• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 5 Thrift Store Finds Ever!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Unique!

untitled2.jpg

Aw man, that store is the worst, I've made finds there, but overpriced as hell... and by the way this place is not a charity, its FOR PROFIT and boy do they try.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Aw man, that store is the worst, I've made finds there, but overpriced as hell... and by the way this place is not a charity, its FOR PROFIT and boy do they try.
True... many items there are the same price or more than they would be brand new at a store like Marshall's. I laughed the other day when I saw used Cole Haan shoes with Nike soles for $75! wtf? And used Tommy Hilfiger ties for $14.99? Are people buying this crap? The only thing they have going for them is the sheer volume of stuff they have... Over 99.9% of their inventory is crap but once in a while you can find something... especially if it's a brand the pricers don't recognize, like Castangia or Cantarelli.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
True... many items there are the same price or more than they would be brand new at a store like Marshall's. I laughed the other day when I saw used Cole Haan shoes with Nike soles for $75! wtf? And used Tommy Hilfiger ties for $14.99? Are people buying this crap? The only thing they have going for them is the sheer volume of stuff they have... Over 99.9% of their inventory is crap but once in a while you can find something... especially if it's a brand the pricers don't recognize, like Castangia or Cantarelli.
There was a total POS coat there the other day, it was 70's green and they were asking 85$ for it! Also, if they sell ANYTHING --- ANYTHING North Face lookout.... they had a shell (no liner) of a ski jacket there recently that was 150$. Oh and they had these Born shoes there, driving shoe style, and were asking $50 for them.... WTF?? Anyway, worst thrift store on earth. When I got blasted a while back for ripping off tags, nobody quite understood it was just this store and because it was so awful and overpriced. This place aint a charity.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
There was a total POS coat there the other day, it was 70's green and they were asking 85$ for it!

Also, if they sell ANYTHING --- ANYTHING North Face lookout.... they had a shell (no liner) of a ski jacket there recently that was 150$.

Oh and they had these Born shoes there, driving shoe style, and were asking $50 for them.... WTF??

Anyway, worst thrift store on earth. When I got blasted a while back for ripping off tags, nobody quite understood it was just this store and because it was so awful and overpriced. This place aint a charity.

I go there like once a week looking for a Canada Goose jacket... I bet they have no idea about Canada Goose and will charge the same as an old Sears jacket.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote went to the Lobbs.
For me, the Brioni suits come close second and the wingtips 3rd.
I based my chioces on how much enjoyment/usage I could have gotten out of them myself.
Though I do agree the vicuna coat is under-appreciated, I personally would have nowhere to go in it.

Originally Posted by holymadness
...When there's so much to choose from, brand name becomes meaningless and aesthetics becomes everything.

I agree on the aesthetics point you made.
Choosing eye-pleasing quality over quantity would be prudent.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A close friend of mine is a full time picker and he also works at a high end vintage store where he consigns most of his best finds. He found a vintage Hermes leather tote bag at a garage sale last year for $100 and ended up selling it to Posh Spice (she bought it as a gift for Beckham) for $9800. Of course he only got 60% of the sale price due to the consignment fees.

Hoofit

Reaction score
I am on the list with the Hanovers, but the VICUNA is just sick. Thats where my vote goes.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's a race for third place -- currently a tie between the gold & platinum cufflinks and the Kiton suit... the Lobbs stole the show and the Vicuña (which, I should stress, was most definitely NOT found at Unique thrift shop mentioned above) sits comfortably in second... here's a better pic of the Vicuña:

329494945_o.jpg

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious if the platinum and gold cufflinks were sold on the cheap ( seller not knowing the materials value) because that would just be insane!

But the Vicuna gets my vote.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoe love on this forum is unreasonable at times.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been away from the computer for a few days.

Unique!

untitled2.jpg

Man, you've got a shooping center with a Thai restuarant, a Five Guys AND a thrift store. I might never leave!

Looks like it's a race for third place -- currently a tie between the gold & platinum cufflinks and the Kiton suit... the Lobbs stole the show and the Vicuña (which, I should stress, was most definitely NOT found at Unique thrift shop mentioned above) sits comfortably in second... here's a better pic of the Vicuña:

329494945_o.jpg

I've seen people wearing Lobbs. I've seen people wearing Brioni. I have cordovan shoes of my own. The above picture may be as close as I ever get to seeing someone in a Vicuna coat. It got my vote.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted for the Lobbs. Maybe should have voted for the overcoat, though. I would have voted for one of the bespoke pieces listed, but the odds are they don't fit the "lucky" guy that won them b/c they were, well, made to fit someone else...

ajv

Reaction score
My vote definitely goes to the vicuna coat, rarest item IMO.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Man, you've got a shooping center with a Thai restuarant, a Five Guys AND a thrift store. I might never leave!

Trust me, you'll leave once your sense of outrage at their prices takes hold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads