• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lot of gray.market watches will have their serials lasered off. This may complicate warranty issues, depending on brand.
Generally, I would buy new if the watch has a proprietary movement, Rolex and JLC being the exception.

i never have seen that. and i would never buy a watch with the serial number removed.

Right - why would you buy one like that? There's plenty of solid grey market dealers selling legit goods.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
A lot of gray market watches will have their serials lasered off

I believe the word is "fenced"
laugh.gif

NonServiam

Reaction score

I believe the word is "fenced"Β :laugh:

The word is "sold to the grey dealers with a substantial discount by ADs who need to clean up their inventory but don't want to get in trouble with the manufacturers who keep track of serial numbers". Common practice. Never buy though, I agree with that.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i never have seen that. and i would never buy a watch with the serial number removed.

+2 - never seen that. All but one of my NIB watches came from grey market dealers.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+2 - never seen that. All but one of my NIB watches came from grey market dealers.

what does your collection consist of these days? if i may be so bold.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The word is "sold to the grey dealers with a substantial discount by ADs who need to clean up their inventory but don't want to get in trouble with the manufacturers who keep track of serial numbers". Common practice. Never buy though, I agree with that.

To coin a phrase, precisely. A gray market watch is basically a pre-owned watch as far as warranty goes with many brands.in some cases it may be better to buy used. Omega used to be especially persnickety in this regard.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the ~ 10 Panerai / Rolex etc that I've bought I'd say 2 were from an AD and the rest used or grey.

Never pay retail - ever. Also, never seen a serial removed on anything I've bought.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.chronocentric.com/omega/consumeralert.shtml#policies

I have personally seen Omegas with serials removed, so it does happen. And it can complicate things for the buyer.

I would suspect that many other (more expensive) brands turn a blind eye to the issue, and so there's no incentive for the gray market dealer to remove the serial in that case.

It may not be an issue with Omega any more since they are aggressively elevating their brand profile and prices.
On the other hand, if they are still concerned about this, I would under no circumstances buy a gray market Omega watch. This would be especially true if I were going to buy one of their watches with proprietary movements such as the jumping hour coaxial planet ocean. Not sure why everyone is getting so huffy about this issue. You guys sound like Reev when he defends buying fakes.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had multiple Swatch Group watches, including GO and Omega go through repair or service within the warranty period and never once had the slightest issue with the stamped warranty cards or with them honoring their warranty.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well good for you then! Not all experiences are the same, obviously. I guess you didn't buy them at Costco.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/12/supreme-court-lets-ban-on-gray-market-imports-stand/

I'm sure most of the grey market sellers offer in house warrantys which mirror manufacturer warrantys closely. After that, the manufacturer treats it just like any post warranty watch for service. Not a big deal, except that the fellow who asked about buying used in the first place specifically mentioned he wants an Omega. I would not buy an Omega from a gray market dealer, because Omega appears to be especially sensitive to the issue. whyntake the risk?I would buy a used one first.

In fact, I'm not sure how we got on the gray market track, as it were. Quick, somebody post a picture of puppies.

Last edited:

bhall41

Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads