• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ugly Black-Tie.

Shadowman88

Reaction score
Oh boy.......

I don't know about you, but I have this feeling because you happen to be the son of a VERY famous designer and have more money at your disposal then most of the population of the US that you can wear whatever the hell you want to a Black Tie event. I know that Ralph Lauren is known for buying "vintage" stuff and in his interviews that he admits that there is a certain character in vintage clothing. BUT.....this is a BLACK TIE event. What makes people think they can throw black jeans and Engineer boots with a tired DB tuxedo jacket and call it acceptable? PLEASE help me understand...
I don't see the problem with the three button notch tuxedo. I happen to own a two button notch lapel tuxedo. I will get around to owning a peak lapel as well, but for 50 dollars on eBay and a wedding coming up, I had to jump on it. At the time, I thought the peak lapel was too formal for the event and that a notch would work in more settings than a peak. The investment has paid off very well. I have worn it to several occasions, and have recieved compliments every time I have worn it. I will comment on Valentino's shoes. They look like grosgrain to me and not leather. I thought that patent leather was the norm for formal wear?
Goes to show you that money doesn't always buy good taste....

untilted

Reaction score
C'mon guys, the wealthy and the famous don't have to follow the rules.

I mean, how else do you think patchmadras jackets and lily pants were created? The WASPs who didn't give a **** about the rules.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Are we right and the rest of the world wrong ?

I even once showed the forum pages to a friend ( a hot chick the kind we all want to get )... I showed her some pages and specially the shoe Appreciation pages... Her reaction.. "Oh those shoes are ugly" go figure...

I too find irony that members here can so comfortably criticize the dress of such fashion luminaries. While no doubt many here are very knowledgeable, the fashion snobbery seems almost relentless. Maybe the nonconformist in me is just more accepting of those who break the "rules". Or maybe, since I am not from a fashion conscious city like New York or LA, I've never really been exposed to people who dress really well and am just more accepting of poor fashion. Or maybe I'm just more accepting in general. Or maybe I have more important things on my mind than how others dress. FWIW I find most of the outfits in WAYWN pretty far out there and would probably get ****** kicked, or at least be humiliated half to death, if I tried pulling them off. But then again I take some crap for wearing a pocket square.
blush.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
At least most of the example you have shown are of peak lapels. In Koda's case he is actually quite correctly dressed, only that his dinner clothes fit him surprisingly poorly (coat a bit too long for him and needing a bit more waist suppression). You are right about Ford looking like an overstuffed sausage.

I personally have nothing against the 6x1 coat but it just looks like Lauren is wearing tight black jeans with that rather fully cut coat, resulting in a gross mismatch.

Valentino has successfully managed to do everything possible to make himself look even shorter than he really is. He has chosen to accentuate his lack of height with a coat a tad too long for him, cummerbund creating a strong horizontal line, trousers with an excessive break for his height, three button DJ (!), gorge of only average height - and as the coup de grace a partner much taller than he.

David Lauren is causing himself a similar height problem due to the low button stance of his jacket.

Tom Ford looks the worst of the bunch.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I thought Brad Pitt's ensemble wasn't too bad:

angelinajoliebradpittocrh1.th.jpg

However, he would have been better served with a high wing collar with this one:

0465c179-6b15-4071-89ca-4af97e4dcc2f.h2.jpg

It is a consistent source of annoyance to me that you and I agree about formal wear about 99% of the time.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

David Lauren's outfit is the worst of the bunch.

Only because his daddy wasn't there.
wink.gif

Ralph%20Lauren%20at%20CFDA%20Awards.jpg

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As usual . . . Anna Wintour takes all awards as worst dressed woman in the world. Thank GOD the woman in the second photo, is wearing hosiery.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Ford just keeps getting . . . worse.
091m.jpg

Ed Burns' shoes are eye poppers.
178m.jpg

I believe the above photo, is of Oscar de la Renta's step daughter . . . helps to be rich.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LabelKing, have you considered writing for a gossip column?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
178m.jpg

I believe the above photo, is of Oscar de la Renta's step daughter . . . helps to be rich.

I don't think that dress looks good on her body type. She looks unbalanced with large hips but a tiny top. It would look better on a curvier woman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads