• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's something I don't get: People who get all teary and sentimental when celebrities or royalty die. So what? Everybody dies. I am more saddened by the the thought of a street kid in India dying than the death of Whitney Houston. At least WH had a chance.

Another thing: Euphemisms used for death: passed, passed on, went to a better place, etc. Don't be a ***** about death.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here's something I don't get: People who get all teary and sentimental when celebrities or royalty die. So what? Everybody dies. I am more saddened by the the thought of a street kid in India dying than the death of Whitney Houston. At least WH had a chance.
Another thing: Euphemisms used for death: passed, passed on, went to a better place, etc. Don't be a ***** about death.

People have a false sense that they "knew" celebrities because they listened to their music, watched E! specials about their lives, and read poorly written but easily accessible articles about them in People magazine.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

People have a false sense that they "knew" celebrities

That is really true. I work with a TV celebrity (her show was on for 10 years). She has amazing stories about all kinds of people that she meets who feel they know her like a friend because she was on TV in their home for so many years. I think women especially fall into that.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Airplane seatbelts.

They only hold your waist back, so if the plane is experiencing serious turbulence, I'm still just as likely going to smash my head into the seat in front of me.

Also, the whole "Please turn off your electronics" BS for airplanes. We all know my Kindle with e-ink is not going to interfere with the airplane and cause it to crash; nor is my phone.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
People have a false sense that they "knew" celebrities

That is really true. I work with a TV celebrity (her show was on for 10 years). She has amazing stories about all kinds of people that she meets who feel they know her like a friend because she was on TV in their home for so many years. I think women especially fall into that.

Neil Peart (of Rush) really is embarrassed by this phenomena. As the line from the song he wrote about fame says, "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend."

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

People have a false sense that they "knew" celebrities because they listened to their music, watched E! specials about their lives, and read poorly written but easily accessible articles about them in People magazine.

Artists and celebrities are part of people lives and their success is due to that particular relationship between them and their fans..

There is a line in the sand between mirage and reality and some people visions on both sides have thei visions blurred by fame.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

seems intentionally ambiguous, I didn't really know who he was until someone said something about me reminding them of him, and they said he was very "out gay" which I thought was weird because the guy speaking wasn't from barry, wales and over the age of 50, and because I kinda assumed the guy was gay himself. I dunno. I don't think I care anymore, but I may just be tired and excited about dinner.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

seems intentionally ambiguous, I didn't really know who he was until someone said something about me reminding them of him, and they said he was very "out gay" which I thought was weird because the guy speaking wasn't from barry, wales and over the age of 50, and because I kinda assumed the guy was gay himself. I dunno. I don't think I care anymore, but I may just be tired and excited about dinner.

you said you had to look two of them up? who was the other? btw.. I think Tosh is pretty funny but maybe that says more about the screw loose in my brain more than anything else! :lol:

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you said you had to look two of them up? who was the other? btw.. I think Tosh is pretty funny but maybe that says more about the screw loose in my brain more than anything else!
lol8[1].gif

Gosling, no idea who he was. I'd seen him in commercials but I don't watch much tv and never have money to go to the movies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ryan Gosling is like the new Ryan Reynolds - same sort of look on their faces, both Canadian and all women want to lick their abs.

and no ****.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nine times out of ten, when I mean "syrup" I say "shampoo." That only happens in my internal monologue; I've never made the mistake when talking out loud. I don't get why I do that. (I'll admit that I really do hate the word "syrup," especially when it is pronounced "see-rup." But I also strongly dislike the word "shampoo." Why do I hate those words? I don't get that either.)

Last edited:

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nine times out of ten, when I mean "syrup" I say "shampoo." That only happens in my internal monologue; I've never made the mistake when talking out loud. I don't get why I do that. (I'll admit that I really do hate the word "syrup," especially when it is pronounced "see-rup." But I also strongly dislike the word "shampoo." Why do I hate those words? I don't get that either.)

I think this may be a hidden sexual fantasy, but I'm not willing to explore it further than that...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads