• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Mahon: An Englishcut in New York

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sator merely points out the nostalgia of A&S is a perhaps a lot of hype when it comes to pattern drafting

JeffreyD, the only one amongst us learned enough in RTW pattern drafting notes perhaps the inaccuracies of Tom's comments on RTW pattern drafting

What better place than an open forum like SF to air out comments about those who are subjectively held in high esteem by some vocal members of this forum, but whose product is perhaps not to some of our liking on an aesthetic or technical level. In the end, look at his final product, if you like it...pay for it...mind you it was a minority style of drafting created to make a larger false chest for short and corpulent men...but now marketed as THE style for men's suits and odd jackets.

Although Steed is thrown into this mosh pit too...but I find his product to be a mixture of Edwin's prior experiences/training with tailors making elegant structured patterns.

With that aside, I commend Tom for hosting such an event and raffle...especially from a man who always reminds us that he is so busy, that he can not take on any new clients

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Sator merely points out the nostalgia of A&S is a perhaps a lot of hype when it comes to pattern drafting JeffreyD, the only one amongst us learned enough in RTW pattern drafting notes perhaps the inaccuracies of Tom's comments on RTW pattern drafting What better place than an open forum like SF to air out comments about those who are subjectively held in high esteem by some vocal members of this forum, but whose product is perhaps not to some of our liking on an aesthetic or technical level. In the end, look at his final product, if you like it...pay for it...mind you it was a minority style of drafting created to make a larger false chest for short and corpulent men...but now marketed as THE style for men's suits and odd jackets. Although Steed is thrown into this mosh pit too...but I find his product to be a mixture of Edwin's prior experiences/training with tailors making elegant structured patterns. With that aside, I commend Tom for hosting such an event and raffle...especially from a man who always reminds us that he is so busy, that he can not take on any new clients
Why are you always so amiable? I mean what kind of lawyer are you? It's really is quite disconcerting...
wink.gif

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish somebody could take the time to start a threak explaining many of the forvm fixations through a psychological account of the connection between liking Drape and wanting to be an internet primadonna.

(I like it well enough, teh Drape, btw. So I guess it's not a biconditional.)

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose you're probably just trying to keep the peace (as opposed to being an apologist), but I think JefferyD and Sator's snarky comments should be called what they are. I know that there is a lot of respect on the forumz for both of these very knowledgeable members, but I don't think that necessarily excuses rudeness. There were perhaps half-a-dozen different ways that they could have stated their opinions that were less aggressive or combative...

What I am surprised about is how seriously some of Tom's comments are taken, and the lengths that some members will go to to use any excuse to attack him and the A&S style. It perhaps reflects more on the posters' personal feelings towards Tom or the A&S style, more than anything else.

Sator: We get it. You hate drape. You think Tom is a clown. You have a whole forum of your own to devote to your ravings and rantings... So why thread-sh** here?

Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Sator merely points out the nostalgia of A&S is a perhaps a lot of hype when it comes to pattern drafting

JeffreyD, the only one amongst us learned enough in RTW pattern drafting notes perhaps the inaccuracies of Tom's comments on RTW pattern drafting

What better place than an open forum like SF to air out comments about those who are subjectively held in high esteem by some vocal members of this forum, but whose product is perhaps not to some of our liking on an aesthetic or technical level. In the end, look at his final product, if you like it...pay for it...mind you it was a minority style of drafting created to make a larger false chest for short and corpulent men...but now marketed as THE style for men's suits and odd jackets.

Although Steed is thrown into this mosh pit too...but I find his product to be a mixture of Edwin's prior experiences/training with tailors making elegant structured patterns.

With that aside, I commend Tom for hosting such an event and raffle...especially from a man who always reminds us that he is so busy, that he can not take on any new clients

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Honestly, I found Tom's comment about RTW patterns interesting. I don't know if it is true but I would like to know. Hearing opposing views is actually helpful.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Honestly, I found Tom's comment about RTW patterns interesting. I don't know if it is true but I would like to know. Hearing opposing views is actually helpful.

How about uninformed views? I have lots of those.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
How about uninformed views? I have lots of those.

Isn't jeffryd in the RTW business?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Isn't jeffryd in the RTW business?

Yes, I am, and I think I was being as polite as was warranted, under the circumstances. One might say that Mahon threw the first punch by ******** on RTW with a laughable assertion.

Patterns are revised and sometimes remade entirely every season, demographic and sizing data is analyzed constantly, and new grade rules are developed to reflect changing morphology within different market segments.

So, no, we most certainly do not use old patterns drafted when people stood differently. Take shots at RTW for the areas in which it fails and I will happily accept them. Just don't make **** up in order to sell your product.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
So, no, we most certainly do not use old patterns drafted when people stood differently. Take shots at RTW for the areas in which it fails and I will happily accept them. Just don't make **** up in order to sell your product.

Word.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed; I don't know enough about the RTW tailoring business to comment either way about Tom's views on RTW, and it would have been enlightening to see some informed discussion about this. How much, for example, is his opinion guided by his experience of the British high street RTW market (which is much more low or mid-market)? How different is the pattern making made for the UK high street compared the higher-end RTW market in the US and on continental Europe, etc.? What I object to is petty vindictive snarkiness. It's irritating and unhelpful.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
Agreed; I don't know enough about the RTW tailoring business to comment either way about Tom's views on RTW, and it would have been enlightening to see some informed discussion about this. How much, for example, is his opinion guided by his experience of the British high street RTW market (which is much more low or mid-market)? How different is the pattern making made for the UK high street compared the higher-end RTW market in the US and on continental Europe, etc.? What I object to is petty vindictive snarkiness. It's irritating and unhelpful.

I agree that Sator is a shrill lunatic, or has become one (he didn't always used to be). That doesn't make him wrong in this instance.

Jeffryd is a lot more reasonable and I believe what he says.

As for what informed or motivated Tom's remark, I don't know. If I had to guess, I would guess that his experience with RTW manufacturing is neither very deep nor up to date.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Yes, I am, and I think I was being as polite as was warranted, under the circumstances. One might say that Mahon threw the first punch by ******** on RTW with a laughable assertion.

Patterns are revised and sometimes remade entirely every season, demographic and sizing data is analyzed constantly, and new grade rules are developed to reflect changing morphology within different market segments.

Most of this is interesting and instructive. I do, however, think you're taking all this much more personally than was intended. Also, given your vested interest in RTW, it's not surprising that you have an opposing view. Just saying.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't take it personally. I have been very open about exposing many of the shortcomings of RTW on this forum and other places. I object to people, on both sides of the divide, confusing consumers with false assertions, whether it be about the ills of RTW or the fabled "floating chest piece".

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...]
As for what informed or motivated Tom's remark, I don't know. If I had to guess, I would guess that his experience with RTW manufacturing is neither very deep nor up to date.

Didn't he 'consult' on some line of school uniforms? He must have had some exposure to RTW manufacturing then. Maybe his comment was based on what he saw there.
As with anything else, making a very general statement is bound to draw some flak.
Anyway, I'd take JefferyD's comments on RTW patterns over Mahon's any day.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
I wish somebody could take the time to start a threak explaining many of the forvm fixations through a psychological account of the connection between liking Drape and wanting to be an internet primadonna.

(I like it well enough, teh Drape, btw. So I guess it's not a biconditional.)

My card,

Mel Johnson

Internet Sartorial Psychotherapist

We use a sophisticated, modern approach of looking at your WAYWRN shots and then compile information of your family of origin history to accurately diagnose your propensity to drape, unpadded shoulders and even 2" cuffs. We only diagnose issues and bring the facts into the "light", we can't "fix" you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads