• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Upgraded my strap to this one from The Strap Tailor. So much better than the stock Tudor, it’s a joke.

IMG_2965.jpeg
IMG_2968.jpeg
IMG_2971.jpeg
IMG_2999.jpeg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would put lange above ap without question. I still can't understand why anyone would spend the ridiculous sums ap is asking for a variant of the same watch over and over again. The datograph and zeitwerk are far more attractive pieces. Just my .02
Because the AP RO totally fvcks! I kind of agree though that you don't need a jumbo, PC, ROC, or all the 800 variants currently out. Just get one AP RO any size/complication that you like and move on.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would put lange above ap without question. I still can't understand why anyone would spend the ridiculous sums ap is asking for a variant of the same watch over and over again. The datograph and zeitwerk are far more attractive pieces. Just my .02
Well, Lange might truly compete with PP more than AP or VC. Still, especially if one considers vintage pieces from before AP really just became about the RO, ROO and the Code, they made some truly exceptional pieces in terms of advancements in complications, and workmanship. Today, while not every design is my taste they have been and continue to be pioneers in using high tech materials (I hadn't even heard of Tantalum, until they made a RO that used it about 30 years ago).

Even if a RO is not your cup of tea, and I may be biased, but in my time looking at luxury sports watches that were available at the time, the RO was by far the nicest one available back in 2012. The 2nd Gen Overseas, the dials had a sort of cheese grater texture/guilloche that wasn't very attractive, the different sized sub dials on the chrono, detracted made for a sort of lopsided looking dial, and the finish didn't look as nice as that of the RO or Nautilus. The Nautilus was really beautifully finished, but I didn't love the bracelet (always felt flimsy to me, and IIRC it used push pins...kind of disappointing on a watch in that price range). Not to mention, its sort of the OG of luxury sports watches with integrated bracelets.

I really like Lange and respect their work, but to be honest, I really only like their Lange 1 (which is sort of like their RO - lots of variations), and it's truly the watch they are best known for. I like the Zeitwork, but I'd rather have a Lange 1. The Datograph has a great movement, but I've never liked the the watch as a whole, especially the dial. I even have a friend who owned a RG white dial version, and later a platinum black dial, and for him they just weren't keepers. So for me, Lange isn't really that different than AP, even if they have more lines in their collection.

Not to mention, I wasn't that impressed with the Lange sales reps at an event I went to. They had an Odysseus on display. An acquaintance (who is a rather flashy), was wearing a current Overseas dual time. He inquired as to the price of the Odysseus, the the SA made a big deal of how it isn't relevant to tell him that. The acquaintance was like why the secrecy, I just want to know the price. The SA, said well these are only for "Good client's of the brand" so even if I told you the price it wouldn't matter. It was really kind of obnoxious. He eventually did tell the guy the MSRP, but IMHO, he didn't represent the brand well, and sort of soured me on their potential purchase experience even if one needs to have a spending history to get one.

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all the recent talk about safety and watches relating to some posters' recent trips, I was a little concerned myself, but I decided YOLO.

Pleased to say I've successfully braved a trip to Ocala, FL and the World Equestrian Center without incident. I'll report back if conditions on the ground change.

1000004620.jpg

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A former buddy of mine owns a watch from each of the “trinity” (5196, 15202 and 1921 American) and a Lange 1. He considers his Lange 1 to be the most precious of them all.

Obviously, he is wrong and we are no longer friends as a result.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But if you wanted a watch which channelled the spirit of A_L B, Urban Jurgensen under Pratt and Baumberger were making better pastiches of ançien Breguets than the Swatch Group were.
That's the watch nerd choice though. For someone who loves watches. I'd sort of side with what Dino (and Foo?) might imply and go for a vintage Patek that has the advantage of having time filter the best options for me and my lack of taste and knowledge.

Interesting analogy, but isn't the steak at the adventurous restaurant really for that person who is going out to eat with other people, and he isn't an adventurous diner? Sure it's probably a good quality steak and they do a good job cooking it. However, why go to that restaurant for the steak when it is really known for other more adventurous dishes. Wouldn't that diner who lacks an adventurous palate more likely opt for the steakhouse that is specifically known for their steaks, and he can get his usual "loaded baked potato," caesar salad, and molten chocolate cake ? Sure maybe he would on occasion go to the adventurous place for steak because they have good service, or a good wine selection, or maybe out of convenience if it is very close to his work or his home. However, I just don't see that guy choosing the adventurous restaurant if he has a choice of other places or he isn't going with a group of people who chose that place. Same goes for Breguet...nice watches but when you have plenty of other choices I think a lot of people would and do go with something from the Big Three or Lange.
I think there's a substantial number of folks who might have cared before they had kids and visited 200+ Michelin starred places in their 20s at which point it all starts to taste the same. But now you're going out with your colleagues/clients and you don't really care where the steak is from, and it's easier to choose that than parse whether scallops with cauliflower coulis would work (it does) or whether grouse is in season or how a place in Konstanz would get hold of some, do they even hunt grouse in Southern Germany, etc.

Similarly a 5157 (with suit) or 5177 (casual) is a clean and classical design, well made, easily serviceable globally thanks to Breguet's network, and new so unlikely to have the kind of issues your Patek calendar or world timer from 30 years ago will almost certainly have whilst you're on your 5th long haul flight this year to say hi to the Seoul client. That it is not 100% the spirit of Louis Abraham is almost the point. Like buying Cucinelli instead of going bespoke. It's quite a specific niche but I think with a larger market than WIS think. I'll always take the 5177 over that Hermes bent number watch it's competing against.

Then the complication stuff.. well it's telling that our Canadian friend has a lot of choice available and still goes down that rabbithole. I find the lack of history and narrative refreshing, but freely admit that's a personal thing.

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't that diner who lacks an adventurous palate more likely opt for the steakhouse that is specifically known for their steaks, and he can get his usual "loaded baked potato," caesar salad, and molten chocolate cake ?
I think this is quite funny because it's almost a thing that food critics get tired and then default to what looks like really plain food but well executed (I remember Giles Coren in particular with I think the River Cafe which was a very boring Italian place, but he talked about how he felt refreshed going there and it was timeless or something). And ofc in places where people go out all the time like Melbourne the famous names also offer simple stuff over Arpege-like destination sophistication (French Laundry for your side of the pond), probably for the same reason. It's not going to be a straight up creme brulee, unless you're in Japan, but it'll taste like one despite a token amount of deconstruction to modernise it a bit and make the 3x premium acceptable.

The place that immediately comes to mind is Bennelong at the Sydney Opera House. It used to be more of a French Laundry type place I think called Guillaume and excellent value for money with their set meals, not to mention stunning location. But a few years ago it was streamlined and hipsterised and now the $120 lunch looks like a cleaner version of the hipster cafe food you might get at places like Mecca known for their coffee roasting skills. I don't know if Bennelong is a destination like Quay but I'd wager it makes good coin and bet the critics praise the simplicity etc. Safe choice if you're in Sydney :)

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A former buddy of mine owns a watch from each of the “trinity” (5196, 15202 and 1921 American) and a Lange 1. He considers his Lange 1 to be the most precious of them all.

Obviously, he is wrong and we are no longer friends as a result.
jesus, that's not just the trinity, that's the greatest hits of the trinity. and still loves lange the most. wow, that says something. im currently deciding between the 5196 and the lange 1 and that just made my decision harder

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Na1374