• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lol, bought it last week, birthday is in two weeks, trying not too think how much OT I have to work for the remainder of the year to pay for it.

worth it. who cares. just wear it while pulling the OT. will be a lovely way of keeping track of the hours.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Interesting bit about watch lume that I ran across on another forum:

"Actually there are studies that show that wearing a tritium lume watch is detectable in your urine. In addition, the problem with radium lume in old watches is that the substrate crumbles leaving radioactive dust which can leak out, especially if you open the watch as many WIS do and make its way into your lungs through breathing. from whence it may make its way into your bones, displacing calcium and happily spewing out beta radiation for the next 1600 years (to half life).

Now you can say what you want about 'safe doses' of radiation but the risk of starting a cancer is, as far as I understand it, both cumulative and probabilistic. In other words the more exposure you have the more 'tickets' you buy and the more tickets you buy the more likely you are to get 'lucky'. Now I know that there are dietary, environmental and genetic components, but these are just modifiers.

In short, if you happen to know for certain that a certain gene on the short arm of your 17th chromosome is doing a really sharklike job then you can gamble in the radiation lottery.

If not, or if the gnomic sentence above means nothing to you, then it really isn't worth the risk."

Coldcava

Reaction score
I think we'll all die from the Saphir Renomat / Renovateur fumes before the glow in the dark hands on our watches get us.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we'll all die from the Saphir Renomat / Renovateur fumes before the glow in the dark hands on our watches get us.
Yeah, unless you were one of those people who licked the brush when applying it those many moons ago.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting bit about watch lume that I ran across on another forum:

"Actually there are studies that show that wearing a tritium lume watch is detectable in your urine. In addition, the problem with radium lume in old watches is that the substrate crumbles leaving radioactive dust which can leak out, especially if you open the watch as many WIS do and make its way into your lungs through breathing. from whence it may make its way into your bones, displacing calcium and happily spewing out beta radiation for the next 1600 years (to half life).

Now you can say what you want about 'safe doses' of radiation but the risk of starting a cancer is, as far as I understand it, both cumulative and probabilistic. In other words the more exposure you have the more 'tickets' you buy and the more tickets you buy the more likely you are to get 'lucky'. Now I know that there are dietary, environmental and genetic components, but these are just modifiers.

In short, if you happen to know for certain that a certain gene on the short arm of your 17th chromosome is doing a really sharklike job then you can gamble in the radiation lottery.

If not, or if the gnomic sentence above means nothing to you, then it really isn't worth the risk."

I remember Jeffrey Hess telling me, shortly after he brought back Ball Watch, that those radium tubes he is using required special permits to be imported into the US. (They are awful bright though)

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Met up for lunch with a couple of very cool guys who are also watch enthusiasts (from other watch forums). When are we going to have a "Watch Appreciation Thread" get-together, if anyone's up for it??!

Comment: 5270 looks LARGE right beside the 3970, 'no? That's 36mm versus 41mm but since that's the case diameter that translates to roughly a 30% difference in case area.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Comment: 5270 looks LARGE right beside the 3970, 'no? That's 36mm versus 41mm but since that's the case diameter that translates to roughly a 30% difference in case area.
that is a fantastic pic. im up for a watch get together. i plan on leaving with more watches than i arrived with.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Met up for lunch with a couple of very cool guys who are also watch enthusiasts (from other watch forums). When are we going to have a "Watch Appreciation Thread" get-together, if anyone's up for it??! Comment: 5270 looks LARGE right beside the 3970, 'no? That's 36mm versus 41mm but since that's the case diameter that translates to roughly a 30% difference in case area.
Nice grouping of watches. Yes, the 5270 looks much larger, but the 3970 follows a more traditional size and appearance for their perpetual calendar chronos. Haven't been to a GTG in a while. It would be fun to have a watch appreciation GTG. I may be able to go to NYC for a few days in May. Or if SF regulars are in the North East, I work near Boston. I like stitches idea of leaving with more watches than he arrived with ; )

Last edited:

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ball Watch, in a dark room, after being kept in a box for a few months.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of my RTW shirts do not have enough room in the cuff for my latest acquisition.... does anyone use button extenders? It seems, on the face, like a good idea that could go horribly wrong.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ball Watch, in a dark room, after being kept in a box for a few months.

i have tried to get pics like this of my panerai, but cant get a good one. what is the required technique?

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No technique on this one. Tritium gas filled tubes make it bright all the time.

On your PAM, you can get a good pic if you expose the dial to bright sunlight then take it into a completely dark room. Sunlight seems to charge the luminova best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads