• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne-like suits (on a budget) in Manhattan

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The other alternative is to go to a *good* vintage store that focuses on 50s/60s gear and get a vintage suit. That's what I'd done in years past to get that "thom browne" look before there was a Thom Browne. In So Cal there's one store that sells quite a few deadstock late 50s/early 60s suits for about $150 that could easily be tailored into a TB for another $50

*altho it takes a decent eye to go the vintage route if you're not crystal clear on what you're look at/for

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
The other alternative is to go to a *good* vintage store that focuses on 50s/60s gear and get a vintage suit. That's what I'd done in years past to get that "thom browne" look before there was a Thom Browne. In So Cal there's one store that sells quite a few deadstock late 50s/early 60s suits for about $150 that could easily be tailored into a TB for another $50

*altho it takes a decent eye to go the vintage route if you're not crystal clear on what you're look at/for

Seconded. If you're only spending $500 on a suit, a vintage will be better quality than getting H&M / Zara.

brgale

Reaction score
Okay, so maybe Thom Browne doesn't do black. I'm a suit novice. I didn't mean to contradict myself, I guess I was just having trouble describing what it is I'm looking for. However, I do like the pics I've seen of Thom Browne suits, and I suppose I'm looking for a similar cut and fit, but in black.

So, I hear the Vintage shop suggestions. Does anybody know of a specific good vintage shop in Manhattan? There seems to be a lot of New Yorkers on the board.

And, I've tried Monaco and Armani Exchange with no results. And the Ralph Lauren suits I've seen have been more than double what I want to spend. H&M is hit or miss, I'll try it again.

I will check out the Sacque suit, so thanks for the tip on that.

There's a lot of knowledge on this board, thanks for sharing.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thom browne does make black suits i actually tried one on in bergdorfs yesterday.

brgale

Reaction score
So I found precisely what I was looking for today at Zara. Unfortunately, it wasn't for sale. The salesmen working there were wearing it, and said that they no longer sold that exact suit, even though the salespeople use it as a uniform. I felt a little silly trying to buy their uniform, but it looked pretty good.

H&M had some similar things, but their suits seem pretty low quality. Like, they'll come apart at the seems low.

Nothing at Bloomingdales.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
One more correction, not all Sacque Suits are peak lapel. In fact, every picture I've seen of them features notch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads