• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
At least the Ring is originally a Japanese film (not sure about the Departed). Shall We Dance is another example.

They remade Hairspray. What? It's already a movie. Are the fans of the Broadway show not able to go rent it?

On a related note: movies adapted from books where they change the story: The Natural is the most egregious example I can think of. I refuse to watch it.

b

That's what I'm saying. I don't like the fact that Ringu was remade. The Departed is a remake of Infernal Affairs, by the way. Of course, The Departed, unlike The Ring (remake) is actually quite good - but then it's practically a shot for shot remake albeit not set in Hong Kong and with acting that whilst good not as great as in the original.

Agreed on novel adaptations. I admire attempts though, especially of difficult works such as The English Patient.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
That's what I'm saying. I don't like the fact that Ringu was remade.

Oh, I forgot to make my point. I find it less disturbing when the film is foreign to me because I probably haven't even heard of it prior to the Americanized remake. (Though, now that I say that I realize Shall We Dance is the exception.)

b

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
My uncle just died and my mother is upset that I won't come out for the funeral. I've just been gone for 10 days, I start a new job on Monday and I haven't seen his man but maybe 2x in the past 15 years.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The IRS and the Tresor Public. Combined. There, I said it. I didn't when they came the first time, but when they come back for more...
cloud.gif

baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
censored.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
The IRS and the Tresor Public. Combined. There, I said it. I didn't when they came the first time, but when they come back for more...
cloud.gif

baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
censored.gif

You're being audited? They must know you're crooked because of your profession.
bounce2.gif

(ok, ok, that really sucks)

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******* boss doen't sync his blackberry ever. Uses BIS. So in the last year none of the contacts have been synced. He doesn't mention this. Blackberry screws up and has to be wiped.

I am supposed to be a mind reader and know this.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
My uncle just died and my mother is upset that I won't come out for the funeral. I've just been gone for 10 days, I start a new job on Monday and I haven't seen his man but maybe 2x in the past 15 years.

ME mum got pissed about something like this--- was like yeah sorry. moved on.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think in this case, it's more about what your uncle meant to your mother, and how she probably would like as much support/comfort from her family as she can get. I'm sure you'll think of something.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
At least the Ring is originally a Japanese film (not sure about the Departed). Shall We Dance is another example.

They remade Hairspray. What? It's already a movie. Are the fans of the Broadway show not able to go rent it?

On a related note: movies adapted from books where they change the story: The Natural is the most egregious example I can think of. I refuse to watch it.

b

On a side note, having to undergo 2 hours of ABBA music, Pierce Brosnan's singing, and a sorry ass weak storyline of a movie. Why did I let myself watch Mama Mia?!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You do it for your mom. It doesn't matter if you've never seen the guy.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
You do it for your mom. It doesn't matter if you've never seen the guy.

have to say plus 1. believe me, I know where you are coming from, but I have changed my perspective about when I hit 30 or so. sorry, and there is another point - you can't make it up, if you don't go, you can't go back later.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
The Departed is a remake of Infernal Affairs, by the way. Of course, The Departed, unlike The Ring (remake) is actually quite good - but then it's practically a shot for shot remake albeit not set in Hong Kong and with acting that whilst good not as great as in the original.
A "Hollywood" ending was tacked on to The Departed, for the worse in my opinion. The leads are far superior in Infernal Affairs, particularly Andy Lau.

totally epic

Reaction score
Ew. A pidgeon just landed on my window sill. I would've mauled it with my carbon fiber tripod had it flown inside my bedroom.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
A "Hollywood" ending was tacked on to The Departed, for the worse in my opinion. The leads are far superior in Infernal Affairs, particularly Andy Lau.

To be honest I never saw The Departed, didn't see the point as I've seen all three Infernal Affairs films. What a pity, I'd ask what the ending in The Departed was but that might be a spoiler.

Other remakes that **** me off include The Wicker Man and The Italian Job. But what ***** me off the most is that people pay to see these, it's practically sacrilegious in my opinion. Why can't they do a big cinema re-release of the originals, it's not like there's much for them to compete with half the time.

Infernal Affairs had far more big stars in my opinion, it was amazing to see all those big names in a single film. Love Lau and Leung (who was brilliant in In The Mood for Love too). A remake can't really compete.

What's pissing me off right now - the buttons keep coming undone on my Diesel military styled short sleeved shirt, now that's ******* me off. Not the shirt's fault, I should really lose some weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads