• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The jeweler just got back to me-- they sent it to Nomos, and even though I'd not bothered to file the warranty card (or keep it where I could find it), they said there was no excuse for it falling apart in this way. So as far as I can tell, it will be repaired and returned to the US with no cost to me.

I don’t really know much about Nomos and their reliability but in fairness to them, a perusal of any Rolex forum will reveal that they also have the occasional issues. Also, it would be an interesting study to follow a hundred or so watch owners with an inexpensive everyday wearer and a Rolex and see how they treat each watch.

As per your “the shaft just kept coming” comment, that is quite the softball pitch but I’m trying to act like a grownup for some reason so I will leave it at that.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know whether your shaft keeps coming? Or did Nomos stop your shaft from coming? Either way it seems problematic.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tim Mosso's Monday stream mentioned that JLC might have downgraded the Duometre by using rodium plated brass instead of German silver on the movement - you can tell the sheen look different on the new models at W&W compare to the older Duometre. If this is true it is a sneaky move and are trying to maximize profit by cutting back material/production cost.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my vision is shot, but I still despise the date magnifier. I'd rather break out a pair of reading glasses than have it. The best option is no date complication, though.

When I was younger, I used to think if someone didn't buy the date version it was just to save some money, but as I matured I realized a lot of watches look so much better without a date. The last 2 out of 3 watches I purchased don't have a date.

Since I am sure a lot of you guys have been sitting around wondering who I thought “won” Watches and Wonder, no need to fret, here is my list.

JLC
Cartier
IWC

Not every watch from the above was a home run but I think these three did the most interesting and beautiful watches overall. There were some other nice pieces from the other brands but I think you can take 2 releases from each of the three brands above and have a magnificent collection right away.

The Razzie award goes to Zenith. They seem to be lacking an identity and are just throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks.
While I respect JLC, and I still love their Reverso Tribute Monoface and their old Reverso Sun/Moon, overall I'm kind of over most of their round cased watches.

I've never liked the Duometres at all, and now when I see this....
jlc-duometre-lunaire-1024x683.jpg

which is overall is nice, but has a dial that reminds me of this ... 🤷‍♂️
6d8215b841efa5d4d214ddd66a8da859.jpg

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was younger, I used to think if someone didn't buy the date version it was just to save some money, but as I matured I realized a lot of watches look so much better without a date. The last 2 out of 3 watches I purchased don't have a date.

While I respect JLC, and I still love their Reverso Tribute Monoface and their old Reverso Sun/Moon, overall I'm kind of over most of their round cased watches.

I've never liked the Duometres at all, and now when I see this....
jlc-duometre-lunaire-1024x683.jpg

which is overall is nice, but has a dial that reminds me of this ... 🤷‍♂️
6d8215b841efa5d4d214ddd66a8da859.jpg

The old layout (without the cutout under the 2 PR hands) was already quite cluttered, but JLC decided it wasn't interesting looking enough and put more **** on it.

Soldier-2022-05-10T114713.975.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tim Mosso's Monday stream mentioned that JLC might have downgraded the Duometre by using rodium plated brass instead of German silver on the movement - you can tell the sheen look different on the new models at W&W compare to the older Duometre. If this is true it is a sneaky move and are trying to maximize profit by cutting back material/production cost.

🤷‍♂️ not a JLC fanboy (don’t even think that exists) but what would the savings be given that Silver is about $1 a gram. Now brass may be easier to work with than silver and I guess that would also be a savings but on a $30-40k watch, you can increase the price $2-3k without any of those buyers really batting an eye.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The old layout (without the cutout under the 2 PR hands) was already quite cluttered, but JLC decided it wasn't interesting looking enough and put more **** on it.

Soldier-2022-05-10T114713.975.jpg
I never liked the design of the original Duometre. Now I just laugh when I see the Duometre Robot Face Watches! :rotflmao:
🤷‍♂️ not a JLC fanboy (don’t even think that exists) but what would the savings be given that Silver is about $1 a gram. Now brass may be easier to work with than silver and I guess that would also be a savings but on a $30-40k watch, you can increase the price $2-3k without any of those buyers really batting an eye.

Agreed! In that price range I'd rather a company increase the price slightly rather than cutting corners and taking away something that I have come to expect with a particular watch.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

German silver is not the same as sterling silver, but a harder material than brass which means longer machining time as well as finishing time.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been enjoying this watch so much!

View attachment 2168671

I can see why! She’s a beaut. My most exciting purchase in the last few years was re-buying a 16600. There are tons of great examples from that era that are reasonably priced even with a RSC service factored in. It kind of has me half heartedly looking at a Polar dial 16570 or 216570. Still modern enough to use without worry (and no pesky PCL’s)!

P.S. Does that stool have your name on it yet?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see why! She’s a beaut. My most exciting purchase in the last few years was re-buying a 16600. There are tons of great examples from that era that are reasonably priced even with a RSC service factored in. It kind of has me half heartedly looking at a Polar dial 16570 or 216570. Still modern enough to use without worry (and no pesky PCL’s)!

P.S. Does that stool have your name on it yet?
I really love current production Rolex too, but 5-digit Rolex wear so well!

M’man, the stool does not have my name on it, but everyone here knows my name… ;-)

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
German silver is not the same as sterling silver, but a harder material than brass which means longer machining time as well as finishing time.

Ah ok. So it’s an alloy that is mostly copper. So the raw material is probably cheaper but harder to work with. JLC is using machines for all this stuff though so not sure how much they would really save using brass, I guess on any parts that are hand finished. I’ll look at the video you posted to see if he mentions it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads