• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Patek 5170-010 or Lange 1815 chrono boutique edition (white /blue)?

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
View attachment 2047707

Question: I imagine it's fairly safe to wear a Rolex for a couple of days strolling around Rome, am I wrong?
I have just spent the last week wandering the streets of Florence and Siena wearing a white gold Rolex 19019 without the slightest of problems.

image0-8.jpeg

We have been coming to Italy four or more times a year for over 30 years, wearing everything from Cartier Tanks to Rolex Milsubs and have never given it a single thought, and 90% of the time here I am walking around with my sleeves rolled up.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just spent the last week wandering the streets of Florence and Siena wearing a white gold Rolex 19019 without the slightest of problems.

Of course you were; in the steal-to-order market there is no demand for such a piece.

The modern richtarded sheep have no interest in quartz - keep up.

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree there is a big difference in the construction and vault like solidity of the current Rolex watches, especially the bracelets and clasps even compared to my 5 digit reference models on SEL bracelets, but there is as you say a certain charm to the older pieces.

Speaking of vintage Rolex watches, here is an old 1675 GMT that I spotted on a guy at Malpensa airport heading back to the US.

I also spotted a family who was clearly into watches. The dad was wearing a Yachtmaster II, the mom an Aquanaut, and the son an Aquanaut travel time in rose gold.

We stayed in Milan but visited La Garda, Lake Como, Bellagio, Bolognia and Modena. I saw more Breitlings than I normally do in New England. I saw several Speedmasters (the owner of one of the exotic car tour companies was wearing a smaller sized Speedmater, not sure if it was an older automatic version). I only saw one person wearing a Reverso. I also saw a woman wearing a small sized RO, a man wearing an older Jumbo 15202st, and another man wearing a RO 15400. I saw a few IWCs, and of course several Rolex watches (everthing from last generation ceramic bezel Daytonas, Batmans, and Subs, to older OPs, DJs, and vintage Subs).

I didn't have a chance to go into any of the vintage watch shops, but there were some interesting pieces in the windows. I saw the AP boutique, it looked tiny and there was nothing in the window. The Rolex and Patek ADs had signs saying the watches were exhibition pieces. Basically all high end brands had boutiques or ADs there, Rolex, AP, PP, VC, Cartier, IWC, Panerai, Omega, Breitling, Tudor, JLC, BP, Breguet.

A street clock near the boutique.

A few preowned pieces at second hand shops.

I also saw many more Moonswatches than I ever see in the States, at least in compared to what I see in New England. I saw them on people who were part of our tour group, I saw them on people working at Goyard, on people on the street, and at the airport.

Someone on one of the tours.

While I probably would have been comfortable wearing my 16570 Ex2 (which is very low key), there was one area in Milan near a river or canal that seemed very shady and I'm glad I wasn't wearing it (or any other good watch). Overall, my Moonswatch served it's purpose and thanks to the strap recommended by @Clouseau , it was very comfortable to wear. I will say, that at least with the color scheme of the one I own, Mission on Earth, there is one slight design flaw in terms of legibility at a glance. There should be some contrast between the hands and the subdials. When the time is between say 5:55 and 6:20, if you do not run the chronograph, the tail of large seconds hand is long enough and wide enough that obscures much of the hour hand and the rest of the hand blends in with the subdial. The first time I looked down and couldn't find the hour hand I though the minute hand was under the hour hand and the watch was broken. Running the chronograph function avoids that issue.

I visited lot of nice shops. I almost bought a ready to wear Rubinacci navy blazer. I met Lucca and he was very nice and we had a good chat. However, he had to attend to a call, and left me with a sales person who didn't want to have the tailor adjust the collar of the jacket (something I have to have done on almost any jacket that isn't MTM). She just kept pulling on the jacket and smoothing it out saying it was fine, and all she wanted to adjust was the length of the sleeves. To me the neck/collar wasn't a good enough fit and if they weren't willing to have the tailor fix it, then I wasn't willing to purchase it.

The people in shops and restaurants were very friendly and incredibly understanding of our very limited ability to speak or understand Italian...and the lunch and dinners were fantastic. I was slightly surprised by their breakfasts, most places it was lots of pastries and croissants...all the croissants started to make me feel like I was in France :rotflmao: . The Giorgio Armani Museum was quite interesting as they had some of his vintage collections and movie in which he was interviewed. We also went to several of the car museums. Although, I'm not a huge Alfa guy, their museum was probably the nicest one even compared to Lamborghini, Ferrari, or Maser. It was fun seeing a show car that I remember as a matchbox toy car that friends owned. Overall it was a really good vacation.

A few random pix of from the trip...

the view at lunch in Bellagio

A Riva Aquarama on Lake Como

Awesome. Looks like a great trip. Take your Explorer II next time. As you know, I wore mine most of the time including two dinners in Navigli (where the canals are).

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All fair points. I think we’re going to see availability improve dramatically as the world economy continues to slow down. The chrono is a great watch too. A big part of my bias against it is also that I already have a dedicated dress chronograph (Zenith heritage 146) so it just doesn’t fill a personal niche so neatly.
Your JLC is awesome. I like it better than the new chrono. There was a limited edition red and limited edition blue one that I prefer as I would wear it exclusive casually.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaboo