• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ryanginger

Reaction score
I think Toronto has some pretty solid Thai food... ...if you're here for a bit consider that (I can PM you some personal favorites).

I'd love to hear these. I moved here from Vancouver a little over a year ago and I'm still finding my go-to restaurants, especially Thai and Indian.

Firefox

Reaction score
I went for dim sum at Pearl Harbourfront when my parents were in town a few years ago. It's pretty pricey, especially if you compare to the offerings in the suburbs. However, it's right on the waterfront so it has a nice view. The quality seems pretty good as well (although I'm not exactly a dim sum connoisseur). If you aren't worried about getting great value, it's not a bad option, especially if you are going to be downtown doing touristy stuff.

Last edited:

zinc2162

Reaction score
I thought Dynasty at Yorkville is pretty decent for a downtown location. Yes it is more expensive but I think it would be a good option if going to Markham is out of the question. Bonus: there are couple of nice shops around the area you can visit after the meal.

Chambertin

Reaction score
FYI, my husband and I will be visiting Toronto for the first time (for both of us) from the 7th to the 10th of November, staying downtown. Any suggestions as to things to do/places to visit/ restaurants/ etc. would be appreciated - PM me. Particular attention would be paid to good Chinese dim sum (my husband is ethnically Chinese, and quite the connoissieur of dim sum).

Caveat: I'm a foodie but Asian food is not my forte.

I would suggest Lai Wah Heen or Suser Lee's place, Lucky. I've been to both and found them very enjoyable. I've only read great things about R&D though it's not dim sum or traditional.

Bjorling

Reaction score
For Thai, there are 4 places I really like:

Suko Thai - 274 Parliament St. Not the greatest neighbourhood, take a cab and don't expect to do anything else in that area. Safe though, as most of Toronto is. It is closed from 2-5pm, can be tough to get a seat a lunch, but early dinner time it is easier.

Pai - 18 Duncan St. Walkable from anywhere in the downtown area, located in the entertainment district. Place is crowded, so try going a bit off normal eating hours.

Sabai Sabai - 225 Church St. Bit of a walk from the central part of downtown. Usually easy to get a seat.

Kao San Road - 326 Adelaide West. Never been but hear good things about the food, but expect to wait for a seat (being from New York, that should be no problem for you). Right in the downtown.

Suko Thai - 52 Wellington St East. Close to most of the downtown. The food is good, but not as good as the parent restaurant at the top of the list, IMO. (In fact, I think all of these restaurants are connected in some way). No problem getting seats.

Enjoy the city, even though we are not in the World Series :(

burgerkong

Reaction score
Here's why I suggested going north of the city, immigrants are no longer settling in either Chinatown, rather going to Markham as there's a much bigger group of Asians here. As such, there's a lot more variety here and arguably better quality. Trust, it's worth it.

joelscott7

Reaction score
While not Asian, I would recommend Richmond Station for one of your meals. Khao San Road has very good Thai, put you will likely have to wait. If you are out walking around I would suggest stopping by Kensington Market, there are many shops that have small things to get, so you can make a meal of that.

For dim sum I would suggest Rosewood in China town. If you are interested in Hakka, I would recommend Spadina Garden (Oddly located on Dundas near the Eaton's center)

Last edited:

TOstyle

Reaction score
For Thai, there are 4 places I really like:

Suko Thai - 274 Parliament St. Not the greatest neighbourhood, take a cab and don't expect to do anything else in that area. Safe though, as most of Toronto is. It is closed from 2-5pm, can be tough to get a seat a lunch, but early dinner time it is easier.

Pai - 18 Duncan St. Walkable from anywhere in the downtown area, located in the entertainment district. Place is crowded, so try going a bit off normal eating hours.

Sabai Sabai - 225 Church St. Bit of a walk from the central part of downtown. Usually easy to get a seat.

Kao San Road - 326 Adelaide West. Never been but hear good things about the food, but expect to wait for a seat (being from New York, that should be no problem for you). Right in the downtown.

Suko Thai - 52 Wellington St East. Close to most of the downtown. The food is good, but not as good as the parent restaurant at the top of the list, IMO. (In fact, I think all of these restaurants are connected in some way). No problem getting seats.

Enjoy the city, even though we are not in the World Series
frown.gif
I agree with this list, and I'd add Golden Thai on Richmond and Real Thailand on Bloor St. Golden Thai has good atmosphere and great service. Real Thailand isn't going to blow you away, it's just a good neighborhood resto (which speaks to the quality in the city generally). For sure you're waiting at Khao San and Golden Thai, and likely at Pai (but they do the take your number and call you thing).

And I say this as a guy who just had one of those fast food Thai restaurants, and it was terrible. These restaurants you're all going to enjoy your meal at, and it'll be $20 pp tops.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah was going to say that I know we have a Chinatown and all but my favorite asian food here in the city has been Thai, Korean, etc, and other ethnicities like Indian.

Khao San road is one of my favorites. It's 'street' Thai so much richer and thicker stuff, also note that it's really noisy (my parents complained).
Indian, yep Banjara looks like nothing but is very solid, I live right near there and walk over pretty often.
For Korean, million places here in Koreatown on Bloor. I can't say any one of them particularly stands out.
For Japanese, again there's a million places and maybe I'm being generic but I always love going to Guu Isakaya (either location). Of course if you're checking out 'the village' at some point then the Church location is right there.
For Mexican I love El Asador, which I think is actually El Salvadorian and Milagro's ok too.

Anyway that's just a random list, PM sent, I've got a list of some restaurants, clothing stores, and general things to see and do.

TOstyle

Reaction score
Agreed. The Korean is great, and the Indian is solid. The Guu's are good too.

The Mexican food is rubbish though. Not even worth speaking about. I don't eat it at all when I'm in Canada - it's definitely better south of the border - meaning both the USA and Mexico too of course (the Mexican is decent there).

Last edited:

MG85

Reaction score
Agreed. The Korean is great, and the Indian is solid. The Guu's are good too.

The Mexican food is rubbish though. Not even worth speaking about. I don't eat it at all when I'm in Canada - it's definitely better south of the border - meaning both the USA and Mexico too of course (the Mexican is decent there).

La Carnita, Grand Electric and Playa Cabana are all pretty decent taco spots. Also huge fan of Wilbur for something quick.

Another +1 for Khao San Road and Pai. Suko Thai is good but a level below for me.

aiur55

Reaction score
Contrary to popular opinion here, I actually didn't find Khao San Road that great. I had a great time there, but the food was only mediocre even compared to food court thai at first markham place.

BUT since you are looking for good dim sum, Lai Wah Heen would be the top of my list. It is by far the best Cantonese cuisine in the city.

akoustas

Reaction score
Assuming you're making a short visit, I would not recommend heading up to Markham for Chinese food. Yes it's better, yes it's cheaper but you'll be stuck in traffic for who knows how long and it's a decent ride even without congestion. Not the best use of your vacation time IMHO, and this is coming from someone who's headed up there tonight just for some dumplings!

Any of the downtown locations mentioned would be more than adequate, and I think perhaps we're a bit choosy here when it comes to ethnic food as we're fortunate to have some of the best, if not the best, in the world (except Greek which is generally awful).

I'd recommend going to Dundas or Spadina and finding any of the places mentioned, then walking through the University of Toronto Campus (setting for countless films) and ending up at Yorkville where there's shopping and dining to your hearts content.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads