• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Having been steered away from Fox Flannels, for some of the reasons mentioned above regarding how it tailors (and perhaps price), I'm back to Minnis flannels. Looking for a mid grey and a light grey. Anyone have a specific recommendation from the flannel book?

Also suggested alternatives to flannels that you have used and like (14 oz range)? A robust twill/whipcord, mid grey?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having been steered away from Fox Flannels, for some of the reasons mentioned above regarding how it tailors (and perhaps price), I'm back to Minnis flannels. Looking for a mid grey and a light grey. Anyone have a specific recommendation from the flannel book?

Also suggested alternatives to flannels that you have used and like (14 oz range)? A robust twill/whipcord, mid grey?

There is a lovely twill in the Holland and Sherry Dakota book that I had made up earlier this year. I use them as a slightly more casual, slightly more versatile alternative to flannel.

bamboo

Reaction score

@kolecho was running re-issue of old spec mid grey Minnis flannel.

Dakota book's cavalry twill is nice and drapes well but not so warm. I like whipcord from Dormeiul's natural series, which is more sturdier.

bamboo

Reaction score
Man, I don't want to sound like a total whiner, but what happened to Fox's prices? I was thinking of posting one of my previous commissions in their photo competition and looked up the cloth I used. I paid £72 a meter and that same cloth goes for £140 now. I literally bought it 12 months ago.

I read some earlier comments about tailors not particularly being fond of working with Fox cloth, but I like the pieces I had made from their cloth and would consider buying again, if the prices were reasonable.

They decided demand curve is very price inelastic.

I speculate trade price (real volume range) not increased as much as retail or web price (which accounts for small portion of their business). I guess it is good for some tailors/garment makers as they can sell their final products at higher prices more easily by quoting very expensive retail cloth prices. It is a win-win situation for cloth merchant and garment maker.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Harrison's flannel / Harrison's cashmere overcoat book for whipcord

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I choose scents only depending on the season (cold/warm) and time of the day (day/night). I'm not an advanced player, so to say.
Same here. Season and day vs. night.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with clothes containing a large percentage of synthetic material? I'm about to receive a jacket from a cloth that is roughly 80% cotton and 20% polyamide. The cloth doesn't have any give to it, and it has the feel of a thick cotton gauze. Other summer open weaves (wool and silk) that I've had aren't particularly sturdy, and I'm hoping this one is. But I've never had a synthetic before (save for a pair of cotton corduroy trousers that I ordered without being aware that the fabric contained 1% nylon).

View attachment 1087085
I would avoid it like the plague as the saying goes. Best to go with a 100% wool fresco or a wool/linen blend. I have one cotton suit and it wears much hotter than my high-twist, unlined wool summer suits. 20% synthetic sounds like an awful fabric.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need a fabric recommendation. Thinking of commissioning a Double Breasted topcoat (just below the knees). Looking for something simple like Navy wool/cashmere blend. Softer, thick and able to hold its shape. Want to wear it over a suit.

@lordsuperb @TweedyProf

Last edited:
G

Griffindork

I would avoid it like the plague as the saying goes. Best to go with a 100% wool fresco or a wool/linen blend. I have one cotton suit and it wears much hotter than my high-twist, unlined wool summer suits. 20% synthetic sounds like an awful fabric.

Thanks - Already commissioned so it is a done deal. You think it is awful because it is too hot or for some other reason? I have no experience with synthetics.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks - Already commissioned so it is a done deal. You think it is awful because it is too hot or for some other reason? I have no experience with synthetics.
That much synthetic might indeed make it wear hot. I guess it depends on the quality if the cotton as well. It might also feel a bit plasticky.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That much synthetic might indeed make it wear hot. I guess it depends on the quality if the cotton as well. It might also feel a bit plasticky.

I too am a bit leery about synthetics, though Ariston has more than a few fabrics with low to high synthetic content. I don't own any personally, but I've seen a few made up and for the most part you would be hard pressed to identify the ones with synthetic mixes. With that being said, there is a reason natural materials are typically the best and I would generally opt for those if possible.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harrison's Cashmere Overcoat book.
Thanks! Hopefully I can find a blend. I have a single breasted cashmere overcoat from Sartorio. I love it but it's very soft and I want something a bit heavier. Does that book have blends as well?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@smittycl

IMG_4729.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads