• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Mendoza Line separating a bad bar from a decent one is the ability to make an Aviation/Last Word. These are relatively uncommon requests, but not so obscure that a good bartender does not know them off the top of his or her head. If the bartender gives you a puzzled look, get up and leave and don't go back.

to me the mendoza line is an old fashioned. if i get some abomination that's mostly soda water and a ton of muddled fruit i order a beer next or something neat.

also i didnt realize it but apparently straight up and neat are different things. and straight up can sometimes mean neat, but up always means straight up.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need to try a good martini. It's not a drink I've ever really explored, partially because the liquors in one never appealed to me and partially because I've heard they can be so hard to get done well, but it's something I really ought to give a shot.

to me the mendoza line is an old fashioned. if i get some abomination that's mostly soda water and a ton of muddled fruit i order a beer next or something neat.

also i didnt realize it but apparently straight up and neat are different things. and straight up can sometimes mean neat, but up always means straight up.

"Neat" is completely unadulterated, right? At least that's what it means in other contexts. So "straight up" could ostensibly have something done that doesn't change the liquor's composition but still changes the drink (like chilling).

Is that correct?

I always just order "neat," since it's universally understood to mean, "place booze into glass and bring to me."

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I need to try a good martini. It's not a drink I've ever really explored, partially because the liquors in one never appealed to me and partially because I've heard they can be so hard to get done well, but it's something I really ought to give a shot.

I'm not a martini fan. It tastes a bit harsh to me. In my experience, adding a dash or two of orange bitters makes it much more drinkable.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^seriously if you think the martini is too harsh up the vermouth content. can actually be quite good. also stir longer because the dilution and cold will temper the alcohol

"Neat" is completely unadulterated, right? At least that's what it means in other contexts. So "straight up" could ostensibly have something done that doesn't change the liquor's composition but still changes the drink (like chilling).

Is that correct?

I always just order "neat," since it's universally understood to mean, "place booze into glass and bring to me."

yeah. neat means nothing done to it. up means stirred with ice then strained. straight up can mean neat or up depending on the person. on the rocks means poured over ice. but there's a rocks glass so sometimes people say on the rocks and they get it in a rocks glass.

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I could be wrong, but I think it is the amount you receive that makes them different.

The internets seem to agree with me: "Neat" is just booze in a glass at room temperature. It gets more muddled when you start talking about "straight," "up," and "straight-up," but at least a couple of those terms (can) mean chilled and strained.

Edit: Looks like indesertum beat me to it.

I'm not a martini fan. It tastes a bit harsh to me. In my experience, adding a dash or two of orange bitters makes it much more drinkable.

The harshness is what put me off them years ago, but I wonder if my palate has changed enough to deal with it as I've gotten older and acquired a taste for undiluted booze.

Only one way to find out! :cheers:

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Neat is just in a glass no alteration

Up or straight up - means it has been shaken or stirred and placed in a glass with no ice. No difference between them.

Down - shaken or stirred with the ice included with the booze.

A negroni is an example of a cocktail that people will ask if you want it up or down.

If you order a shot I would just use the terms neat or chilled. There isn't any ambiguity when you use those words.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Go in steps. Get a really nice, floral, easy gin like Citadelle and get a top shelf vermouth (I'm using Noilly Pratt these days). Try my recipe of 3 oz gin, 1 oz vermouth, and 1 soupspoon size addition of olive brine and a dash of a good (not Reagan's, it sucks!) orange bitter. Just one dash.

Or do the above with a vodka of choice (I like Tito's, or when I'm out as no one seems to carry that, Ketel).

An old fashioned is something even good bartenders will **** up. No one wants to make such a simple drink and most everyone wants to muddle fruit and add soda water.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Old fashioneds are gross. Who are you, early seasons Don Draper? Mint julep's also suck and taste like Band-Aids.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I always just get a vermouth rinse. Like Churchill said, "I like to pour a glass full of gin and then observe the vermouth from across the room while I enjoy my martini."

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^dude try it with more vermouth. you might like it

Old fashioneds are gross. Who are you, early seasons Don Draper? Mint julep's also suck and taste like Band-Aids.

dude if you have a favorite bourbon or rye whiskey you owe it to yourself to make a good old fashioned with it. its a pain ********** to make if you use a sugar cube or granulated sugar because you have to muddle it until there are no more granules, but otoh you can control the dilution better.

this version by chris mcmillan is great

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

he has interesting take where he muddles the peel instead of just squeezing it over the drink. he also gives you a swizzle stick so you can control the dilution yourself

his video on the mint julep is so entertaining

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

i love how he uses a hammer to pulverize the ice. like who does that? and what bars still have a julep cup? to me a mint julep is more akin to an old fashioned except you muddle mint instead of sugar. too many bars just give you a mojito with bourbon instead of tequila (with soda water or worse, soda in it)

old fashioned is probably my most favorite cocktail. add some lemon juice and you have a whiskey sour.

Neat is just in a glass no alteration

Up or straight up - means it has been shaken or stirred and placed in a glass with no ice. No difference between them.

Down - shaken or stirred with the ice included with the booze.

A negroni is an example of a cocktail that people will ask if you want it up or down.

If you order a shot I would just use the terms neat or chilled. There isn't any ambiguity when you use those words.

never heard of down. so would you say stirred down if you wanted it stirred, strained, and poured over ice?

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A few things, indesertum.

1) I don't know if he mentions it in the video, but the ice bag is a Lewis bag. They're awesome (I've used one and keep meaning to buy one).

II) I own a pewter julep cup. It's also awesome.

C) I agree that ordering a mint julep in a bar is a risky proposition, but mojitos are white rum, not tequila. They are also awesome when done well.

Also, mint juleps are woooonderful. The Yankee above has no idea what he's talking about.

Go in steps. Get a really nice, floral, easy gin like Citadelle and get a top shelf vermouth (I'm using Noilly Pratt these days). Try my recipe of 3 oz gin, 1 oz vermouth, and 1 soupspoon size addition of olive brine and a dash of a good (not Reagan's, it sucks!) orange bitter. Just one dash.

Or do the above with a vodka of choice (I like Tito's, or when I'm out as no one seems to carry that, Ketel).
An old fashioned is something even good bartenders will **** up. No one wants to make such a simple drink and most everyone wants to muddle fruit and add soda water.

Thanks for the advice. I would have no idea where to start, so this is a good guide.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A few things, indesertum.

1) I don't know if he mentions it in the video, but the ice bag is a Lewis bag. They're awesome (I've used one and keep meaning to buy one).

II) I own a pewter julep cup. It's also awesome.

C) Mojitos are white rum, not tequila. They are also awesome when done well.

Also, mint juleps are woooonderful. The Yankee above has no idea what he's talking about.
Thanks for the advice. I would have no idea where to start, so this is a good guide.

lol i was thinking of a margarita. i is noob

i've been wanting to try dolin white on rec of huntsman, but noilly pratt is the go to for me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads