• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the grey and blue combination, but it's a YM so in the end... nope.

Would love seeing the grey/blue combo on the Sub/SD models.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything besides red on a sub or sd would be cringeworthy. The YM is the diver'ish platform where Rolex does that sort of design.

eton97

Reaction score
Here's some double red
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a nice example. The case looks sharp and fat. I should have bought one 15 years ago.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed. Superb lungs, and very nice lugs too.

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
60 pages back, working my way through the last six months...don't think I've posted this yet. Heuer Solunagraph, developed for Orvis, retailed in '60's-'70's. Believe this is gen 1, used to time the lunar hours for friskier fish/upland birds, based on Valjoux 21.

RcERv1nl.jpg

Last edited:

OzWino

Reaction score
My knowledge of vintage watches is somewhat limited, so I'm definitely at the 'learning more' stage of my journey. But ive been looking at 1960's Heuer (Carrera) watches and someone also recommended Zenith. A brand I have even less knowledge.

So how would you compare Zenith vs Heuer in the 1960s/70s. Ie is one a better 'brand' from a resale point of view, or does one have a better movement, anything to be cautious of? Given that they are now both part of LVMH I assume they are both NOW of comparable quality.

Thanks for your learned opinions.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty naive to assume that brands owned by the same luxury conglomerate are in any way comparable. I guess ALS must be the same quality as IWC since they're both wholely owned by richemont.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Anything besides red on a sub or sd would be cringeworthy.

Zenith vs Heuer in the 1960s/70s....I assume they are both NOW of comparable quality.

I don't know enough to compare how they were in the 70s, but in your shoes I'd be happy buying either: they're both looking good value compared to the likes of Rolex and Omega who spend so much on their modern brand image, boosting their vintage prices (and the number of dodgy fakes). I'm sure there are plenty of old ones that have been patched up cheaply, but not many that anyone would bother actually trying to replicate.

As for their modern incarnations, LVMH seems to be positioning Zenith above Tag Heuer: that seems to be their entry/aspirational luxury watch brand, while Zenith is going big on its history (El Primero) and dress watches, and Hublot catering for the gangsters and boy bands. :)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My knowledge of vintage watches is somewhat limited, so I'm definitely at the 'learning more' stage of my journey. But ive been looking at 1960's Heuer (Carrera) watches and someone also recommended Zenith. A brand I have even less knowledge.

So how would you compare Zenith vs Heuer in the 1960s/70s. Ie is one a better 'brand' from a resale point of view, or does one have a better movement, anything to be cautious of? Given that they are now both part of LVMH I assume they are both NOW of comparable quality.

Thanks for your learned opinions.

I don't know enough to compare how they were in the 70s, but in your shoes I'd be happy buying either: they're both looking good value compared to the likes of Rolex and Omega who spend so much on their modern brand image, boosting their vintage prices (and the number of dodgy fakes). I'm sure there are plenty of old ones that have been patched up cheaply, but not many that anyone would bother actually trying to replicate.

As for their modern incarnations, LVMH seems to be positioning Zenith above Tag Heuer: that seems to be their entry/aspirational luxury watch brand, while Zenith is going big on its history (El Primero) and dress watches, and Hublot catering for the gangsters and boy bands. :)

I agree with Mimo that Tag Heuer is generally (with a couple of exceptions) a more "entry level" watch brand in LVMH's stable, whereas Zenith is regarded as being on a higher tier and is generally more expensive as a consequence.

Interestingly, though, vintage Heuers seem to be valued considerably more highly than vintage Zenith watches.

There are no doubt some exceptions but you can pick up vintage Zenith pretty cheaply, whereas most "classic" Heuer models (Carrera, Autavia and Monaco in particular) are now worth a pretty penny. Autavia models from the 1960s/very early 1970s (the round, Carrera-style case versions), in particular, have skyrocketed in value over the past decade.

As I think that we discussed a couple of months back in this thread, TAG Heuer put out a re-edition of the Heuer Carrera with a manual-wind Lemania movement back in the late 1990s, which are very nice and can be found for quite reasonable prices nowadays. They're rather like an Omega Speedmaster but look a bit dressier as they don't have the external bezel of the Speedmaster.

Here's an article on the re-edition, which is worth having a look at:

http://www.calibre11.com/heuer-carrera-1964-re-edition/

TAG Heuer also put out a re-edition of the 1970s Autavia in the late 1990s or very early 2000s, but it wasn't terribly popular - I think that it was too large and, unlike the Carrera re-edition, it said TAG Heuer on the dial, instead of just having the vintage Heuer logo.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads