• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Count me in the camp that loves BOTH the Speedy and Daytona. For me not all are created equal though. I like most of the OF Daytonas, but I hate the OF strap. What's worse is Rolex not offering an option of the same watch on a bracelet. I also love some LE Speedys, others I can do without. At the end of the day though they're both garbage when compared to a MoonSwatch.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but not really. The Daytona goes for almost $150K on the gray market, while you can get the Speedy at or below MSRP. Price is one thing, value is another.
Except the Sedna and Canopus gold Speedmasters aren't available below MSRP. Those are boutique only. I haven't seen anything mention of the Moonshine gold being boutique only though.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It gives people who would never dream of spending mid-four figures on a watch a taste of luxury. Like if Hermes partnered with H&M to produce a bag that kind of looked like a Birkin. Or Thomas Keller started a chain of restaurants called "The Laundromat" that replicated the French Laundry dining experience with lesser quality ingredients and less refined cooking techniques.
joel robuchon, Bernard loiseau and another Michelin starred chef all had tv dinner lines in France… I think Patek and Armitron should do a collaboration and Rolex with Casio too.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't quite understand why everyone keeps saying this. The comparable John Meyer green dial full gold Daytona sells for $37,550 while the Speedmaster is $34,800. When you compare the rubber strap versions, Rolex is $29,200 vs $26,200 for the Omega. Both are priced where it should be near its main competitor.

They are both priced crazy. :wink:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are both priced crazy. :wink:
It's kinda wild that the yellow gold Daytona goes for so much more than the white gold one, all thanks to a man in a kini.

1648407954776.png

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's kinda wild that the yellow gold Daytona goes for so much more than the white gold one, all thanks to a man in a kini.

View attachment 1771853

It's just the green dial I think, right? Other full yellow gold Daytonas like the black dial don't trade for nearly as much. With that being said, the green dial is gorgeous and probably one of my favorite green dials on any watch, but not worth anywhere near the premium to me.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How it looks on my 7 1/4 inch wrist.
IMG_20220327_144639.jpg
IMG_20220327_144728.jpg

Got some nice weight and the rubber band feels very comfortable for a 2 minute wear. I may borrow this from my wife once in a while.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1771853
Seriously though, I thinkj that the John Mayers of the world make the hobby more fun, and the watchs he talks about have personal stories behind them, and while it's clear that he is a watch nerd, he also has an appreciation for the absurd and the historical curiousity of functions. I've rarely heard him throw shade. I like to imagine that he doesn't because he has a broad apprecition for watches, Some people seem to think that being super citical of things makes you more objective. I personally think that it just makes things less enjoyable. Tbat's different from a deep analysis mixed with self-analysis though.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously though, I thinkj that the John Mayers of the world make the hobby more fun, and the watchs he talks about have personal stories behind them, and while it's clear that he is a watch nerd, he also has an appreciation for the absurd and the historical curiousity of functions. I've rarely heard him throw shade. I like to imagine that he doesn't because he has a broad apprecition for watches, Some people seem to think that being super citical of things makes you more objective. I personally thin that it just makes things less enjoyable. Tbat's different from a deep analysis mixed with self-analysis though.
Totally agree. Like after you get over the fact the world was introduced to John Mayer through Your Body is a Wonderland, I actually like him a lot. He clearly just has a real passion and appreciation for watches.

Now that I don’t look at watches as much as I used to, kinda embarrassed I used to care so much about date windows like they personally offended me. Glad to see people around who just focus on what they like.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s the lack of a date window that is offensive. You aren’t embarrassed but rather coming to a natural conclusion that civilized people have already determined.
Is it Terrible Takes Only day?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. Like after you get over the fact the world was introduced to John Mayer through Your Body is a Wonderland, I actually like him a lot. He clearly just has a real passion and appreciation for watches.

Now that I don’t look at watches as much as I used to, kinda embarrassed I used to care so much about date windows like they personally offended me. Glad to see people around who just focus on what they like.

I don't know that much about John Mayer outside of his obvious love of watches. I just did read this though: https://www.insider.com/john-mayer-problematic-controversies-timeline-racism-sexism and based on that alone, my take is that he has had... problematic relationships and that maybe he needs to learn when it's best to stfu. But at the same time, at least ffrom that article, he doesn't seem like a partiularly toxic person, and it's his candor and self-deprecatimg humor that makes him an intresting watch commentator.

I have loved the yellow gold Day ate forever. With the wooden dial and the bark bracelet. I mean, if you are going to go, you may has well go all the way.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s the lack of a date window that is offensive. You aren’t embarrassed but rather coming to a natural conclusion that civilized people have already determined.
I actually like "a" date window, and even see the charm in the Rolex Window, but I do wish that more watches had their date windows not at 3:00.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of yellow gold, white gold (to me) looks too much like SS so if I were ever to go PM it would be something unique like Rolex everose or the new Omega moonshine. I can appreciate white gold or the Canopus gold I just wouldn’t buy one.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member