• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how can it seep through such light rain man?

In my experience these leathers are not as waterproof as we might like them to be. Certainly water seeps through my CXL boots pretty easily. I remember some feathers getting ruffled on the old OSB board when I posted that my boots had soaked through a bit after about 20 minutes in light rain, cause claims had been made about how "waterproof" the leather was. But it's just not. (And it's not just OSB -- I have Alden and White's in CXL, and it seems about the same. In your case it looks like the water soaked through right where you'd expect, on the front of toe where water keeps hitting when you walk, even in a light rain. In fact, I'd say they did pretty well for an hour in the rain...

SirKrimzon

Reaction score
In my experience these leathers are not as waterproof as we might like them to be. Certainly water seeps through my CXL boots pretty easily. I remember some feathers getting ruffled on the old OSB board when I posted that my boots had soaked through a bit after about 20 minutes in light rain, cause claims had been made about how "waterproof" the leather was. But it's just not. (And it's not just OSB -- I have Alden and White's in CXL, and it seems about the same. In your case it looks like the water soaked through right where you'd expect, on the front of toe where water keeps hitting when you walk, even in a light rain. In fact, I'd say they did pretty well for an hour in the rain...
Thank you so much for an intelligent reply my friend. So what you saw in my pictures is not uncommon for high quality stitched boots (ie: oak street, alden, truman, viberg) is what you are saying? Also, do you have a link to the post about the oak street boots? I would love to read that. Can I ask how you personally deal with the annoying feeling of water on your toes during a light rain? I know obviously we would shoe tree them at home.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you so much for an intelligent reply my friend. So what you saw in my pictures is not uncommon for high quality stitched boots (ie: oak street, alden, truman, viberg) is what you are saying? Also, do you have a link to the post about the oak street boots? I would love to read that. Can I ask how you personally deal with the annoying feeling of water on your toes during a light rain? I know obviously we would shoe tree them at home.

Yes I think that's pretty standard. The old OSB thread was shut down, and I think no longer available. Mostly I try to keep my boots dry! Sometimes if they get too wet, I will take them off at work and let them dry out a bit.

gambit402

Reaction score
I've worn my OSBs (CXL), Alden's (calf), Trumans (waxed flesh), and Vibergs (chromepak) in light to heavy rain and have never had an issue with water seeping in.

gsgleason

Reaction score

Thinking about getting a pair of Truman derbies with the reltex lactae country soles.  Anyone gotten a pair of with this sole?  Like, no like?   It looks quite thick and squishy. 

I have some with those soles, and I'm not a fan. They're very heavy, for one, and indeed very squishy. I feel a bit unstable, actually, when I wear them.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a pair of Truman derbies with the reltex lactae country soles.  Anyone gotten a pair of with this sole?  Like, no like?   It looks quite thick and squishy. 

I have some with those soles, and I'm not a fan. They're very heavy, for one, and indeed very squishy. I feel a bit unstable, actually, when I wear them.

mine have firmed up some and i posted earlier i felt the studs are way to far towards the middle of the boot..making me feel a bit wobly

gsgleason

Reaction score

mine have firmed up some and i posted earlier i felt the studs are way to far towards the middle of the boot..making me feel a bit wobly

Yes, that's how I feel exactly about the wobbliness.

phidauex

Reaction score

In my experience these leathers are not as waterproof as we might like them to be.  Certainly water seeps through my CXL boots pretty easily.  I remember some feathers getting ruffled on the old OSB board when I posted that my boots had soaked through a bit after about 20 minutes in light rain, cause claims had been made about how "waterproof" the leather was.  But it's just not.  (And it's not just OSB -- I have Alden and White's in CXL, and it seems about the same.  In your case it looks like the water soaked through right where you'd expect, on the front of toe where water keeps hitting when you walk, even in a light rain.  In fact, I'd say they did pretty well for an hour in the rain...

This is one of those areas where practicality and appearance are somewhat at odds. If you want any footwear of this style and construction method to be truly waterproof without a DWR membrane layer then you need to be waxing your boots with something like Obenhaufs or SnoSeal. That is what they are for, and why the exist in this world, and why traditional boot makers like Galibier even use pitch and wax to seal stitching from the factory. These products make the leather duller and show less variation in color that we love, and are overkill for many, which is why they aren't commonly recommended around here.

I'm just honest with myself on each pair of boots - do I want them to develop an instagram patina for nights on the town, or will I actually be walking around in the mud and snow and water with them, and then treat them accordingly. I still love the look of my Obenhauf'd boots, it is just a different look than my "nicer" boots.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member