• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unattractiveness and the discussion of style

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Would you rather be an unkempt unattractive man, or a well-dressed unattractive man.

I'd much rather be an unstylish but good looking man. I can just hang out at the beach all day.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, sometimes trolling (if that's really what it is, I'm not so sure) can actually lead to content
sly.gif
smile.gif

Important (well, fact):

A man can have a very ugly face, and not lose one single point in life for it, with the right attitude (brains, taste, charm, confidence, etc.).

Facial ugliness (which is what I suppose we're really discussing) isn't really that much of a big deal for men. Women with ugly faces suffer far more for it.

And another member's response was
Being good-looking doesn't really matter for men anyway. It's completely unnecessary for a successful career, a full social life, or even success with women. None of my friends who are really successful in any of these areas are particularly good looking. And none of them pays much attention to clothes either. They're just smart, successful, normal, well-balanced people.

wow.gif

Please visit the company's website for the cold hard truth.

The articles don't discuss facial attractiveness in particular, because services are not surgical. Anyway, no research studies brought to the company's attention indicate significant differences in life outcomes between opposite-sex individuals with lifelong very low facial attractiveness. People like that almost always do badly. Anecdotally, that is one reason why they seldom bother to dress well.

Maybe another addition to make there is that, under normal circumstances, some men apparently don't notice how specifically physically attractive nearby men are.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't say its all about compensation for percieved ugliness. I don't get women and children running in fear as I walk down the street, but no modeling agents are calling either. I will say that alot of my interest has to do with the history, craftsmanship and aesthetics of clothing. the more I researched for my classes, the more interested i became. its more of an ongoing educational process.

However, the seersucker looks smashing up here in the drabness of the belltower!

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
And another member's response was

wow.gif

Please visit the company's website for the cold hard truth.

The articles don't discuss facial attractiveness in particular, because services are not surgical. Anyway, no research studies brought to the company's attention indicate significant differences in life outcomes between opposite-sex individuals with lifelong very low facial attractiveness. People like that almost always do badly. Anecdotally, that is one reason why they seldom bother to dress well.

Maybe another addition to make there is that, under normal circumstances, some men apparently don't notice how specifically physically attractive nearby men are.

Pimpin' your company on Style Forum - Priceless

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Pimpin' your company on Style Forum - Priceless

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I can't say its all about compensation for percieved ugliness. I don't get women and children running in fear as I walk down the street, but no modeling agents are calling either. I will say that alot of my interest has to do with the history, craftsmanship and aesthetics of clothing. the more I researched for my classes, the more interested i became. its more of an ongoing educational process.

However, the seersucker looks smashing up here in the drabness of the belltower!

Damn you! LOL!
I was looking for a pic of Lon Cheaney myself, to show his attire in the Phantom of the Opera as an example of compensating for facial unattractiveness
laugh.gif

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As is often the case, this discussion is, in general, the middle-brow versus the high-brow and low-brow. Usually the middle-brow sets, preserves and inforces the rules of attractiveness, style and fashion. Often the low-brow is into streetware, etc and conspicuous consumption. Much of the time the high-brow does or doesn't follow the rules of the middle-brow or low-brow, but selects rules from each at their leasure and pleasure while making up their own rules.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Dude - I'm currently pulling a 7.8 ranking on hotornot.

Who you calling ugly!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thealbatross
I know that this will come to the offense of many here but I will post it nonetheless as I feel the statement has its merits. I have noticed by way or photos posted on the site that it seems the majority of the membership is what would be considered unattractive by normal social standards; I too consider myself to be a part of this group (unattractive that is), so I think it?s fair to voice such an observation. It?s interesting to consider the connection between this and the discussion of style. So a question arises: has your own style developed to compensate or empower your own shortcoming? I think mine has; in the beginning it was unconscious but over time I have become aware of the fact that I dress to somehow conquer certain insecurities, and am curious if other members here are aware of doing the same thing, and if so has it been effective? In my case I don?t think it has as I still spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about these issues.

Would you be so kind as to refer me to your tailor? The man must be a miracle worker: Imagine, being able to fit a suit to a jackass!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
hmm, is it just me, or is the original poster getting a lot of undue flack....his wording wasnt offensive in any way, he just brought up a touchy subject.
bored.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Being good-looking doesn't really matter for men anyway. It's completely unnecessary for a successful career, a full social life, or even success with women. None of my friends who are really successful in any of these areas are particularly good looking. And none of them pays much attention to clothes either. They're just smart, successful, normal, well-balanced people.
I have read that attractive people are more likely to get the job after an interview.

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
What about those of us with Mediterranean ancestry who have been "blessed" with a "unibrow"?

Find someone who can wax your eyebrows without making them look feminine. This can be difficult. Sometimes I get lazy. I hate having a unibrow
frown.gif

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am beautiful (my mom told me so).

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
hmm, is it just me, or is the original poster getting a lot of undue flack....his wording wasnt offensive in any way, he just brought up a touchy subject.
bored.gif

Yea though it was phrased with a little more kindness, his premise boils down to this: I've seen your photos, and most of you are some plug ugly bastards.

Sometimes, you just keep it to yourself.

thealbatross

Reaction score
I apologize to anyone that I offended with my original post but I wanted to be as bluntly honest with the forum as I am with myself. While I understand that attractiveness is subjective I think society has defined it in general terms, although some of the details are certainly a matter of individual taste. As I said I don't consider myself to be attractive and with the same standard applied to the photos I have seen here I have come to a similar conclusion about the majority of the forum.

Not so long ago I made a foray into the whole online personal thing and one of the major complaints by both myself and the women I met was in fact that people didn't look as good as they did in their online photos, so I don't believe this defense although I sincerely would like to. Marc, while I have not been in attendance to any of the forum events, would you say that the people posting their photos for the most part represent those who attend these events? Do you in fact consider yourself attractive? I would be interested in meeting other forum members; perhaps they would have a better opinion of my facial appearance than I do, but I consider myself a realist--maybe this is part of my problem; as acute self-awareness doesn't help one's self-esteem.

Actually, self-awareness seems to be an integral part of the original point that I was trying to make. It seems in my personal experience that those who are insecure and unsure of their own attractiveness seem to compensate as I said, by way of their dress and reinforce this idea in the ensuing discussion of style. Certainly part of the appeal of buying a Kiton suit or a pair of John Lobbs is an apparent confidence boost that such a purchase delivers; even if it's only temporary.

I apologize for this rambling reply but it's been a long day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads