• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on STEALTH WEALTH?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally could care less about the brands involved in, say, a WAYWT post. I like it when people post them so if there's a piece I particularly like I know where to find it, but knowing that it's a Dior sweater vs. a Gap one doesn't really do anything for me unless Dior happens to make a far superior sweater in terms of fit and quality (which admittedly is often the case). But it certainly doesn't make me think any more of the outfit or that person's style.

I think the SF-approved brands that get a lot of love around here (EG, BoO, etc.) are great because you have a better chance of getting an excellent fit, quality construction and fabrics, and interesting details than you would rooting through the Gap or Zara for an hour looking for the same thing at a much lower price, or taking another cheaper item in for $30 of alterations. Though I admit I probably don't have the same eye for distinguishing details among these brands that many do here, when I see "Jil Sander/EG/45RPMs/CP" it doesn't enhance my appreciation of the same outift vs. "Gap/H&M/5EP/Vans", save for the fact that the items in the first outift may last longer, and very may well look more polished in person (it can be tough to pick that stuff up over the internet).

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
hey it's sunday afternoon, I'm doing some work at home (instead of out shopping for stealth wealth)....join in on the circle jerk but don't kill my buzz!!
Ok, I don't really see much that's new about it. We've had conspicuous consumption for some time, but now that we have relatively democratic access to information thanks to technology, class striation has broken down at an aesthetic level (admittedly, that's about the only place). Solution? Inconspicuous consumption: black macbooks, $200 Earnest Sewns, etc. What I find obnoxious is everyone trying to pretend that it has some kind of aesthetic or intellectual legitimacy, or worse that there's something inherently noble about it. It's crass and silly. But I guess I should be careful about voicing that opinion on a forum full of people for whom respect comes from how much money you can manage to wear every morning. (Just to be clear, Jason, this isn't a shot at you or Paul personally.)

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Ok, I don't really see much that's new about it. We've had conspicuous consumption for some time, but now that we have relatively democratic access to information thanks to technology, class striation has broken down at an aesthetic level (admittedly, that's about the only place). Solution? Inconspicuous consumption: black macbooks, $200 Earnest Sewns, etc. What I find obnoxious is everyone trying to pretend that it has some kind of aesthetic or intellectual legitimacy, or worse that there's something inherently noble about it. It's crass and silly. But I guess I should be careful about voicing that opinion on a forum full of people for whom respect comes from how much money you can manage to wear every morning.

(Just to be clear, Jason, this isn't a shot at you or Paul personally.)

solid1.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
But I guess I should be careful about voicing that opinion on a forum full of people for whom respect comes from how much money you can manage to wear every morning.

none taken.

Where did you get the feeling that "respect comes from how much money one manages to wear each morning"?

There have been plenty of disses on stuff that is obviously $$$, as well as tons of love for items from H&M etc.

I think the respect comes from what looks like well chosen fits, regardless of what store it came from.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
none taken.

Where did you get the feeling that "respect comes from how much money one manages to wear each morning"?

There have been plenty of disses on stuff that is obviously $$$, as well as tons of love for items from H&M etc.

I think the respect comes from what looks like well chosen fits, regardless of what store it came from.

Perhaps because regardless the "tons of love for items from H&M", people still go for all that expensive crap that might not necessarily be any better in terms of fit and quality.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I like wearing shoes that cost as much as some people's cars.

A part of me also loves the politically incorrect ostentation of endangered animals and large amounts of jewelry.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Ok, I don't really see much that's new about it. We've had conspicuous consumption for some time, but now that we have relatively democratic access to information thanks to technology, class striation has broken down at an aesthetic level (admittedly, that's about the only place). Solution? Inconspicuous consumption: black macbooks, $200 Earnest Sewns, etc. What I find obnoxious is everyone trying to pretend that it has some kind of aesthetic or intellectual legitimacy, or worse that there's something inherently noble about it. It's crass and silly. But I guess I should be careful about voicing that opinion on a forum full of people for whom respect comes from how much money you can manage to wear every morning.

I agree that the purposeful pursuit of "stealth wealth" is crass and silly. It's also a bit desperate and pathetic, because for someone who's dressing that way in an attempt to impress "the select few" who are going to recognize the pieces, it reeks of "I hope now the other cool kids will like me".

I'm more careful about applying that to the forum at large. It obviously applies to some people here, but there are also plenty of posters whose appreciation for some of the more expensive "stealth wealth" brands (or individual pieces from the brands) seems to be rooted in genuine aesthetic enjoyment. Take Jason, since he started the thread--if he sees something he likes at Target, he'll start a thread giving everyone the heads up, and has no problem pairing it with BoO or his Paul Smith shoes.

Saltwater Wrangler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Stealth wealth is definitely an interesting subject. The kind of topic that makes me want to fling half-baked, poorly organized and worded theories at strangers over the internet.

I think it's very elitist, in part because of the exorbitant cost of the clothing and even more so because most of the people who can afford the pieces don't have the good taste necessary to dress well.

I see it as a way of showing off by people who both need to feed their ego and are disgusted by blatant displays of wealth.

It's a way to be part of a very small group of people who believe that they have the most refined tastes (generally not without reason) and participate in a kind of fashion circle jerk.

In a way it's pretty ridiculous, but when you think about it, all hobbies are to a certain degree. Hobbies are about finding obsessive ways to spend your extra money on unnecessary ****.

+1
I laughed out loud when I read that part. It is true though that clothes for many people can be related to a hobby. It really is just all about how you justify it. There are many things I still look for deals on, and yet others that I'll be willing to shell out a little more money for. Why? Not sure, but I can justify it to myself somehow. Just remember, money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a big enough yacht to pull up next to it.
teacha.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I don't know why some hate on others who spend $$$ on clothes. I certainly don't have the spending power of most, but i still love the looks of some users who spend a ton. I mean, some sufu users will have outfits that cost near $10000 but it looks fantastic so i can't hate on it. In the same way, i loved last fall when Cheep was trying to be creative with his thrift stores looks.

A lot of pieces have unique details/fit/quality/aesthetic that cheaper items can't match. As a college student, i try to buy cheap when i can, but not having access to an h&m or uniqlo limits what i can do somewhat. I try to look for deals, sales and similar items by cheaper brands whenever i can though. I don't see a problem with spending a bit more to get something such as Common Projects than a pair of Jack Purcells which aren't quite the same. Sure, they're both white sneakers, but there are details, leather, shape and silhouette that some may want bad enough to spend extra on (by the way, if you use discount codes on online stores you can get CPs for about $210 i think).

I've had people tell me they like my style before and others compliment certain items either for interesting details or for fit. Most people probably don't think anything about it though and that's fine. I probably dress more conservatively and boring than i potentially could, but i really dislike extra attention, even positive. If i move to a different city in the next year or so, i'm sure that would change though.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
When I think of stealth wealth, I think of people paying ungodly amounts of money to find clothes that resemble easily found items of a much cheaper price.

In the context of Rye GB the item in question was a generic looking sweatshirt covered in holes. He paid $1600 but it resembled something we could all go out and find at Wal-Mart for $4.

I think a bunch of the posters in this thread have a different idea of the definition of stealth wealth, however.

I suspect that most of the people contributing opinions about how you can't distinguish Jil Sander from J. Crew, for instance, haven't seen the difference in person. I also wonder if this is a metropolitan vs. midsize city/suburb/rural debate.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
A lot of pieces have unique details/fit/quality/aesthetic that cheaper items can't match.
True, but certain prices, like 10,000 or even a lot less is never justifiable based on those elements. Never. Anyone who thinks they got a good deal on a 300 dollar dior homme sweater is a fool

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Why are they "fools"? Because they could have gotten a sweater of poorer quality, fit and general aesthetic at jcrew for $150? People need to lighten up. I hope the people spending $1200 on a pair of carpe diem boots aren't doing so in a way that they are crippled financially because of it.

I wonder how comments about how people should do more shopping at walmart/target/h&m/j crew/gap would go instead of higher end clothes would go over on the MC forum where watches, suits and shoes look subtly different but costs worlds more.

I would also agree with Gaius Trimalchio above in that people on this forum seem to be able to recognize the difference in $30 levis stf and $250 KMWs or $50 dress shoes or $200 dress shoes but when it comes to something like sweaters, button down shirts, tshirts or something less "staples" they prefer to scrimp. Not that there is a problem in reserving your expensive purchases for items such as jackets, jeans and shoes, but reasoning for some seems to be a bit inconsistent. I for one can see a big difference between a kid in a dark wash pair of mall jeans (gap or levis usually) and my PBJs. If there were a pair of jeans that were completely identical to a more expensive pair in every aspect (quality, fit, denim, details) except the name brand, i'd go for the cheaper ones.

itskub

Reaction score
i havent read through the thread yet, and i realize its not an exact response to the original post, rather just a observation / opinion;

My initial thoughts (upon entering Barney's for the first time a few weeks ago) about the whole street wear aesthetic- whether its stealth wealth, target, thrift, etc. is that streetwear is a style just like any other; though it's not as clearly defined (as say cowboy, thug, punk) it is still a style. It's a juxtaposition of trends (graphic t-shirts, hoodies, striped shirts, etc) and mainstays (converse, leather jackets, levi's)
In comparison to music- streetwear is like Pop, it is a genre , though an amalgamation of other genres.
I think we will see a day when this style fades, just like how we look back styles of previous centuries. hmm...

after thinking about that, i guess its pretty damn obvious that what we wear now wont be worn 50-100 years from now.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Solution? Inconspicuous consumption: black macbooks, $200 Earnest Sewns, etc. What I find obnoxious is everyone trying to pretend that it has some kind of aesthetic or intellectual legitimacy, or worse that there's something inherently noble about it. It's crass and silly.

Poor examples. Expensive, pedestrian jeans haven't been inconspicuous for years or, for that matter, ever. Black Macbooks, to most Mac users, might as well have the inflated price tag stuck on the top: everybody knows they cost more.

I guess I would be the guy who pretends that buying American-made Earnest Sewns is more intellectually legitimate and noble than buying made-in-XXX goods that indirectly or directly fund oppressive gov'ts. I suppose I'm crass and silly for doing my infinitesimally small part in supporting the regrowth of 1st world production.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads