pressure in a pressure cooker, the boiling point rises to about 121°C (250°F). This higher temperature drastically reduces cooking time and the moist steam serves to tenderize the ingredients. Although pressure cookers have been around for centuries, recent improvements have made them much easier and safer to use. The primary danger of older pressure cookers was a lid that would explode due to intense pressure within the pot. Modern pressure cookers include an array of safety mechanisms that prevent such dangerous episodes. Modern pressure cookers are a safe way to speed up the process of cooking and to keep foods moist and tender. Furthermore the reduced cooking times decreases the cost of fuel required for preparing food.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, this is helpful, but I still don't understand completely why it would be good for a braise. I thought the point of a braise was long cooking at a low temp. Playing with the boiling point of the water doesn't seem like it would have any effect.

I've also heard stocks are better. I suppose I understand how the higher temp might extract more flavor from the ingredients, but I've also heard that it makes the stock clearer. How does that work?

I can't imagine making risotto in a PC. You'd lose the ability to adjust for taste and firmness, and the cooking and stirring part of risotto only takes like 20 minutes anyways.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Thanks, this is helpful, but I still don't understand completely why it would be good for a braise. I thought the point of a braise was long cooking at a low temp. Playing with the boiling point of the water doesn't seem like it would have any effect. I've also heard stocks are better. I suppose I understand how the higher temp might extract more flavor from the ingredients, but I've also heard that it makes the stock clearer. How does that work? I can't imagine making risotto in a PC. You'd lose the ability to adjust for taste and firmness, and the cooking and stirring part of risotto only takes like 20 minutes anyways.
Re braises, you are able to raise the temp a bit while still cooking in a liquid environment without boiling. Because of this you break down collagen faster than you would at a lower temp simmer, yet you still are avoiding clouding the liquid with a boil and agitating the meat so that it falls apart. It doesn't give a better result. In fact, it gives, in my opinion, a slightly worse result, but it is much faster. For stocks it is better because you don't care what the meat tastes like after your braise, and you get a much higher gelatin and flavor extraction in a relatively short period of time. **** isn't in the meat anymore. As for clarity, I would say it is equal.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Matt... I guess I assumed that breaking down the collagens was absolutely a question of temperature and temp only. I guess you're still saying sort of the same thing, but that it just preserves the broth better without it boiling away.

Is the boil what clouds a broth? I thought it had somethign to do with the temp at which the fats break down or something.

BTW, are there rules of thumb for how much pressure you're supposed to build? Is that regulated somehow with a valve, I presume? Or is it always a closed system and you regulate pressure with temp?

And how do you open the thing after cooking? Again, some kind of valve?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, you can cook a veal stock for eight hours on the stove, or about 2-3 in a pressure cooker and get similar results wrt gelatin, so it is more about time than absolute results. Some people think there is more flavor from less simmering and dispersion into the atmosphere. I am not positive, but I definitely think there is no less. Extraction per minute of cooking is better, for sure.

Boiling clouds the broth because microparticles are more likely to become disengaged in moving water, and because it emulsifies fat into the liquid.

There are two kinds of pressure cookers -- venting and non-venting. With one, you set a level of pressure with a weight, with the other, there is a marker which shows you when you hit different levels of pressure. For meat, you want 15 pounds. That is generally the high setting, unless you have some crazy industrial machine.

As to opening, it depends. For cooked food, you generally use a release valve, or, sometimes, you pour cold water over the unit to lower the temp. With stock you always let it release naturally, because if you use the valve you end up having a super high boil for a few secs as the liquid, which may be 250 deg, tries to cool itself off quickly as it returns to normal temp. You get cloudy stock.

acl1

Reaction score
One of the simplest meals I've made is replacing the water used to cook rice with chicken stock. The result is a really flavorful rice thats fantastic on its own.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 1 1/2lbs of ground grassfed beef, and a pressure cooker. Recipe ideas?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads