• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In order:

Old School Big Three: PP, VC, AP
New School Big Three: Philippe Dufour, F.P. Journe, ALS

I'm not sure about the old school, new school distinction - but having owned a few Journes I don't find its association with the big time names to be appropriate. Journe has extraordinary talent and a keen eye for design, but the ownership experience of his watches does not live up to its promise. After all, what's the point of a watch if it fails to fulfill its primary function as a reliable timekeeper?

Dufour, on the other hand, is a master who inexplicably somehow falls under the radar.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex movements are IMO incredibly robust, and if I was washed up on a desert island and for some reason needed a solidly built tool watch to time tides and kill small creatures or whatever I would go with a Rolex over a watch from any of the big 3 or AL&S or (insert haute horology marque). You don't need to handle Rolexes with kid gloves.

There was an (in)famous Walt Odets Rolex review article a while back which while... not exactly complimentary towards Rolex from the POV of movement finishing/assembly did in a somewhat backhanded way express admiration for its ability to keep functioning so superbly despite the shortcomings in movement finishing.
Yes, I remember the article by Walt Odets, I believe he was reviewing an Rolex Explorer.

I agree complete, if stuck on a desert island or traveling to a remote area I'd want a Rolex. In addition to being rugged, I remember someone also saying if something happens and you need money or goods, a Rolex works as currency in any country. You can easily trade or sell it for necessities because everyone knows the brand name...your probably can't say the same for VC, Breguet, Philippe Dufour, or Journe etc.

Last edited:

papa kot

Reaction score
Indeed, should. It's a pretty easy way to pick an IMO immature WIS by whether they Rolex bash or not - it's a common rookie mistake.

Rolex movements are IMO incredibly robust, and if I was washed up on a desert island and for some reason needed a solidly built tool watch to time tides and kill small creatures or whatever I would go with a Rolex over a watch from any of the big 3 or AL&S or (insert haute horology marque). You don't need to handle Rolexes with kid gloves.

There was an (in)famous Walt Odets Rolex review article a while back which while... not exactly complimentary towards Rolex from the POV of movement finishing/assembly did in a somewhat backhanded way express admiration for its ability to keep functioning so superbly despite the shortcomings in movement finishing.

There is a good definition of a "WIS" on Timezone. Go check it out... I fully agree with the description and I am not sure about what is worse: Being a pro-WIS or being a rookie WIS.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indeed, should. It's a pretty easy way to pick an IMO immature WIS by whether they Rolex bash or not - it's a common rookie mistake.

Oh yeah i completely agree, i have done the following while wearing my Rolex, Trek though a jungle, go swimming, running, hell even surfing, And its survived some vicious enough bangs that if the need arises i would not hesitate to use them as makeshift brass knuckles lol. This is with a Datejust mind you

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picking up my JLC NSA which is coming back from service today (3 months - not bad!) Wearing this in the meantime. I know it's a little different and not necessarily SF approved but I love the unique place it holds in my collection

Have a great weekend everyone

Thanks for sharing - does the IWC have a blue or a black dial? Have a good weekend!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I remember the article by Walt Odets, I believe he was reviewing an Rolex Explorer.

I agree complete, if stuck on a desert island or traveling to a remote area I'd want a Rolex. In addition to being rugged, I remember someone also saying if something happens and you need money or goods, a Rolex works as currency in any country. You can easily trade or sell it for necessities because everyone knows the brand name...your probably can't say the same for VC, Breguet, Philippe Dufour, or Journe etc.

I tend to bring my Explorer with me whenever I'll be at the beach, swimming, spending time in the sand with my kids, etc. Tough as nails, and as much as I love my Pateks my Rolex gets at least one day a week of wrist time.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to bring my Explorer with me whenever I'll be at the beach, swimming, spending time in the sand with my kids, etc. Tough as nails, and as much as I love my Pateks my Rolex gets at least one day a week of wrist time.
The Explorer is a classic. I had one for almost 10 years. For many years I've worn some form of Rolex sport watch as a daily wearer, and they have never let me down.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Explorer is a classic. I had one for almost 10 years. For many years I've worn some form of Rolex sport watch as a daily wearer, and they have never let me down.

I bought the 114270 pre-owned. I love the 36mm size - perfect for my smallish 6.25" wrist.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the 114270 pre-owned. I love the 36mm size - perfect for my smallish 6.25" wrist.
Mine was also a 114270, great watch. I purchased it new, but back then it only cost $2,850. With all the price increases most of mine (all purchased new) only cost about half of what the list prices are today. Mine wasn't getting much wrist time in the last few years, I was wearing my Ex2 and Sub more so I found it a new home.

dicee

Reaction score
Just picked up my first Sinn (Flieger 356 with display back). I think I'm in love. Please ignore my logo, its for my strap hustle.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What model is this?  That looks great and I've been looking for something simple/dressy/reasonably priced and this looks like a winner.

I love it - and it has blue hands that don't show in the photo.

It's a Stowa Antea 365 on mid brown croc strap with deployment buckle. 7" wrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics