• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To late for a second pair of trousers?

JClay

Reaction score
Hello, new here. I have a very small collection of very nice bespoke suits, 5 in total. I’ve owned them all for about 4 months and have worn each one 3-6 times to include dry cleaning once (stupid I know, but at least they’re top notch cleaners).

My question is if it’s to late get a second pair of trousers or if I should be good by taking them to the cleaners once and then wearing them each the same amount of times.

what makes this decision difficult is my tailor is in my hometown and I’m only there to visit family 1-2 times a year so I cannot compare fresh cloth to the ones that dawn my suits.

I did a video call with my tailor on his advice and he recommended to just save the money since they’re very high quality and I only wear them about once a month each.

That being said, I love my suits and I would hate to rip a pair of trousers or eventually wear them out if I decide to sport them more often like 2-3 times each month per suit

I know 3 of the 5 are Super 150s cloth from Vitale Barberis Canonico. The other 2 I’m not sure as I didn’t pay attention to the name or label of the sample, but they are at least the about the same price since the suits came in roughly around 600-700 dollars more because they’re 3 piece suits

So basically I’m at 2 options, get more Trousers or double down on the # of the suits….lol

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
You don't need to have your suits cleaned that often.

Pants getting torn or something is a real risk, it's up to you if you want to pay more to cover that risk or not. I generally don't, your tailor has advised you not to, but some guys do, and there's nothing wrong with that. Pants could also be repaired, but they'll probably need some of the original fabric.

We can't tell you if it's too late. The tailor who made them should know what fabric was used and whether he has more in stock. If you don't want to get more now, it might be a good idea to ask for specific fabric names / codes so that you could replace them in the future i it becomes necessary.

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when even OTR suits came with two pair of trousers, like at Brooks Bros in NYC. My tailor here in Rome still makes me two pair when I commission a suit--not so often these days as I mostly buy odd jackets, I have little need for suits. The upcharge is not huge, maybe another few hundred euros on a 3k euro suit. Honestly I'm not even sure if he charges me more since I'm a regular customer for years and I don't peruse the bill with a magnifying glass unless it's way beyond the norm which it never is. At least here, the trousers are outsourced to someone else anyway, and once they have your pattern it's easy.

My advice is to get an extra pair if you can afford it and your tailor is willing. Jackets will always last longer than trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads