• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Umbrella. The secrets of color matching.

the_sulks

Reaction score

No, plain black Swims overshoes. And most people could care less what shoes your wearing when its raining. They're trying to stay dry.

If you enter some grocery store, office, or else somebody will notice what you wear on your shoes anyway.

the_sulks

Reaction score

I keep it pretty simple: black brolly with suits; navy brolly for anything else. Not a hard and fast rule, but in the absence of thought, that's what I tend to do. There's also a little black collapsible in the car in case I get caught out by the forecast.

They say Rolls-Royces (or Bentley?) are packed with a collapsible brolly when manufactured that is held in the side compartment of the front door.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, plain black Swims overshoes. And most people could care less what shoes your wearing when its raining. They're trying to stay dry.

If you enter some grocery store, office, or else somebody will notice what you wear on your shoes anyway.

I don't care if they notice because it's raining outside, wearing Swims would not be out of the norm. Honestly, most people don't care what other people wear. And people that understand quality, know that I'm protecting an investment. It's not like I wear them all day, only while commuting to and from work. They also provide grip on the subway when the metal and concrete is slick. I dress for myself, not anyone else.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I keep it pretty simple: black brolly with suits; navy brolly for anything else. Not a hard and fast rule, but in the absence of thought, that's what I tend to do. There's also a little black collapsible in the car in case I get caught out by the forecast.

They say Rolls-Royces (or Bentley?) are packed with a collapsible brolly when manufactured that is held in the side compartment of the front door.

They do? I've never seen this, unless it's something relatively new.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They do? I've never seen this, unless it's something relatively new.

RollsRoyceUmbrella.jpg

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
LOL

How low has Rolls Royce fallen, that they actually expect their owners to carry their own umbrellas. Back in the day your chauffeur made sure that nothing as mundane as rainwater could come in contact with your incomparable head.

Then again I once saw a Rolls (possibly a Silver Wraith II, but I can't remember) that had been converted into a pickup truck, complete with a pet goat. The tail flipped down to reveal a pretty complete outdoor kitchen built into what had been the boot.

Last edited:

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way the door opens, the chauffeur can easily access the umbrella and put it back without getting the floorboards of the car wet.

the_sulks

Reaction score

I don't care if they notice because it's raining outside, wearing Swims would not be out of the norm. Honestly, most people don't care what other people wear.

The inconvenience is once the rain is over I have to put Swims and an overcoat to somewhere. There is not enough space for this stuff in my bag.

I'm protecting an investment.

Are you sure in this term? Are you really able to sell your shoes in a year say twice as much to the price you got it?

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care if they notice because it's raining outside, wearing Swims would not be out of the norm. Honestly, most people don't care what other people wear.

The inconvenience is once the rain is over I have to put Swims and an overcoat to somewhere. There is not enough space for this stuff in my bag.

I'm protecting an investment.

Are you sure in this term? Are you really able to sell your shoes in a year say twice as much to the price you got it?

Swims comes with a nice little tote bag that I put in my briefcase. My overcoats are very lite and I have no problem folding them over my arm or wearing them when returning home. I also have a closet in my office to hang my coat when not in use.

The term investment has several meanings, my example refers to return on investment which is the money gained each year after 3 years that I do not have to replace shoes.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently the Germans don't want to be 'outdone' by the British:

umbrella_in_door.jpg

queen-elizabeth.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Maybe that's a cheap at at RR for the whole VW/BMW debacle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads