• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Gents, Having problems uploading my photos at work..will try later. If I am correct, some of Nicolas Rieussec models are starting at around €12,000 / $15,000 - would these be in-house movements from a firm that more renowned for their pens & wallets? Compared to some of the €50,000 watches I've seen in Geneva, no doubt they are beautiful! # Mine in the $5,000 bracket - So most definitely an ETA movement.

Quote:

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ very nice, flakey my boy ^^

I'm giving serious thought to kopping one of the nicolas rieussec models, like the chrono a lot.

that is hands down my favorite watch of their. love that watch. i actually was going to mention it in my post but i was typing on my phone and had no idea how to spell it.

some pr0n for fun if anyone is not familiar with the model.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The breed is featured prominently in Brad Thor's, "Scot Harvath" books. I like the series and always got a kick out of the dogs. Nice to see a picture of one.
Interesting. I haven't heard of that series, but I will check it out. Thanks!
Sorry I'm late to the party - Love the watch, but i LOVE the dog. Great shot of both
Thanks, glad you like them!
cheers.gif

Also, what are people view of MB watches, not seen many on here. Had this piece for over 3 years, I was attracted to the curve and aesthetics more...and the pricé of course
They make very nice pens, but it is not a brand that attracts me as a potential watch consumer. Personally, I think of them mainly as a pen company. Their most significant contributions have been in the world of pens rather than watches. I find some of their watch designs seem a bit forced and at times even flashy. Also, while I understand the idea of a familiar theme among products, but many of their black watches, black pens, and black cufflinks seem too matchy, matchy.

Knowing that several MBs were ETA or Val 7750 powered wasn't a strong selling point for me. ETA/Valjoux make good solid movements, but if I were getting a watch powered by one of those, I would probably consider an IWC Pilot watch from the late 1990s, such as a 3706 or 3713, or maybe a Mark XV. I always find a watch company's history, heritage, and accomplishments in the world of watch making to be both interesting and on some level a selling point. MB doesn't have much history in the world of watch making and and I don't see them as really standing apart from the crowd.

When I consider the prices of some of their watches, I tend to be more interested in other companies that have always been watch makers rather than those branching out to target new types of consumers. Nothing wrong with it, its just not for me. Ralph Lauren and Zegna have come up with watches that use very respected movements, but again I think of them as clothing makers. While their history is rich in their original fields, I am not interested in owning one of their watches. I guess I don't see a point in buying something that isn't what the brand known for...be it car makers, clothing makers, watch makers, or pen makers. But no one brand can be everything to everyone. If we all favored the same brand and model of watches it would be a very boring forum.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is there some connection between MB and the old Minerva? I have some idea that there is/was. And what did happen to Minerva? Did the brand vanish post-Frey?

MB bought ought Minerva, in order for them to be "in house."

If you look at the movement design, they bear strong resemblance to Minerva movements of yore.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I liked Minerva. I still wear the rose gold cal. 49 that I have.

But mine is on either a black or dark brown croc strap (I have both) rather than that tan one.
I have a white cal 49 TZ LE and two black pilot's Pythagores (don't ask why I have two), but don't wear them.

Last edited:

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well in that case I think the 1002 has a 34mm case and so I'd rather go with the 36mm 1016 if you have the cash. The 1018 is also 36mm, for what it's worth, but otherwise looks like the 1002.

I agree that 36 is probably the right size to work for both casual and formal dress. Any thoughts on this 1985 GMT 16753? Could this be pulled off with formal wear?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't see why not. No one will notice/care that it's not formal wear appropriate, and if you like it/that doesn't bother you, great.
That is true of every watch then. And plenty of people will notice. Whether you care or not is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads