• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
JV - if you want to wear larger watches and that makes you happy while in the infinite corridor, go ahead and enjoy. Do not worry about what anyone else says.

My opinion - those watches are way too big for your wrists, height and weight have nothing to do with it, but if you are happy, go ahead, that is what life is about.

Guys, please stop piling on JV, it seems almost like bullying.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just put a Toshi Strap on my DC56, and thought I would share!

Oh, and as an aside... I have ~8 inch wrists, and 40mm is about as big as I am willing to go (the size of this Damasko). I think a little bit of wrist looks good. No need for the watch to take up every square bit possible. The argument about women's use of watches is kind of silly. Big jewelry, small jewelry--for women it goes in and out of vogue more often than any person can count.

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JV - if you want to wear larger watches and that makes you happy while in the infinite corridor, go ahead and enjoy. Do not worry about what anyone else says.

My opinion - those watches are way too big for your wrists, height and weight have nothing to do with it, but if you are happy, go ahead, that is what life is about.

Of course - to each his own.

MLIW

Reaction score
My Pocket Watches:

Ellis Exeter - 1860s
Ingersoll Crown
Limit
&
2 i'm still trying to work out what they are!

chim

Reaction score
i had to comment - this JV insecurity big man watch thing has been the most interesting development of this thread yet. This is the first time where I've seen someone so clearly compensating for something they're uncomfortable with. A watch isn't going to make you grow 6 inches, and it's not emasculating to wear a smaller watch either. Its just a watch guys, get one that you feel comfortable with, wind it and wear it.

junior varsity

Reaction score

i had to comment - this JV insecurity big man watch thing has been the most interesting development of this thread yet. This is the first time where I've seen someone so clearly compensating for something they're uncomfortable with. A watch isn't going to make you grow 6 inches, and it's not emasculating to wear a smaller watch either. Its just a watch guys, get one that you feel comfortable with, wind it and wear it.

late night online arguments sometimes do get out of hand, but to each their own.
some people like it small some people like it big :lookaround:

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how big are your wrists? I have six inch wrists and my 40mm Rolex is honestly as big as I think I could ever go: http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/ba/ba0fa7db_gmtC.jpeg

I also have a 26mm X 42mm rectangular watch that is the perfect size for me, in my opinion: http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/5a/5ae78917_IMG_3291.jpeg

This watch is 36mm, and another perfect fit if you ask me: http://styleforum-testing.s3.amazonaws.com/e/eb/ebd9def6_vbattach66139.jpg

I don't think you can claim any of these watches look at all girly on me.

im not going to comment anything... i've made my point... but you got seriously thin wrists...
i think victoria beckham has the same sized wrists as you... :nest: because look how small a 36mm rolex looks on caroline wozniacki's wrist and how big a 36mm heuer looks on yours... :uhoh:
i personally think my planet ocean (42mm) looks small on me... but maybe thats just the bezel playing tricks

Very quit pic of your boy!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ok... i dont know how small you are, but i am 5'7 and 150lbs (considered TINY in USA) ... this cartier watch is 42mm... and it fits me just right.
That looks enormous to me.
this is me wearing my 40mm rolex 'dress' watch...
Again, that looks quite big.
i personally think my planet ocean (42mm) looks small on me... but maybe thats just the bezel playing tricks
"Small"??? Wow, either there is something going on with your photos or.... All 3 of your examples look quite over-sized to my eye, at least in these photos.
All your watches look too big for your wrist to me.
+1 and +1.
Just put a Toshi Strap on my DC56, and thought I would share!
That color looks quite good Nc.

Last edited:

junior varsity

Reaction score
the current trend is to have the watch face cover most of the wrist...

junior varsity

Reaction score

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the current trend is to have the watch face cover most of the wrist...
Oh, well, that must mean it looks good then....
Diego-Maradona-wears-Hublot-Watch-Big-Bang.jpg
100_8696.jpg
P1000003.jpg
198136d1246554061-when-watch-too-big-your-wrist-imgp1092.jpg
435904d1305350266-tiny-wrist-big-watch-img_0081.jpg
The only problem I can see with these examples is that in order to be uptotheminutetrendy (and therefore look even better!!!) is that they need a little less cowbell...and a lot more beads!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads