• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eyealt

Reaction score
Driving clothes: EG, AXS, Anachronorm
What we drove: Dino, Ghia, 911S

Hope you also had a fun Thanksgiving.

PS: I want to become @DLester
Oof, those all look immaculate. That Dino and 911 wear black beautifully. How would you compare the driving experience between the two? I'd assume they're different animal, no?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cool and blustery Sunday:

Kapital Treehouse scarf
Kapital Thundebird Coverall
Kapital hooded shirt
Kapital Cisco Jeans
Red Wing

dude. Kapital stuff looks great on you.

duuuude. coolest cars ever along with that DS Citroen.

mbaum

Reaction score
Oof, those all look immaculate. That Dino and 911 wear black beautifully. How would you compare the driving experience between the two? I'd assume they're different animal, no?
The Dino is actually dark blue which looks stunning on it. The Dino and Ghia are cars of two of my friends, the 911S soft-window is my car.

Surprisingly, the driving dynamics between the Dino and early 911 are quite comparable in my mind and they have equal performance. Though the Dino was more than double as expensive as the 911 back then (And now is also roughly double as valuable as a 911S).

From an aesthetic perspective, there are few cars that top both. The 911 is such a classic design and simply perfect, especially in the pure early shape. However, Fioravanti's lines for the Dino are so amazingly well proportioned for a mid-engined car and so sensual that it rightfully is considered one of the most beautiful cars ever created.

In the Dino, you sit lower and in a typical Italian driving position with short legs/ long arms. Seats are supportive but not much to move around. Instruments are beautiful Veglia units, set in an aluminum surround. Inside, the Dino is more drama than the Porsche: More fussy details, more materials, more instruments (8 to the Porsche's 5 VDO instrument) including aluminum and, of course, that gated shift lever. They 911 is typical teutonic, austere, lots of black, very precise. Everything spells German precision and us Porsche guys spend hours every day just opening and closing our doors to hear that very typical and solid Porsche "thunk" of the door closing. My car does not have the sports seats (Which are extreme supportive) but those seats are still very comfortabe - I think better than the Dino. Driving position is more adjustable and precise than the Dino.

Handling for both cars is direct and precise: Both have very direct steering (The Dino feels a tad weird due to a very weirdly angled steering wheel) and they go where you point them to. Given the mid-engine layout and being lower to the ground, the Dino has a tad more of a go-kart feel. It also "feels" more planted in corners. The 911 rear-engine layout can cause the car to feel very unnerving if you go a tad too fast around a tight corner. At the limit, the rear breaks out and early 911s are infamous of their diabolical snap over-steer behavior. However, once you know how to drive a 911 when that happens - You keep your foot on the accelerator and never, ever lift - it is the more planted car in the twisties.

The Dino feels heavy at low speeds due to heavy steering and a heavier clutch compared to the 911. At speed, both are simply a joy. The front end of the 911 can feel light when going very fast (A disconcerting feel). The shifter on the early 911 gearboxes are vague and sometimes you are not sure what gear you select. The Dino's gated shifter needs a bit practice to get used to. Both are 5 speed with a dog-leg first, which I love. In typical Italian fashion, the Dino gearbox needs to warm before yo can shift into second gear, the Porsche is ready to go right away.

By no means are those fast cars by today standards and your Mom's Camry will out-accelerate them (Dino has ~195hp, this 911S has 170hp, later models went to 190hp). Both cars do 0 - 60 in around 8/ 8.5 seconds. Fast then, not now. But the driving sensation is pure analogue, completely involved and - to some - spiritual. The sound of those engines does not get better for both and both of them have iconic status in the car world - not at least for the sounds they are making: Porsche's boxer layout and high redline (7200rpm) provides a teutonic cacophony of engineering delight. Ferrari's quad-cam V6 layout goes even higher to 7600rpm and sounds like a mechanical orgasm. I am a partial Porsche guy, but few engines sound better than the Dino.

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hope you also had a fun Thanksgiving.

PS: I want to become @DLester

Cool clothes. The Citroen's cooler than those beasts though ;)

dude. Kapital stuff looks great on you. 

looks great :nodding:

@ManofKent
 - Kapital stuff looks great.

Cheers folks. I seem to have bought a fair bit of it of late :embar: It's a shame some of their pieces just aren't available in my size though :(

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Raf // Lim // Rick // Rafdidas
I love that sweater. I passed it up in white because I wanted a blue one, but I haven't found one yet. Is yours angora blend or wool?

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

the kidcrash

Reaction score
Cool clothes. The Citroen's cooler than those beasts though
wink.gif

Cheers folks. I seem to have bought a fair bit of it of late
shog[1].gif
It's a shame some of their pieces just aren't available in my size though
frown.gif
What size are you? I've seen loads of Kapital and Blue Blue at Komehyo recently. Will give a shout if I see anything in your size

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@ManofKent - Kapital stuff looks great. Spent Thanksgiving up in Lake Arrowhead:
EGx3 / Yuketen
I was just down the road in Crestline. It was nice to get a little snow without having to deal with chains and whatnot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads