• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jellyroller

Reaction score
I have a LMSM cotton chore jacket that I love, and a wool one from PWVC that's also great.

Never owned a drakes chore jacket, but I'd plug those two other brands as great value for the price.

I’d second this. I really like my LMSM chore coats but the sizing is a bit tricky. I also have one from J. Crew’s upper end or whatever line Wallace and Barnes that I like quite a bit. I’ve seen Le Labourer chore coats recommended but have no experience with them.

Last week I ordered a Permanent Style linen overshirt (not quite a chore coat, but close) and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

astrobuoy

Reaction score
I feel like I asked that but does the selvedge chore jacket fit true to size? I don’t want the slouchy vibe, just a « normal » fit.
I've got a Drake's selvedge chore in a dark stone wash, in a 46. I'm typically a 42ish (like in a Games blazer) and could easily go 44 for a normal fit. I feel like a 42 in the chore would be too slim.

The selvedge is wonderful, substantial but super soft and with a great "hairiness" to it. Unfortunately I think I'm going to move it on and look for a smaller size

goonerble

Reaction score
I've got a Drake's selvedge chore in a dark stone wash, in a 46. I'm typically a 42ish (like in a Games blazer) and could easily go 44 for a normal fit. I feel like a 42 in the chore would be too slim.

The selvedge is wonderful, substantial but super soft and with a great "hairiness" to it. Unfortunately I think I'm going to move it on and look for a smaller size

So you think one size up in the selvedge chore vs normal size would do the job?

astrobuoy

Reaction score
So you think one size up in the selvedge chore vs normal size would do the job?
Yeah, that's my 2¢. 42 is my TTS but I'd go one size up in a chore, at least the selvedge one. And sounds like the same case for wahnamhong:

I also have a practically unworn Japanese navy moleskin chore, but I want to sell it as I just prefer the wool one. As for fit, I’m inbetween a 42 and 44 and for chores will often take the 44.

slows2k

Reaction score
I have the navy herringbone jungle jacket and it definitely runs large, much larger than chore jackets of the same label size. Initially tried going TTS but it was vast so ended up sizing down. Even one size down there is plenty of room to layer.
Thanks very much for this. I went ahead and ordered the size down after your advice and checking the other measurements at the site. lets see if this stupid jungle jacket is worth it...

I actually ended up ordering through the Drakes on Canal St in NYC, they were very helpful on the phone and easy to work with.

Reaction score
Thanks very much for this. I went ahead and ordered the size down after your advice and checking the other measurements at the site. lets see if this stupid jungle jacket is worth it...

I actually ended up ordering through the Drakes on Canal St in NYC, they were very helpful on the phone and easy to work with.
Hope you enjoy the jacket - it's probably my most worn piece due to how versatile it is.

Unrelated but has anyone noticed that the flat front chino in different colours appears to be different weights of fabric? I have a tobacco and navy pair and have just picked up ecru but these seem to be noticeably lighter fabric. I can't tell if I've missed something obvious or these should all be the same? Furthermore, my older pairs have the little D flag embroidered like the photos on the website but my latest pair have no such logo - not a game changer as I'd prefer no logo to a logo but something interesting to note.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LMSM = le Mont St. Michael

PWVC = Private White V.C.

I understand that Drake's nails the "look" better than anyone else, but IME Private White clothes are all of very high quality and borderline "over-engineered." They put a lot of thought into construction to ensure a long life.

Haven't bought much from them in the last few years, hopefully that's still the case.

astrobuoy

Reaction score
3b1804df5b12436c995eedf63bb93c7d

aba.gif

Velahrn

Reaction score
I agree as well. In my opinion, Drake's strength was always their collaborations. Rather than producing everything in-house, they partnered with brands that excel in their respective fields: Valstar for flight jackets, Arpenteur for chore coats, Mackintosh or Cohérence for rainmacs, Alden for shoes and boots, Fedeli for piqué polos and swimwear…the list goes on. It preserved the integrity of Drake's specialty in made-in-England ties and shirts and all the aforementioned brands produce in their native countries: Italy, France, Japan, USA, etc. It was a great way to get introduced to brands I hadn't been aware of before.

Now, Drake's attempts to make everything, mostly inferior in quality and in lower-cost countries yet sells at much higher prices. I get it…that's how the business grows and evolves but it leaves me yearning for the Drake's of years past. It's slowly turning into a J.Crew or Ralph Lauren and I don't mean that in a good way.

The is a name for this process: enshittification. It happend to many brands before, like Hunter, Sorel, currently is happening to Filson etc.

See this chart:

muffy-vendor-chart-4.jpg

(from http://www.ivy-style.com/from-quality-to-pr-muffys-lifespan-of-trad-clothiers.html )

So expect that the price of Drake's will only increase, and the production will move to countries like Bangladesh eventually...

woO

Reaction score

astrobuoy

Reaction score
Well, that's a chore jacket truly used as a chore jacket! (unless the owner accidentally washed it with bleach…)
It's gotta be an accidental (and costly) bleach wash. But you have to admire the chutzpah to turn around and sell it as a Drake's tie dye chore coat for $300. When life gives you lemons...

ikoiko

Reaction score
It's gotta be an accidental (and costly) bleach wash. But you've got admire the chutzpah to turn around and sell it as a Drake's tie dye chore coat for $300. When life gives you lemons...
The person seems to really love tie dye, so it might have been intentional. If you can talk them down a bit, you could make quick work giving it a new dye job.

astrobuoy

Reaction score
If you can talk them down a bit, you could make quick work giving it a new dye job.
The thought actually crossed my mind! At 36 it's too small for me by a wide margin, but for the right person that's a great idea. I came across a video of a guy who'd dyed his chore coat or jacket (I think a summer Drake's piece) and it came out great, though of course now I can't find the video

Kid_Icarus

Reaction score
The thought actually crossed my mind! At 36 it's too small for me by a wide margin, but for the right person that's a great idea. I came across a video of a guy who'd dyed his chore coat or jacket (I think a summer Drake's piece) and it came out great, though of course now I can't find the video
Maybe you’re thinking of this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads