• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I react allergic to purple hues in blues, so relate to you. My WB dark navy certainly does not have any such thing. I think I have the 09 final.

Coincidentally I just ordered a suit in the 61309 today, seems I made the right decision. The choice was also informed by a photo here on SF of a suit in the 307 that came out quite light. Looking forward to the fitting with Paone in a month's time.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience with these 2? Both are 2 ply, I suspect the fox will hold its shape better, but ascot will be lighter?

Maybe the answer is the fox air and get a 4ply. I really like the fox air suit I have. But, I’m thinking just odd trousers.

Last edited:

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience with these 2? Both are 2 ply, I suspect the fox will hold its shape better, but ascot will be lighter?

Maybe the answer is the fox air and get a 4ply. I really like the fox air suit I have. But, I’m thinking just odd trousers.

The 2-ply/21 micron Draper’s is not that robust. If that’s what you’re looking for I’d go with the 4-ply, especially for trousers.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you know the Fox Air works, go for that.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good neutral, flexible choice. Unless you really are out in the sticks and don't want to look like a doctor visiting from town. (In Boston, there was a time not too long ago when pretty much every doctor wore grey herringbone Harris tweed-- for every occasion.)
I just totally disagree with the idea that a gray tweed sport coat isn't versatile – a gray herringbone or donegal jacket should be great with denim or basically any darker trousers that aren't gray

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2-ply/21 micron Draper’s is not that robust. If that’s what you’re looking for I’d go with the 4-ply, especially for trousers.

Looks like these guys would be the 4 ply version

If you know the Fox Air works, go for that.

My concern is color - I’m looking for a summer equivalent of a gray flannel trouser. I thought about gray fresco, but I think grays can be a bit too cold for spring / summer. Whereas, a beige has a warmer undertone to it.

Of course, looking at the fabrics makes me want to order a suit in the fabric. Haha

Just ordered the double chalk stripe fox flannel - maybe some of you want to order it as well

Looks nice. Seems awfully pricey for flannel no?

camez_

Reaction score

Looks like these guys would be the 4 ply version

My concern is color - I’m looking for a summer equivalent of a gray flannel trouser. I thought about gray fresco, but I think grays can be a bit too cold for spring / summer. Whereas, a beige has a warmer undertone to it.

Of course, looking at the fabrics makes me want to order a suit in the fabric. Haha

Looks nice. Seems awfully pricey for flannel no?

Take a look at the weight and tell me where I can find something equivalent nowadays. Yes, price is high, but not as high as LL, for instance.

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the weight and tell me where I can something equivalent nowadays. Yes, price is high, but not as high as LL, for instance.
Am I missing something? Fox, retail is 220£ / meter. LL is closer to 160-180£

But I haven’t purchased either in a while. Both are a tad expensive for me. I just had a chalk stripe made in a vintage Harrison’s, from back when fox made for Harrison’s. It’s great. It was my tailor’s stock though.

I’m sitting on an old Taylor & lodge lumbs golden bale gray chalk stripe. And I like the db so much, I’m thinking about having that made as a db (plan was sb), but we’ll see in the fall.

But, it’s truly a beautiful fabric with a great weight. Perhaps I should consider it. I thought about it on the initial drop.

But opted not to, my problem is I’d use the same tailor I already have a navy chalkstripe from - is there room for a second navy db chalkstripe?

IMG_1902.jpeg

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone had reason to try Harris Tweed of Hebrides? I know there are a lot of individual weavers who can put their own stamp on things, but I was wondering if this outlet was better than others at the moment. Their website wound up on my Facebook feed.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Fox, retail is 220£ / meter. LL is closer to 160-180£

But I haven’t purchased either in a while. Both are a tad expensive for me. I just had a chalk stripe made in a vintage Harrison’s, from back when fox made for Harrison’s. It’s great. It was my tailor’s stock though.

I’m sitting on an old Taylor & lodge lumbs golden bale gray chalk stripe. And I like the db so much, I’m thinking about having that made as a db (plan was sb), but we’ll see in the fall.

But, it’s truly a beautiful fabric with a great weight. Perhaps I should consider it. I thought about it on the initial drop.

But opted not to, my problem is I’d use the same tailor I already have a navy chalkstripe from - is there room for a second navy db chalkstripe?

View attachment 2153209

There’s a significant price drop if you have your tailor or someone with an account order for you.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had reason to try Harris Tweed of Hebrides? I know there are a lot of individual weavers who can put their own stamp on things, but I was wondering if this outlet was better than others at the moment. Their website wound up on my Facebook feed.

Honestly, with regard to Harris Tweed, I think the biggest difference between the big mills and the independent producers is that the independents tend to weave single width (75cm), which is a bit heavier than the double width (150cm). My single widths are ~295 g/m, so would be closer to 600 g/m at double width, whereas I think most double width HT is ~550g/m.

Almost positive all HT weavers/mills get their wool/yarn from the same handful of place and then have there cloth 'finished' in one of the three main mills. I think where the primary difference comes in is the designs themselves.

I think by law, all HT needs to be from new wool, manually loomed (no electricity), and completed on the Outer Hebrides Islands. So qualitatively, there shouldn't be that much difference.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads