• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need a recommendation on a relatively cheap, but still nice, women's watch. Under $500, preferably WAY under that, but nice all the same. Maybe a Christopher Ward, foreign Seiko, or something of the sort. Quartz is ok. Design and quality are key here.

I can recommend Christopher Ward or a Japan-market Seiko. Excellent watches for the price.

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ohturtle

Reaction score
My first contribution to the forum! A vintage midsize, about to get sent in for some routine servicing.

Cylon

Reaction score

This is one watch I wouldn't mind purchasing. Now to save up $5,000. I like nice simple and plain watches. I dislike seeing numbers or the roman numerals. Don't get me wrong, later in like I wouldn't mind purchasing more expensive and complex watches. I think I saw a few people post A. Lange & Sohne, that is one of my favourite watch makers out there.

If you like plain, simple watches (like I do) with dial markers rather than Arabic/Roman Numerals, have you considered Glashutte Original Senators pre-201, JLC master control grande ultra thin, or Rolex oysters or submariners? If you dont have 20k to burn just yet, GO will be as close as you will get to ALS for awhile. Plus there's the top-rate in-house movements to consider for about the same price (though the trade-off here is stainless steel; but you arent a 60 year old man either--save the gold watch for your retirement party
smile.gif
).

Also, why not consider the Zenith Captain Elite--I think it really matches the aesthetic of the Longines (without the cursive that really ruins it for me, plus youre gonna save close to 2k), or the Zenith El Primero Pilot (though a chrono may be too busy for you)?

Last edited:

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've beem thinking about buying the IWC Pilot Chronograph and I'm curious if anyone has experience with the company and reliability? The IWC Pilot's Watch uses a 79320 Cal, which is a highly modified Valjoux 7750 movement. Is there anything that I should be aware of regarding IWC and their watches?

Last edited:

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are your thoughts on IWC movements? Specifically the 79320 calibre chronograph movement in the Pilot's Watch Chronograph? Are these movements durable or just modified 2892-ETA's?

pretty sure eta movements are "durable". perhaps you mean "in-house manufactured"?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've beem thinking about buying the IWC Pilot Chronograph and I'm curious if anyone has experience with the company and reliability? The IWC Pilot's Watch uses a 79320 Cal, which is a highly modified Valjoux 7750 movement. Is there anything that I should be aware of regarding IWC and their watches?

I do like these watches but they are quite thick. From pictures I have seen they look a bit odd on the wrist because of that but I haven't tried one on yet. Soon.

A question to you TZ members out there, I can't seem to locate the page that provides description or instruction on TZ ratings. Can anyone direct me to it?

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so,a bit of a stupid question...

I spilled hot coffee on my wrist and watch today. Now, according to the manufacturer's website the watch has a WR rating of 3atm, a o-ring crown, and a caseback gasket. I'm assuming the watch would be fine? Never really worried about spills and water before because my other watches have a pretty high WR, so I am a bit unsure of the 3 atm rating.

Last edited:

lbtemple

Reaction score

I've had the double chronograph since the late 90's, it is now going for its second service and never had any problem. So, yes, it is durable movement, made by Valjoux.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting observations, thank you Newcomer.

Thank you very much, sir.

As for the Longines issue. I think that the poster above had a good idea with the Zenith Captain Elite. The only question I have in regards to that watch is the movement... I am not sure that the Zenith Captain's use an in-house movement. Nonetheless, a lovely watch.

As the poster above me also suggested, I would definitely steer clear of Longines for the $5,000 range. I think that one would be much better served staying away from precious metals in that price range, and instead opting for stainless. Although Longines makes some very nice watches, the finishing is not what one would normally expect out of a $5,000 watch. At that range, you are going to be paying for the 'bling,' not the movement and the finishing. I have a bona fide plethora of suggestions in that price range, as that is the one in which I am currently operating :).

Here goes it...

First off, I think that Grand Seiko Spring Drive would be RIGHT up your alley. A particular dealer gives out some fine discounts. Honestly, I think that would be my number one choice for you, considering your price range. You could also start looking to JLC. I personally have this on the way as we speak:

More pictures, of course, will be forthcoming when it arrives. I will think about some other ideas and get back to you.

Josh

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

so,a bit of a stupid question...
I spilled hot coffee on my wrist and watch today. Now, according to the manufacturer's website the watch has a WR rating of 3atm, a o-ring crown, and a caseback gasket. I'm assuming the watch would be fine? Never really worried about spills and water before because my other watches have a pretty high WR, so I am a bit unsure of the 3 atm rating.

You should be a-ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads